i7-4770 + gtx570 still lag like hell (FPS is highly unstable and jumps between 15 and 60)

Discussion in 'Support!' started by larse, October 14, 2013.

1. larse

larse New Member

Even after the last few patches that supposedly improve performance, the performance is still the same.

All settings are medium.

It still lags like hell (15 FPS)

The FPS is extremely unstable. It jumps from 15 to 60 and back, even in the beginning of a game. By beginning, I mean that I only have a commander and nothing else.

I have the newest driver.

It's unplayable.

I haven't even been able to play the game since I bought it on the first day of early access.

Hope someone can help.
  2. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Last edited: October 14, 2013
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Non-acceptable.
    do you have a Titan? no.

then play on all low and shadows off until optimized.

i have the same card as you that's the way I play, and I have amazing responsiveness.

you might also want to check this out : https://forums.uberent.com/threads/bad-fps.52783/#post-804822
    do
    the optimisation he suggests on the steam forum

and most of all check your internet. this game is bandwidth demanding, you couldn't play it on wifi, I know that isn't in relation with fps, but it would affect the responsiveness and the terrain loading.
  4. larse

larse New Member

I uploaded the file. Please help.

Attached Files:

5. larsethearse

larsethearse Member

6. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Last edited: October 15, 2013
  7. vorell255

vorell255 Active Member

you need a 770.
  8. rick104547

rick104547 Member

I got a hd7970 and it still lags no matter what graphic setting i choose. Only played a few games because the lag makes it unplayable. The ui is always lagging behind by like half a second which is ridiculous. It also eats cpu like crazy.

Really hope uber would fix the ui lag and reduce the amount of cpu it uses dramatically so this game is finally playable for me and many others. The main menu using up to 25% of my cpu is ridiculous and i NEVER seen that happen in other games. Uber should shift priority from adding new stuff to fixing the ui since the ui is present in every aspect of the game.

Btw on the same system i run games like just fine:
    Rome 2 total war
    Shogun 2 total war
    Civilization 5
    Supcom 1
    Supcom 2
    Zero k
    Crysis 1
    Crysis 2
    Crysis 3
    Battlefield 2
    Battlefield 3
    Minecraft
    Simcity
    Anno2070
    Sins of a solar empire
    etc.

Even crysis 3 is playable on the highest settings (~30 fps stable). In other rts i get good stable fps even lategame. Its not my pc thats too slow for this game its the game that really needs some optimalisations so the rest of the ppl who dont have a overclocked i7 4960X can also play.
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Actually those lags are not really depends on hardware you have and on APU it's works just fine.
  10. rick104547

rick104547 Member

I know thats why its time uber started fixing that so the rest of us can play too. Unplayable laggyness is just as bad as crashing.
  11. commodorenarwhal

commodorenarwhal Member

This caught my eye because I am on a Gigabyte gtx570 (rev2 I think) and a distinctly mid-end processor (i5 35xx) - and I run on medium high with little if any lag. Will post detailed PC spec when I get home :)
  12. commodorenarwhal

commodorenarwhal Member

Redacted - posted in error :)
  13. rick104547

rick104547 Member

Idk what i5 35xx you have but if its a i5 3570k then its certainly not a mid end cpu. It would perform almost as good as a i7 3770k and in some cases even better (some stuff doesnt like hyperthreading). They are like really close together in terms of performance the only notable difference is the hyperthreading which only really shines in heavily multithreaded applications like rendering.

Iam well aware of the fact that its not my i5 760 that is too weak for this game but its the game thats not optimized at all. Especially the ui need optimalization.
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Everybody else can easily check where their bottleneck is. Just run game with FPS counter (Ctrl+P) and then toggle UI using Ctrl+U.
    Neutrino already said there is big overhead on bitmaps copying, so I totally sure Uber will fix the problem if this was easy.

But this problem is not affect everyone, only part of people.
  15. nobrains

nobrains Member

16. rick104547

rick104547 Member

Ctrl-u does nothing for me. Cpu usage stays at 25%. Doesnt matter if its in the main menu or ingame. So i guess the ui still runs in the background somewhere. Getting 11 fps at most which is just too low for me on a system like this and i just cant play at such low fps. I really expected more by now i have been waiting since the alpha for an atleast playable game.

So from what i see:
    A: Stuff like the mainmenu is using ridiculous amounts of resources. 25% cpu usage from just a mainmenu i mean cmon??? I never seen that in any game, alpha or beta before.

B: The game isnt using all resources. Cpu only at 25% and gpu at only 20% so most of the processing power is completely unused. Most ppl nowadays have multicore cpu's those who dont probably cant play the game anyway so add multithread support and make it using atleast more than just 25% of my cpu.

C: Everything has lag which makes the game feel even more choppy and slow. This is on top of the low fps.

To be clear my system runs every other game perfectly even recent ones like Rome 2 total war (+40 fps) or crysis 3 (~30 fps), planetside 2 (solid 60 fps unless in extreme zergs), guildwars 2 (50-60 fps). Heck even star citizen which is in pre pre pre pre alpha runs way better than this game.
  17. commodorenarwhal

commodorenarwhal Member

Full spec: Intel Core i5-3450 @3.10 (oc to 3.80ghz)
    16GB (4x8gb) 1600MHz memory
    Gigabyte GTX 570 (1280mb GDDR5 memory)

Tends to run at 60fps+ on medium games, have yet to play a game with more than 4 players or on a planet larger than 1200 so hard to say how it would do there.

Please don't interpret this as gloating, I find the difference in performance interesting, and hope that this information might lead to some sort of fix.

I updated my Nvidia drivers for BF4 beta very recently.
  18. occusoj

occusoj Active Member

Regarding performance:
    When loading a game, that animated rotating "thingy" constantly uses about 50% of one 5970 GPU. ;).

And its very interesting to see how performance varies. Friend of mine got a rig with 2600k at 4,8 or 4,9 and substantially OCed 7970. Usually no more than 45fps for him in everyday gameplay. All drivers current, all settings low.

I currently have an i7 920 running either stock or clocked to around 4GHz plus 5970. Its VRAM limit is quite obvious , PA rarely reaches 40fps, most times its around 20. Next upgrade for me is in early 2014, 4960x plus whatever will then be a good step above the Titan.

Everything mentioned in here is watercooled, except my GPU.
  19. svovlmunk

svovlmunk Member

I also have a 570gtx and had FPS issues. Disabling shadows fixed it completely. I think the shadows on all the trees on forest-heavy planets takes a heavy load.
  20. rick104547

rick104547 Member

I dont see any difference in fps on lowest or highest settings