Very bad framerate - any advice?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by dallonf, October 19, 2013.

1. dallonf

dallonf Active Member

I have all of my settings on Low and most special effects turned off, but I usually can't get more than ~8 FPS in a game. I know that the game's not yet been optimized, but my computer isn't underpowered by any means so I suspect that there might be something else wrong with my set up. If anyone has advice, it would be greatly appreciated, I'd love to be able to test the game at a smooth speed.

(DxDiag attached)

Attached Files:

2. c4ptainpronin

c4ptainpronin Active Member

If you use steam, use the PA launcher instead.
    Also, check if your drivers are up to date.
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

4. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

Are you using SLI?
  5. 6animalmother9

6animalmother9 Member

I found that it makes no odds about whether you use the Steam executable instead. The Drivers however are the major cause for my slowdown. Up-to-date drivers will give you the ideal FPS.
  6. SXX

SXX Post Master General

He have latest drivers already. Different people have different problems.
  7. alopex2lagopus

alopex2lagopus Member

I am getting same issue. Very low FPS, even when I am not running in full screen mode. I am not an expert, so this may be a foolish question, but does it matter that I am running Xeon processors, versus the i3/i5/i7 series of processors? Is processor 'family' part of game optimization? I was contemplating getting a second HD 5770 for crossfire, but I am unsure if this will make an appreciable difference.

Attached Files:

8. rick104547

rick104547 Member

Xeon processors usually have very low clockspeeds compared to normal processors. This hurts singlethreaded performance alot. Currently the game doesnt use more than 1 core.
  9. occusoj

occusoj Active Member

No. CF doesnt and most likely will not ever work.
    Besides that, even two 5770 are pretty weak by todays standard.
  10. alopex2lagopus

alopex2lagopus Member

Right in the daddy parts!!!! I know 5770's aren't exactly today's 6gb Titans by any means, but I am limited to what my Mac Pro can handle. As for crossfire not working, I would have to point you to (name a reputable website) here. Benchmarks for cards in single versus crossfire configurations almost unilaterally shows an increase in performance. Not sure why you would think CF is no good. There's snake oil, than there's snake oil. By contemplating the addition of a 5770 in a CF configuration, I am under no illusions that my performance will magically jump to what are today's standards, but I am certain that I would see performance gains. Just what those gains are, well, they are an unknown.

I can run any other game I have on Steam on full everything at 2560X1440 and they seem to run fine. So i suppose I am trying to figure out if my low FPS is more a result of an un-optimized Beta, or a serious lack in hardware ( keeping in mind i have a 7 year old computer that I spent nearly 6500 dollars on at the time - and it seems to still be going strong) so it would be hard to justify a replacement, however the addition of another card, that I could do..
    Last edited: October 20, 2013
  11. alopex2lagopus

alopex2lagopus Member

Now THIS is interesting, and most likely, where I am losing out to the I3/I5/I7 crowd pushing well beyond 3 GHz in most cases. my two quad-core Xeons are only pushing 2.66 GHz. Alas, That may be the sticky wicket. I really do not want to replace my computer for a game ( even a game as fun as this) although the new Mac Pros are coming out this fall!!

Any idea if PA will be ( at a later date) able to multithread? I remember back in the Kickstarter videos, there was mention of the game being able to utilize and scale to as much available RAM as was available, why not do the same for processor cores! I've got 7 other cores stuck in the time-out chair in the corner that just want to play!!!!!!!!
  12. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

alopex, replace the gfx card you got as its really becoming obsolete, yes may be able to run other games just fine, but really with the next gen games that'll start to spue out slowly next year, those cards just simply wont be cutting it much longer, your CPUS are perfectly fine, dual xeon processesors is very powerfully, even at 2.66Ghz thats not the cause of your slow down. Crossfire/Sli is in-compatable with the game right now, its the graphics card that is the cause of your slow downs, so dont even bother getting a 2nd card, just get a new one. AMD just got a fix in the latest patch for some things so im guessing there are issues when it comes to using Radeon cards? Either way, no need to replace your computer, you just need a graphics card bump. A single GTX 760 is more powerfull then 2 5870s together, more powerful then 2 GTX 560s in SLi... thats how much of a leap in awesome the newer cards are... Its just simply worth upgraded for 250$.. its nothing compared to a whole new machine which you dont need to do....
  13. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Alopex, your graphics drivers are date.
    I also have the same card as you but running at 1080p resolution. You may want to scaled down your resolution to 1080p. By setting resolution scaling to -1 on the slider. PA runs fine for me other than some leg in the mid-to end game and the graphics settings are set to medium. Probably just more tolerant than a lot of people. Considering they plan to support Intel HD graphics.
  14. rick104547

rick104547 Member

The problem is single threaded performance of dual xeon cpu's will be much worse than todays i3/i5/i7. Sure when all cores are used they are more powerfull but PA doesnt do that and even when it does there is a good chance today mainstream i5/i7 will get you better fps.

For games you dont want alot of cores. 9 out of 10 times having better singlethreaded performance is better than getting a octacore instead of a quadcore.

Also i read that your cpu is 7 years old. This probably means that even at the same clockspeed todays cpu's would crush it. Can i ask what xeon cpu you exactly have?
  15. alopex2lagopus

alopex2lagopus Member

Thanks for the advice on that. I have been looking at benchmark scores for other cards, and the 5770 is definitely long in the tooth, but my limitation will always be my Mac Pro, which only has PCIe X1 to my knowledge, and is only running EFI32. It might be time to just retire this old beast when push comes to shove!?
  16. alopex2lagopus

alopex2lagopus Member

I have already scaled it down to a window that is roughly 1/3 the size of my 27" WQHD monitor. that seemed to help, but I am still not getting much above 30 FPS (a the beginning of a match) and then down into the 8-10 range towards the end. I think its a combination of older processors and GPU. I have not tried the scale slider to -1 thing, so I will try that today and report back.
  17. alopex2lagopus

alopex2lagopus Member

Yeah, I totally see what you are getting at. and for the longest time, this computer just did what I needed it to. 3D part design in Inventor, and movie/photo editing with the Adobe Suite. PA is honestly the first game I've played on a computer since Star Craft back in 2002/2003. I actually boot-camped my mac and threw Windows 7 on it, just to run Steam and PA better! ( I was running it in a VM of Windows with Parallels 8) <- that did not go over very well..

The Processors are from the days of SLAED, and are specifically the X5355.

And thanks to everyone discussing this.
  18. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

19. alopex2lagopus

alopex2lagopus Member

Thanks, now that is an informative post!!! I will try on -1 and post back.
  20. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Actually you are wrong. When you decrease window size rendering resolution changes too, but yeah scaling is very useful function.