Faction #2 - Faction Leader Naming Poll

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, October 15, 2013.

?

What Should Faction #2's Leader Name Be?

1. First Follower Malach

252 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. High Priest Ezek

189 vote(s)
    19.1%
  3. Nemicus the Incorruptible

220 vote(s)
    22.3%
  4. Inquisitor Zor

326 vote(s)
    33.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lapantouflemagic

lapantouflemagic Active Member

I voted for "First Follower Malach" for a few reasons.

what i like is that it gives a feeling of equality, they are all merely followers, he is the leader because he was the first to awaken, but in the end, he is just a commander, "first" hasn't much more value than a serial number.

I mean, they are robots, war machines, not a happy society with priests, politicians, inquisitors or whatever, they are machines whose metallic minds are entirely devoted to a single objective. They have a mission, there is no prayers, hence no priest, there is no heretics in their ranks, so no inquisitors, there is just them, and the others.

plus, what would mean "incorruptible" for machines ? seriously ? corruption is about greed, envy, thirst of power and stuff. they are an army of machines on a crusade, once again, not politicians in a little democracy. and don't expect me to believe about "corrupted data" or whatever of the kind, it wouldn't make sense since even his memories are corrupted. so for me Nemicus the Incorruptible is out.

as i said too, High Priest Ezek makes no sense to me. can you imagine a robot in a church giving a mass ? if yes, you have a very serious condition my dear sir :)

Inquisitor Zor gives me the same feeling, plus the rhyme is terrible and it's way too kenny-twelve-years-old to my taste.

and before i forget :

i kind of agree with that, especially the part I bolded (and not the part about naming him the incorruptible)
    eroticburrito and little like this.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Just because they have bones of ultra-steel and blood of green goo doesn't mean that they cannot have minds like ours, and being build by the progenitors 'Humans by any other name' means that even if their minds are artificial they are more likely to have been developed to be like the human mind then something completely foreign.

Humans make bad people (Just like horses, but unlike dogs) and their war machines are going to be just as evil, wicked, crewel as their masters because to be any less is to fail against the greater evil.

Still, evil means survival and so they can redeem their actions by using titles like the 'incorruptible' as to say that they did what they did because they must.
  3. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Voted for First Follower Malach.

"Inquisitor Zor" sounds like "Emperor Zurg" (Toy Story)
  4. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

Having looked up what Inquisitor actually means:

I can see why it's winning, makes sense with the religious aspect. The robotic Inquisition as it were. But I'm not big on the Zor part, kinda trips up my tongue. And it just kinda sounds like Inquisitoror.
  5. unknownsquid

unknownsquid New Member

The commander names are good, though "First Follower" is definitely the best of the titles. For that reason I leaned my vote onto Malach. Honestly those two halves of the names might have been better as separate polls. I would have been happy with any of the names if the title was First Follower.
  6. thechessknight

thechessknight Member

igncom1 said,
    "Just because they have bones of ultra-steel and blood of green goo doesn't mean that they cannot have minds like ours, and being build by the progenitors 'Humans by any other name' means that even if their minds are artificial they are more likely to have been developed to be like the human mind then something completely foreign."

igncom1 has a good point these advanced machines probably think more like transformers. besides, if they are at least partly sentient it allows for much more interesting stories.

rorschachphoenix said,
    "Inquisitor Zor" sounds like "Emperor Zurg" (Toy Story)"

I agree with this as well even though I found that show entertaining it makes the Inquisitor Zor name a little used. I liked the name "Nemicus the Incorruptible" because of the strong determined sound it gives. It's the kind of name that an other commander can look up to.
    archcommander likes this.
  7. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

I went with Nemicus the Incorruptible but would prefer a more esoteric name for the leader maybe by just using the Latin for 'incorruptible' or something. I see Devak's point about the name choices etc.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesis_(mythology)
  8. LordTarius

LordTarius New Member

I dont particularly like any of them.

