Faction #2 - Symbol Thread

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, October 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Hey, guys! We'd like you to help us name our second faction. If you haven't seen the news yet check out this post:

Yep! We're doing it again. This is the thread for the symbol of this faction. We've got a couple of ideas, but we'd like to hear what you think should represent these guys. Just sound off below. Like last time, this is all about you guys, the community, leaving a footprint in the game. Thanks for all the support!

The faction leader naming thread is here. The faction naming thread is here. This thread closes on October 18, 2013.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  2. narbot

narbot New Member

Somthing I made some when I got inspired by the other symbol. ^ ^

NarWheel (1).png
    Last edited: October 16, 2013
    archcommander and pizwitch like this.
  3. Binkenstein

Binkenstein New Member

I think it depends on the name chosen.

The Enlightened suggest a star/sun type motif.
    Temple of the First would be more along a stylised Parthenon type image
    Followers of the Founder would be more of a mechanical Shepard's Crook
    All I can think of for Army of the Creator is an upraised fist similar to those used for the Red Faction game series.
    elipadden likes this.
  4. InstantMix

InstantMix Member

judging by the actual lore of the faciton, there should be strong ties to reconstruction, repair, rebuilding, as well as some religious-like symbols and "temple" ideas - alike scrolls, robes, seals and whatnot.
    Gears, wrenches, nanolathes, scaffolds. Something like that.
    pizwitch, mrpete and rdlc1983 like this.
  5. narbot

narbot New Member

Can we put more than one symbol in?
    Just finished another design.
    NarWheel2.png
    Last edited: October 16, 2013
    LavaSnake and qwerty2912 like this.
  6. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Symbols needs to be a giant iron boot squishing the Progenitors.
  7. Consili

Consili Member

I am no good at graphic design, but I was thinking something along the lines of the infinity symbol with a stylised clockwork eye looking over it to symbolise the machine god watching over the universe.

Alternatively it could just be the stylised clockwork eye.
    walker712, vymun and elipadden like this.
  8. william28

william28 New Member

How about a twist on the old ARM symbol from the original game TA
  9. ascythian

ascythian Member

Downward pointing sword [make it a cyber sword] with lightning motif?
  10. friendly0fire

friendly0fire New Member

Fully agreed. Unlike the previous faction, this faction's structure hinges in which name ends up being picked. We know very little of their structure and modus operandi beyond them being religious.

I have to say I particularly like the idea of a shepard's crook though.
  11. lapantouflemagic

lapantouflemagic Active Member

i'm all in favor of "the illuminates", so i agree that something evocating a star would be great, mayeb a lage star shining above small ones, but it's hard to put some mechanical flavor in it.

well maybe it doesn't need to have it, after all, god-worshiping machines are getting a bit far from their mechanical nature.

or maybe something evocating a mechanical angel descending from heaven, as they probably believe themselves to be some kind of divine messengers or whatever.

would some talented artist give it a try ? (i'm as good as an armless 5-years old when it comes to drawing, and i'm lazy :) )
  12. Aichon

Aichon New Member

A faction of followers who have received a message from an omnipotent machine god? Why not go literal with the symbol (like we'd expect a computer to do) and have a machine in the sky that's making itself visible to hand down a message?

Seems like something along the lines of a floating cog/gear with sunbursts would be a good starting place (it'd be easy to make it look incredibly corny, but I'd imagine it could be done well). While the sunbursts would definitely apply better if the faction were named The Enlightened, I should think that the general idea about an omnipotent machine god would be conveyed regardless.

An alternative idea might involve a giant cog shining its rays down on a group of smaller cogs.
  13. wolfman1911

wolfman1911 New Member

Well, they sound a lot like space muslims, so that would be appropriate.
  14. redshirtx

redshirtx New Member

Going off from that...how about a downward-pointing sword overlaid on or bisecting a cog?
  15. zordian

zordian New Member

Can’t draw so I will try to describe it.

Since I chose the faction name the followers i wanted the symbol to convey that.
    I want to give the impression of an strength and a slight sense of an endless line
    with robots walking ever on towards their goal/direction/god.

I am picturing a round disc white with black shapes/silhouettes of three robots.

They are seen as to be going into the disc from left to right (with the backs to the viewer)
    from the left hand lower part of the circle to the upper right part of the circle.

They have different sizes the one most to the left is the closest and the largest,
    next one slightly smaller and the rightmost one the smallest and furthest away.

I looked around for something to show my idea and found some pictures that convey part of it at least.
    This one for the general idea but they must of course be facing away and seem to be moving not standing like they do now.
    noir_index.jpg

The next one show more of the scale of the terrain and more colour.
    silhouettes (10).jpg

And the last one is to show the scale of going left to right form below. It’s the fifth one from the top.
    8976253-crowd-silhouettes.jpg

I wanted to post links and pictures but I could only post 0 links
    Why is that? I want to so my appreciation for those having don the pictures so thos that wanted could check out the sites. I´ve been on the forums for months and am still treated as a new member you’re not making this Übereasy at all. So now the pics got to large instead of nicely scaled when the where just pictures with url links. Hopefully thumbnails will work since full image was all over the place.

Thanks for making an awesome game!
  16. dietshnurd

dietshnurd New Member

Maybe it should be a Shiva-like robot with multiple arms and laser cannons.

Or like an eye of Osiris but an optical lens instead of an eyeball.
  17. magusk

magusk New Member

How about a black image of an anvil. On the anvil, a hammer resting head first, handle straight up; a la Thor. The motto could be written above the symbol. I'm thinking something like, Forged for higher purpose
  18. jarosage

jarosage New Member

I was thinking something depicting the Founder as a large stylized robot/commander with arms outstretched, and something underneath him. Maybe smaller robots marching or something like that
  19. Paradine107

Paradine107 New Member

I feel like the image of a massive mechanical or perhaps steampunk hand closing around a galaxy might well represent this faction. Unfortunately I lack the skill to create anything even mildly impressive, but I imagine an actual artist's depiction of this or some approximate would fit well with the theme mentioned in its lore.
  20. general225

general225 New Member

How about a stylized metallic war hammer, crossed over this sword of yours over a shield with a
    EDIT: Like depicted in the picture, but the hammer and sword and in front of a shield with the symbol on it.

Attached Files:

LavaSnake likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.