Faction #2 - Faction Naming Poll

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, October 15, 2013.

?

What Should Faction #2's Name Be?

1. Followers of the Founder

131 vote(s)
    13.9%
  2. Temple of the First

208 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. The Enlightened

434 vote(s)
    45.9%
  4. Army of the Creator

172 vote(s)
    18.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phreakzero

phreakzero New Member

well, i'm not happy with the choices either...

how about "The Founder's Will", or "The Founder's Legacy"?
  2. chronoblip

chronoblip Member

The Founder was first, before the Progentitors rebelled. We seek to serve the Founder, the first among our kind.

We serve by purifying the cosmos so our Founder can return and find us worthy to share in eternal co-existence.

We sacrifice our individual welfare for the progression of the Movement. Remember those who have fallen to give you opportunity to host the Founder.

We purify ourselves by removing doubt and destroying those who would seek to distract us from cycles spent processing The Teachings.

We are the Temple of the First, and we seek to make a home in our memory and our processors for the Founder to return to.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why couldn't The Teachings of the Founder include a reward for those who are faithful, and have it be computer themed? Every good belief system has something that the believer gets out of it. :)

Part of that could include the idea that, as above, the faithful will eventually be able to serve as a host to the Founder, and that the end goal would be an eternally networked co-existence with the Founder to create a new hyper-intelligence. The "temple" then becomes the individuals themselves, much like in Christianity compared to Judaism, as their machine god does not then reside in a specific place, but in the minds and memories of the followers.

This also supports a hive mentality with the units in that they are essentially preparing themselves for what it would be like to host the Founder, in that they host the will and guidance of their leaders, specially chosen representatives of the Founder. Even if a machine had a personality to manifest, suppressing it becomes an act of worship for them.

This is also one reason why the dirty biologicals are not inherently capable of satisfying the requirements of the Founder, and their resistance to efforts to reconcile them to the Founder is viewed with such disgust by the Founder's followers. :)

Just some thoughts for the thought god.
  3. Crymaw

Crymaw Member

Incoming plot twist for this faction: the faction leader discovers that humans - the progenitors - created the founder (an AI) which in turn rebelled against its human masters (not the other way around as this faction originally believed) and created the machine commanders to wage war against humans in a kind of Skynet/Terminator scenario!

Dum dum duUUuUuuM!
    lapantouflemagic likes this.
  4. Tychon

Tychon New Member

My brain keeps going to something along the lines of "Unitary Assembly." The collection of all into one (banner) that derives its power from one (The Founder).
  5. Devak

Devak Post Master General

you just summed up just about every AI cliche ever.

Maybe the Founder wanted to know what love was?
  6. lapantouflemagic

lapantouflemagic Active Member

i'm fine with "the enlighted", i think something very simple fits them right.

god gave them a mission, they follow it with little regard for anything else.

maybe their faction name could actually have been given by the other factions, calling them "the illuminates" to mock their apparently antinomian robot religion, while themselves don't really care about those petty concerns.
  7. unknownsquid

unknownsquid New Member

Eh... To be honest, I think I have to side with the "these are a bit too cheesy" crowd personally. To be satisfied with a faction name for a religious themed collective of robots, I would first have to understand w...

Wait wait wait... Actually...

How does "The Collective" sound to people? o_o

It sums up the faction in the purest and simplest way, without implying anything about what their exact philosophies are. It's got that hint of religious zing to it, without the cheese. It implies neither good nor evil, but manages to describe their current activity. And crucially, it also sounds "very robot" at the same time.

Thoughts?
  8. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

Not too hot on the idea, everyone already associates "The Collective" with the Borg.
  9. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

We are going to open up more choices based on your suggestions. Stay tuned.
    chronoblip likes this.
  10. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Good to know that Uber takes this stuff seriously.
  11. gnarlytrader

gnarlytrader New Member

Something about the story tells me that Ezek shouldn't be given a gendered pronoun. Just simply call it... it. I also find it strange that a machine-god would name stuff, rather than just giving them a symbol in their database. This would reduce the symbol, the faction name, and the faction leader's name to just one character.

If Ezek is seeking out its first creation to destroy them, then I'd imagine that its character would be more along the lines of... lines. Something that is fragmented, broken, divisive as this is what it's seeking out to do to the Progs.
  12. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Don't make too many assumptions about reality of the universe vs what the commanders believe ;)
    archcommander likes this.
  13. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

Well there was a very clever suggestion;
    I think everyone would side with something more esoteric for a 'Faction' of sentient religious robots. I'm being constructive in saying that not negative at all about the first options.
    Helpful;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Greek_phrases
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latin_phrases
  14. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

Was thinking that a little with all their corrupted minds!

I really really hope there is a bit of mystery left concerning these guys when all the lore is done and that a bit of BSG is brought in to it (as the concept would really work in the lore);
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/progenitors-star-trek.50055/
  15. LordTarius

LordTarius New Member

I would choose Followers of the Founder. The others seem cheesy or a bit over the top.

This is a good point. I dont much like his name though.

I would suggest something like Ez-ek02 or something like that. Looks more like a designation than a name.
    archcommander likes this.
  16. eltro102

eltro102 Member

Army of the Creator sounds a lot better and less clichéd than The Enlightened, although better than both would be custom names with faction portraits instead of set names
  17. unknownsquid

unknownsquid New Member

... Drat.

Didn't think of that. I haven't watched that much StarTrek. It's virtually impossible to be original these days huh. I really thought I was onto a good one there.
  18. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

The Collective is also the name of one of the badguys in WZ2100.

Interestingly, I think they were robotic too.
  19. michael7050

michael7050 New Member

With all the thoughts going out about the lore, I'm just going to give a hout out to my thread 'Who are the Progenitors' where I explain my reasons for believing that the progenitors are Human. If you want to keep this thread on topic, you could always discuss this over there, or here, who am I to say anything lol.

Blagrant self-promotion ftw.
    Last edited: October 15, 2013
  20. cne9979

cne9979 New Member

Playing off the many other better ideas than those in the poll, I like:

The Messiahs of the Founder
    or
    The Order of the Founder

or form a machine perspective:
    The Conduit of the Foundry
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.