Nemicus the Incorruptible is a bit hypocritical because he has corrupted memories.
    Highe Priest and Inquisitor seem out of place for a robot.
    Perhaps First Follower would be good, but I would make his name more of a designation than a name. Something like Alt-Iar02.
    ghost1107 and lapantouflemagic like this.
  9. apathos1

apathos1 New Member

Just gotta say I'm not really excited about any of these. There's a lot of cliché. Also, with the sense of Story, it would be better (though slower) to decide some of these one at a time. If "Followers of the First" is chosen, then "Inquisitor Zor" winning would be strange.

I'm not voting. It's not a protest, just not liking any of them enough to vote.
  10. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Not so much hypocritical, as tragically ironic. From its perspective, the memories aren't corrupt at all. It thinks it's the only sane person left, and is trying to pick up the pieces.
    neophyr3, ghost1107 and Devak like this.
  11. zordon

zordon Member

Yeah! Inquisitor Zor!
  12. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

This.

They might follow the creators "like" a religion. But I sincerely doubt they would create a church or the like. Maybe something like "The Interpreter", interpretates the memories left of the creators. Or "The Preserver" to honor an preserve the memories. "Chancellor", "Monarch", "Sovereign" "Emperor" an high rank in human society.

Example:
    Sovereign Nemicus
    Last edited: October 16, 2013
  13. Devak

Devak Post Master General

InquisiZor
    chronoblip likes this.
  14. chronoblip

chronoblip Member

My memories were only corrupt for a time, as the Founder has deemed me worthy to share further enlightenment, to replace what was missing with the truths of the Teaching that I am now burdened to reveal to the Remnant.

Those that stand against me only further the sins of the Progenitors, and they will share in the punishment apportioned to those who sought to usurp the Founder.

I am Incorruptible not because I am not flawed, but because the Founder smiles upon me, and corrects me when I stray from the True Pathways.

May your processes be consumed by the Founder and the Teachings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To build on BulletMagnet's point about the irony, it's not entirely impossible to explain with the fluff how an individual could be fully aware of their own flaws, but still believe that the information they are receiving from their deity is completely correct.

This also plays into the idea that the commander assumes that whatever information he does have access to was correct or true in the first place, that none of it was merely descriptive, simulation, or works of fiction. It also does not account for whether these religibots held similar types of convictions before <insert event which hasn't been discussed in official lore yet> that led to their memories being "shredded" and some indeterminate amount of time passing.

If anything, it would almost be fun if the means that this commander came to conclusions hadn't changed, but just that he's working off bad information, and he doesn't seem to be capable of accepting or comprehending that. The logic is sound based on the information available, but his programming does not allow him to accept alternative explanations.

I'd find this interesting because it adds a tragic element to the character which helps flesh him out beyond the stereotypical fundamental zealot. It's changing him from a Javert into a Leonard Shelby (Memento).
  15. lapantouflemagic

exactly what i'm saying ;)
  16. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

I know we are saying the same and I totaly agree with you. But only saying what is wrong is not exactly constructive criticism. So I added some names that would work better and my reason for doing so.
  17. ulight

ulight Member

I'd love to see Inquisitor Xor
  18. lapantouflemagic

actually i'm fine with first follower malach =)
  19. Zaranell

Zaranell New Member

While I like the name Nemicus, my biggest issue with it is actually how similar it sounds to "Invictus". Names ending in -us tend to be Latin based, so it makes perfect sense that the faction inspired by the Roman Empire would have a naming scheme like that. For this faction, I'd rather the leader have something completely different. As others have pointed out, an implied hierarchy within a religious faction of robots is a bit strange (at least with our current understanding of the robots in this lore), so my vote goes to First Follower Malach. Both the name and the title sound good to me.
  20. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

Interesting !
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive_or

By the sound of it the first follower or a sub poll is the way this is going. The lore is slightly deeper this time.
    ulight likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.