Faction (customization)

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by blaze2500, October 10, 2013.

1. blaze2500

blaze2500 New Member

Alright so everyone knows that the Devs have proclaimed that there will be no faction diversification in terms of unit differences.

My idea is that instead of unit diversification, each faction have different tactics that work for them. Such as one faction's units line up in a formation akin to a phalanx while another's line's up in a skirmisher style.

Another Idea is that while units don't change, how that unit "behaves" in terms of some units shoot faster or have more health. Yes this would be late in development and possibly post-release.

With these faction customization's players could choose whether they wanted the "boxy slow moving" army or the "fast moving/firing, but easily destroyed" army.

The devs might "shoot me down" but that's alright I'm just trying to give out ideas as they come.

Thoughts? Additons? Contradictions? Go for it :)

*edit* I am basing my "Factions" ideas off of the factions that Uber has been creating as lore, Whether those will be implemented in game, I have no idea.
    Last edited: October 10, 2013
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I thought that counted as unit differences.
  3. blaze2500

blaze2500 New Member

Yes, however its not creating a whole new tree of units, only changing variables about the units. Make sense? and (though I don't know much about programming *Please correct me if I'm wrong*) its probably easier than creating a whole new group of units.
  4. Si1Foo

Si1Foo New Member

wouldn't work as for most games fastermoving / firing will win because there more mobile and can kite the slower units if proberly microed and having it as a choice before the match even starts causes more problems because it will start the rock paper scissor bullcrap where 1 race always has the advantage againist this

a good example is star craft 1 it took them many a year too get it even remotely balanced and to fix all the bugs

changing variables about units mid match would cause problems so i would have too say this is a bad idea

what they need too do is ad more standard units heck i would like to see them move all the advanced factory units too the standard but have them build really slow
  5. lilbthebasedlord

lilbthebasedlord Active Member

I don't think so. That's pretty much how multiple races works, just with more art assets. FA was fine without the "rock paper scissors bullcrap", and you can't say that unit diversity(read:missing analogs) did away with RPS.

Think about it. ARM and CORE were pretty much the same thing, they both had T1 tank T1 bots etc, just different models and stats. Sure an analog was missing sometimes, but does that really matter?

While we are trying to save money by not having to develop two or three times as many 3d models and textures, changing unit values doesn't take much. It's the balance where man hours will be consumed.
    I guess it would be hard to quickly visually tell what kind of unit you are fighting against.

Also, this sort of physically makes sense, not that it matters, but if you have a bigger engine, you can't have as big of a gun, or more armor, you can't move as fast.

Maybe we are beating a dead horse here since the whole, this is the best thing for killing, why use anything else?
    LavaSnake likes this.
  6. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

From what I've heard there will be no unit diversity (or tactic diversity) between the factions since all new tech has been assimilated and there are no more humans to invent new tech. The factions only differ in commanders, looks, and their reasons for fighting.
  7. chronoblip

chronoblip Member

Each player will have an identical toolbox. Their skill will be determined in how they use that toolbox.
    BulletMagnet and LavaSnake like this.
  8. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

Very well said.
  9. chronoblip

chronoblip Member

Can't take much credit, folks have been saying stuff like that to the "I have a new idea" threads that are just "the same ideas you've already heard but described differently" for over a year.

To dredge up my own history and toot my own horn:
    Heck, BulletMagnet was even in that thread too! Talking about how the topic had already been talked about and so we didn't need to talk about it yet again.

The more things change...
    BulletMagnet and LavaSnake like this.