WPMarshall's 1v1 'Into The Beta' Tournament

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by wpmarshall, October 2, 2013.

1. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

@clopse, my internet was playing up coupled with PA crashing so I didnt get a chance to look I'm afraid.
    @gunshin I'm left upset that you did not recognise the quote...Though left giggling frantically that you should suggest playing with feet #bestnewrule2013
  2. fergie

fergie Member

What is the rule about playing the 2nd match? whenever my opponent and I can find a good time by the end of next weekend...or do we need to wait till all 1st round matches are completed?

Thanks,

Also, who should I talk to about a FFA Point Tourney idea I had :)
  3. hyperspace51

hyperspace51 New Member

Hey guys! Cocktopus here. You can call me Hyperspace51 or Hyper for short if you want, but I need to know when skankykush wants to battle me. I can play today, tomorrow, or sunday. Tonight, I have to drive my parents at 6 and at 9 so yah. Please PM me or Steam chat me. My name is Cocktopus on steam. Thanks!
  4. fergie

fergie Member

its best to PM them using the forums, i also meet up with my opponet on the PA IRC Chatroom at irc.esper.net #planetaryannihilation. there are also a ton of other players that chill there (never seen less than 45 people logged in at once) that all are trying to improve their game, or are already one of the top PA players.

No matter what happens with your match, come chill with us and join the ladder.

Hope to see you there
  5. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

seriously there needs to be better organisation of those tournaments.

- people may not be "on their own" to organise their games. This will take weeks to finish a tournament.
    - there must be a fixed date and a fixed time frame, even now, when the game still is in beta
    - someone must organise and check who is there and who is not there on time and kick out those who didnt show up, then the brackets should be created, not the other way round
    - tournament must be finished within 3-4 hours, or split to several 2 -3 hours sessions

this will probably get much easier with proper ingame support like friendslist, maybe chat rooms without IRC and other functionality but right now tournaments, that go over weeks and you have to get arranged with everyone all the time is not working imo.

I recall the tournaments in GPGnet as one good example:
    - everyone could sign up
    - Tournament director could start tournament and get everyone automatically in one chat room
    - he kicked those who werent there
    - he created the matches and directed through the whole tournament, which lasted regularly about 2 to 3 hours
    voodoomaster and Clopse like this.
  6. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I agree. People just take the liberty of olaying exactly when they want when no time frame. 2v2 tournament is a perfect example. Still nowhere near completed a week down the line. It's a little off putting for me.
  7. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

Its good to have deadlines, but I don't like the idea of having to play the game in such a short time period. It excludes a lot of players and (from my experience of other tournaments) puts a lot of strain on the website of the tournament host. If any problem occurs with either the game or the website then the whole tournament turns into a mess.

Completing a tournament over a weekend can be done, but I don't think it should be the default style of tournament. For me the minimum deadline I would suggest is to play the game within 48 hours. I would also outline what happens when the deadline is missed.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I think the whole idea of this tournament is to run over several days or even weeks. It is just impossible to throw 50 people from all over the world into a bracket and hope they will be able to play it out withing a few hours?
    Since the current tournamens have no cash on them I doubt a deadline is very important anyway.
    fergie and Murcanic like this.
  9. kryovow

at least a deadline for each round would be usefull, maybe 2-3 days per round.
  10. wpmarshall

I have already alluded to a deadline of 2 days ideally. But don't forget it is a casual tournament so as Colin said, it doesn't REALLY matter, but for those who are keen on getting their matches done, you can always chase up your opponent yourselves.
    Furthermore, the website for the tournaments itself is still in its infancy. Oxide and myself have had a few conversations and have tossed ideas about on how to best to possibly automate the system but at the moment it is still in experimental stages. It would be great if Uber might take a look at the website and consider integrating it with the game and then maybe it can really get going as an on-going tournament system.
    A final note on the time period; it is an 'ideal' timeframe merely there to motivate the progress of matches. If players are unavailable unavoidable reasons then I don't see why, at this stage, games can be delayed for a little longer.
  11. wpmarshall

One other note to those playing games, when you have finished your game, you can either use the website yourself (if you're logged in [I think, but you may need to talk to oxide about that]) or you can contact myself to edit the tournament board so the respective winners of the games can progress up the ladder.
  12. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

Is there any other way to contact your opponent then via the forum Pm system? as i'm getting no reply... also what happens if I never get a reply?
  13. wpmarshall

I you don't get a reply by the end of sunday, let me know and I'll pop you up considering it appears you have been ready to play etc. Try their forum, IRC, etc first though.
  14. fergie

fergie Member

You really cant have the deadline of, all rounds played within these 3 hours till the community gets bigger...right now its hard enough to get 50+ players to sign up for a tourney, let alone have them all in the same game playing time zone.

One day I could see it like that....a tourney set to start at 8PM PST and run till 11PM PST for 3 Saturdays in a row or something.
  15. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Still no reply from my opponent and I've been trying all evening, but he did message me earlier so maybe just in a different timezone and asleep or something...
  16. r314yer

r314yer New Member

Gorerillaz and I will be playing this evening. You'll be PMed the result!
  17. kryovow

maybe a comment function can be added to the match-page on pa-tournaments.com this would be a cool way to directly communicate via the page and can be proof at the same time, if someone doesnt react on it.
  18. lapsedpacifist

'Fraid my opponent and I are exactly 12 hours apart so I just woke up and he's going to bed.
    Dunno how we're going to sort out a game as I can't really play in the mornings. If we
    Can't work something out I'll let you know.
    In future it might be a good idea to try and match nationalities together to avoid this kind of problem (unless you already do and I was just unlucky).
  19. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

They tried to do that in the king of the alpha tournament. It worked well, but one of the problems was that there were more Europeans and you had brackets with a load of good players and brackets with no known players. You had more competitive matches in the European brackets then in the quarter-finals.

It would be better for the website to ask what time your available and work from that.
    oxide246 likes this.
  20. lapsedpacifist

All is well, we're playing this evening so should have the result to you in 6 hours or so.