Lets talk about Radars....

Discussion in 'Support!' started by vorell255, October 18, 2013.

1. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

So currently (as of latest patch) we have 3 land based radar structures and 2 orbital type radars. I'm just curious about peoples opinions about how they function? Should they do just the same thing but more / bigger area or should they have different abilities / function?

---Brought from deeper in the thread---
    For me the current radar system isn't good enough. the basic land radar I never build because the scout plane seems better. The advanced radar I build If I don't think I will get to orbital fast enough. The basic orbital radar I haven't found a reason to build when can build the advanced orbital radar (Which obviously is the best one) and the new radar that lets you see deep space and the orbital layer of the current planet you are on seems a little silly. I think the new radar should only let you see the orbital layer of the planet you are on. I think the adv orbital radar we have now should show you deep space.
    Last edited: October 20, 2013
  2. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

well it would be kinda interesting if one radar was for land, one for air, one for orbital. So you couldn just make on in a few places and be safe against everything warning wise.

Still feel like personally, its to easy to get good radar coverage, making sneak attack seems very hard, because if you make say 3 radars you have so much of the planet, if not the entire planet.
  3. Reflexx85

Reflexx85 Member

or maybe one that shows high energy signatures or wpn's fire
  4. Reflexx85

Reflexx85 Member

or magnetic disturbances in highly developed areas
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Don't forget that it has as much to do with an given Radar's Range as it does planet size.

Mike
    LavaSnake and Reflexx85 like this.
  6. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

I think the new radar should be orbital for the planet you are on only....Deep space and system should be an orbital unit.
  7. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I think orbital radar should be removed because it makes me want to vomit.

Aside from that, it is actually logical to have radar range scale with planet size, because of the fact that, as your planet gets bigger, your horizon gets farther away from a raised point. So that would be nice.

Another thing I would like to see is intel/counterintelligence, by doubling or tripling current radar range and adding cheapo radar-defeating stealth fields.
  8. ftwrobert

ftwrobert New Member

I'm a fan of having specialized units. classic radar, los, counter intel, ground and orbital.

though, orbital los shouldn't see 100%. 50% max makes since.
  9. Reflexx85

Reflexx85 Member

Anti radar on the go!!!
  10. urbanmatador

urbanmatador New Member

i'm having this weird situation in which orbital radar will show me only white dots for the enemy, not actual units. orbital laser cannot target these dots, nor can nukes. my commander is off world; could that be related?
  11. urbanmatador

urbanmatador New Member

update: i realize my nukes were out of range. so it's just he orbitals that can't target. what am i doing wrong?
  12. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

Why does having a way to actually see orbital make you want to vomit?
  13. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

The bigger problem for sneak attacks is the lack of movement from units. The best we can do is use dox and hope they are quick enough. Its really dissapointing they are not planning multiple-unit transports, because without them, so many gameplay options are lost.
    Quitch likes this.
  14. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Elaborate?
  15. hahapants

hahapants Active Member

Wouldn't stealth generators solve 90% of the things you guys don't like so far?

Also, no more radars, there are far too many as it is. Soon I'll have to build radar just to find mass deposits, other planets, or my own base!

Why not units that contain their own radar or stealth fields? (navy or spy planes would be a good place to put some mobile radar)
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  16. Schulti

Schulti Active Member

You said this serveral times before. But why do you think, that multiple single-unit-transpoters with a good UI (areacommands, ferrysystem, etc.) wouldnt work the same?
  17. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

The dots is what radar displays for both units and buildings. The other icons appear when a unit is in range. These radar dots are targetable by nukes and such, but the orbital laser has given me issues too. I'm guessing Uber just isn't done with it and it has bugs as a result, but I could be wrong.
  18. gunshin

they are far too expensive to be viable. im not building a pure transport unit that costs more than the unit it is transporting. It defeats the purpose.
    Quitch likes this.
  19. gunshin

Sneak attacks for one.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  20. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

I second that. Multi unit transports would be quite helpful. Especially orbital ones.
    Quitch likes this.