Bad Panda

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by yefrums, October 18, 2013.

1. yefrums

yefrums New Member

Like the title says, my Panda AV program is deleting the PA.exe file and says it's a trojan in it :( calls is Trj/Genetic.gen. Got it today throu steam and really want to play it :)
  2. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

so make an exception.
  3. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Or get a better AV program. ;-) There is no reason (and no other AV software) that PA.exe should be being reported as anything. If you're getting a false positive on that, I'd be more scared what the AV is doing.

Or make an exception, but.. that sort of thing from an AV suite generally sets off huge red flags for me.
  4. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

hold up, i'm getting this too! This must be why PA won't let me play now
  5. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

6. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

Ya, it's not just Panda. We've seen reports come through about this. You'll have to find a way to disable what's flagging it. For Panda, that means emailing them. :confused:
    shootall and archcommander like this.
  7. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

Get Avast.
    Free & effective.
    stuart98 likes this.
  8. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

If you're in windows, honestly, Windows Defender does a better job than 90% of any paid versions.
    shootall, dallonf, tatsujb and 3 others like this.
  9. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

I use Avast myself. Never run into any issues using it.
  10. yefrums

yefrums New Member

by the look of it i might have fixed it :p had to reinstall PIS to solve another problem i had and by the looks of it it's fixed (for now until panda messes up again :p)
  11. Devak

Devak Post Master General

I use Kaspersky. Bonus points as it also blocks ads. It's relatively heavy software but i download quite a bit and Kaspersky kicks out even the suspicious stuff i authorize...and it's extremely rarely wrong.
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I've had avast attack copy protection systems of some games before. Not the usual case, but they can go mad, too.
    :S
  13. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

One of the best imo but I can't bring myself to buy anything they make due to the background of the owner and their connections with intelligence services and the Kremlin.
  14. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

avast sells their entire database to microsoft along with some other AVs hence linux>kaspersky (my fav)>defender > avast
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  15. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

Havent used anti-virus for 10 years. Never had a problem. Except one time I installed a bad cracked version of Photoshop when I was 20. I had to scrape my system32 folder manually but that turned out pretty easy and I was planning a re-format anyways. Reformat once every two years and life is fine. I dont use cracked software anymore, and never really did that often when I was young and jobless. Anti-virus is a virus in itself.
  16. tatsujb

It can sometimes ACTUALLY be infested by a virus and become itself a virus (that's what Garat was reffering to), which is the worst because you then think you're protected when you're actually furtest from it.

It becomes kind of obvious thought if you show it a file you know is avirus and it says it's clean.
  17. Ritaer

Ritaer New Member

I do not like some of the above suggestions. It is a bug concerning multiple AV scanners and people should not advice to make exception rules. Not all game PC's are soley for this purpose and mind contain privacy data. Maybe the steam d/l could be compromised. No one knows,s o untill official Uber Entertainment confirmation; no exception rule for me.
  18. tatsujb

you mean you're using panda too?
  19. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

Am i the only person using McAfee?
  20. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

How would you resolved the issue then? If antivirus vendor doesn't know about the problem yet?:confused: