When can we expect a new patch?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Arachnis, October 15, 2013.

1. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

Another person who didn't read the thread.
  2. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Please do keep this ability healthy. You'll keep needing it to stay sane. Even use it against me if needed. You guys are doing a hell of a job and i think few people besides you could pull this off
    Grimseff and LavaSnake like this.
  3. Devak

Devak Post Master General

You could give it a less misleading name then.

But seriously. Iterative development simply does not have an ETA. You can aim for things, but there's so many unknowns. One bug can stand between a release on friday or next friday. I've checked these boards since Alpha and your stance has been represented dozens of times. What's been proven is that releasing -or even talking about-stuff too soon can do more harm than good.
    Gorbles and LavaSnake like this.
  4. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Every moment we put into doing live streams is time we aren't putting into the game. So we can put a lot more work into live streams (they already burn multiple man days per stream) or we can just make the game.

Our actual internal processes are not really amenable to stopping and asking for advice from the community on every little thing. We release builds, we look at the geshtalt, make decisions and continue moving forward. I'm building my vision for the game we pitched in the kickstarter and using you guys to test the results as we go.

If you don't like that process that's fine but there isn't any other realistic way to do it from my perspective.
    Grimseff, Quitch, gadarn and 5 others like this.
  5. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

It's not just the Dev's that get that kind of anger. When I've crashed out through some bug I've got it even though you try and explain that its just a game (and I couldn't have prevented it).

Oh and yes and you mentioned this;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobayashi_Maru

People need to take into account programmers are the fifth most sleep deprived profession - its a lot of work to do just a little feature. Frankly I am amazed at what Uber has done in such short a time with a much smaller budget than other companies - I'm not just saying that, I really am surprised. maybe its the experience making similiar games that helped speed it up.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  6. Arachnis

If you want my honest opinion:
    If those livestreams are that demanding on your workforce, then just stop doing them and make the game.
    You don't need them to convince people to play the game. In the end the quality of the game will decide if they will play it or not. Also youtubers like ZaphodX and others are more likely to convince people to play the game than the livestreams.
    And this game will be E-Sports oriented. That, imo, will create more than enough publicity.
    Posting those advances in development in the forums instead would just be as effective.

But that's just my opinion.

Greetings
    matty999 likes this.
  7. archcommander

Its a catch 22. If they do them people will say 'there wasn't enough' and if they don't people will be like 'when are you going to do the next live stream?'.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  8. Arachnis

They won't if they tell them that there won't be any more livestreams.
  9. archcommander

If only people were more reasonable then there wouldn't even be an issue!
  10. Arachnis

For me that's a no-brainer.
    If it's either livestream or making the game, then I'd obviously root for making the game.
    It would also mean that we'd get patches sooner... har har har :D
    archcommander likes this.
  11. Arachnis

Maybe we should make a poll about this?
  12. archcommander

Maybe we should make a poll:
    1. Should you be an *** to the developers because they don't do what you want when you want it?
    2. Should we be realistic about what human beings can actually do and that people can't please everyone all of the time?
    LavaSnake and Arachnis like this.
  13. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

I'd say they're doing an amazing job of both keeping us informed and improving PA at an inhuman pace. We should just be thankful for all the great work that Uber is doing and enjoy PA.
  14. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

The meaning of insanity is posting the same whine over and over again, expecting different results. The communication from uber is fine, how many game companies do you know that let you play a game while its being made?
  15. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

That said, I did enjoy that stream purely because I learnt how bloom works. It's an oddly simply process.

Doesn't matter how many people bitch and moan about what's not in the streams, you'll always have me fanboying over the engineering talks.

I'd like to know what sort of blurring algorithm is used. Is it a simple average over neighbouring pixels, or is there a more complex filter kernel? [EDIT:] Moved this question to a different thread.
    Last edited: October 15, 2013
    archcommander and LavaSnake like this.
  16. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

Exactly. Uber is in my group of "Epic Companies" for that reason (and their mad dev skills), and trust me when I say it's a small group.

Same here. The engineering/programming/backend parts are always my favorite.
    shotforce13 likes this.
  17. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

Ouch.
    That's really hurtful man.

1. It's beta. At this point, you're testing the game for them in it's current status. It is not the time for demanding fixes or updates.It's done when they say it's done.

2. Livestream was cool.
      But they are also not obligated to do these either.

I am curious why we didn't have a top 5 community questions, but I think that's more on us as the community.

In fact, if you consider what they have built in this short of a time.
    You will understand that they technical wizards.

While we may not agree with every game decision they make, you gotta remember that ultimately it's their game to make.
  18. gobbygee

gobbygee Member

Don't worry uber team, we all still love you, I think some people are just a bit in patient. You guys put so much info and time into the forums, I don't think over ever felt like I don't know what you guys are working on! Live streams are just. Bonus in my eyes.

Plus at the moment pa is my fav RTS and it's not even finished so just keep doing what your doing!

I do love the progress with the backstory ATM, even if it makes commanders look like scavengers. Lol.
    LavaSnake and Arachnis like this.
  19. gabooo

gabooo Member

@neutrino I like whatever you can throw at us. Being used to absolutely no information at all from the majority of other game developers, getting involved that much is fun. While I like new sutff, silence is gold, too. It's keyboards suffering dev input and an ever improving game ...
    LavaSnake and maxpowerz like this.
  20. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm too little confused, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the livestream, they showcased the HDR which we are now using and that is a pretty big deal in itself actually. Little disapointed with their game crashing at the end there when the planets were about to smash but really, its good to see where the game is at in their hands and thats basically what they show in the livestreams, where they are currently at, and whats planed in the near future for us.... can you really complain about that?