Feel dumb asking

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ember11, October 14, 2013.

1. ember11

ember11 New Member

I started playing PA a few days ago. Love it so far with very few complaints. However I do have one issue that I can't seem to get past. I can't get any units to patrol. When I select the troops then select where I want them to patrol, they just walk to that location and stay there.

In past RTS games when I select my units and tell them were to patrol, they patrol between there current location and the location I set to patrol. However this does not occur within PA.

I'm sure it's just something I'm doing wrong.

Thanks,
  2. byrnghaer

byrnghaer Active Member

You should try holding down shift while trying to give them some patrol waypoints. :)
  3. Schulti

Schulti Active Member

Select unit.
    Select the patrol command.
    And use the left mousebutton and shift to place patrolpoints.
    Should work ;)
    Murcanic likes this.
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I think your problem is that at least currently you have always to add 2 points to the queue, the patrol does NOT include your current location by default.
    warrenkc likes this.
  5. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Yeah I struggled a bit with this too. It makes more logical sense, but it's hard adjusting from a lifetime of using the first move order as a part of the patrol order :p
    Tankh and tatsujb like this.
  6. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

I think your "lifelife" experience is more intuitive.

- Unit select
    - Patrol to there.

vs

- Unit select
    - Patrol to there.
    - Locate unit's original location.
    - Then click back to somewhere near where it stands.

You are not only have to click 1 extra spot, but having to move your mouse to X-location.
    Then you have to locate said unit on screen, then click back to where a unit already is.
    It's currently unnecessary make work.
    Especially if you take into account how "unit select" will likely be done via keyboard hotkeys.
    You don't have to locate, aim and click the unit, the select all of the same type.

- Control Group 1.
    - Patrol to there.

Less clicks, less fuss.
    tatsujb likes this.
  7. ember11

ember11 New Member

Works great! Thanks everyone!
  8. cwarner7264

Disagree - I'd say the new way makes more sense.

- select unit
    - patrol between these x number of points
    - don't even have to think about the units' current location

As I say, it takes a bit of getting used to, particularly for those of us with the old mechanics almost as second nature.

It will certainly help when Uber make the queued orders UI function a bit better too.
    corteks likes this.
  9. cola_colin

the current function isnt better. In the old system you could just tell a unit to go to x and patrol to y.
    tatsujb likes this.
  10. cwarner7264

But the 'old' system basically converted a move order into a patrol order. E.g. for a queued set of factory patrol orders, you had to select a move command and then a patrol command. This way you only have to set patrol waypoints.

It's personal preference I suppose - I wouldn't say one is better or worse than the other but I prefer the logic of this new patrol system.
  11. cola_colin

the old system needs one less click of the player in case he wants units to patrol from their current position. So it's better in terms of efficiency at least.
  12. cwarner7264

BUT it requires one additional click if he wants to make them patrol between locations that DON'T include their current location ;)
    corteks likes this.
  13. cola_colin

no:

old:
    right click to location x, select patrol, left click to location y

new:
    select patrol, left click x, left click y
    tatsujb likes this.
  14. corteks

corteks Active Member

Agreed. I would have never thought it worked like the "old system" and would've been confused why my units were moving around more than I told them too :p
  15. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

This is 100% the issue, it was bugging me for a bit too until I figured it out.
  16. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

No you wouldn't.
    you just have no idea...

I can't make you go through it but if you had, you'd understand. It's a billion times more intuitive, not once you think about it but once you've tried both.
    dudeeeeeeeee wth?

common man é_è I know deep down in you the just is trying to fight it's way out.
  17. cola_colin

I don't think I have a problem with either if the 2 choices. It's just that it needs to be known what system is used.
    corteks likes this.
  18. kingjohnvi

kingjohnvi Member

This. Though I prefer the new system now that I am used to it, it should probably be included in a tutorial (eventually) so that it is known to the players.
    corteks and cwarner7264 like this.
  19. corteks

corteks Active Member

You disagree with one method so anyone who agrees with it has no idea hey? *rolls eyes*

Converting a unit's current location into a patrol order is clearly not intuitive for some people. Just because you're used to something different doesn't make it right, and my post clearly offered MY perspective on the issue.

Personally I only want my units to perform orders I've explicitly given. Converting their current position into a DIFFERENT order ISN'T intuitive from my perspective. And this is a matter of opinion so please don't respond as if anyone who disagrees with you is objectively wrong, that doesn't actually help the discussion.
  20. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

1. If units do what you don't want to do, you're losing control.
    2. If it takes more actions to do, then the UI is clunky and needs refinement.
    I really haven't used patrol much yet.
    So maybe I can be more objective here....

Can you both count the # of actions it takes to do these? :p

1. Patrol from current location to New Location #1?
    2. Move from current location to New Location #1, then patrol from New Location #1 to New Location #2.

• Moving the mouse counts as 2 action.
    • Keyboard click for Control Group counts as 1 action.

Patrol Action with the least number of actions for #1 and #2 win.
    :cool:

I feel like Shao Kahn right now.
    Finish Him! ;)