FFA Red Vs Blue Idea

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by fergie, October 11, 2013.

?

Would you play RvB FFA

Poll closed October 25, 2013.
  1. No, I like FFA as it is

28.6%
  2. Yes, all others as Red would be a nice change up

33.3%
  3. Maybe, Have it as an option for players but I would not play it much myself

38.1%
  1. fergie

fergie Member

Could get a better name but I couldn't think of one.

The idea is to have an option for FFA matches that the player always see himself as Blue, and all others as Red. This makes it impossible to tell who is who, and even really hard to tell what base is different from each other or proxy bases. This adds in a lot of changes to the Meta of FFA matches.

Attacking from another angle can really disrupt people from retaliating you, or even draw them into some other players proxy base.

Targeting or double teaming up on someone based on name is very unlikely to happen.

The fear of seeing two massive red blobs about to smash your base only to find they are also shooting each-other :)

I think it would add a whole new element to FFA, and if there was to be a FFA ranked ladder (something I would like to play) it would be a more balanced and tactical FFA match.

Saved Replays should show each player as a different color though. This would be better for uploading videos and going over your play and seeing what each other player did and how they lost/won because of it. And that "Oh ****" moment when you swore that attack on you was from "So and So" and you ended up counter attacking this guy etc, IE: some funny moments and realizations

I am sure this could be a mod, but I also dont think it would take to much effort to code it into vanilla, the most hard part could be having the playback on replay show each team as a new color, and honestly, that's not a must have to really get the feel for this feature, just something extra.

What do you think?
    Tankh and brianpurkiss like this.
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Interesting idea. I'd definitely give it a try. However, it's probably best suited to the realms of modding.
  3. godde

godde Well-Known Member

What about chat? People are likely to go I'm here and I won't attack you so don't attack me.
    Then they attack and say "No, I'm not attacking you" while attacking that person.
    Different commander are a bit of an issue as once someone is identified as a certain commander you know who they are.
    Sounds fun though.
  4. fergie

fergie Member

That is what I love about it, it just adds a lot more Meta to the game, FFA already has a lot of challenges like that. My friends and I have spent many hours in SupCom2 with 5 or 6 way FFA with everyone on Vent talking **** and having a good time, deals being made (though everyone can hear them) often followed by #(%&#(@ and %(#$(@%& as people are double crossed or removed.

Having everyone see each-other as just Red, would be fun :)
  5. gmakerpyro

gmakerpyro New Member

ctrl+f

Already in the game.
  6. mrfox12

mrfox12 New Member

i myself would probably play alot of this because it would stop alot of teaming up and make it hard for people to remember where exactly your base is. Very much interested in this
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

quote="gmakerpyro, post: 804388, member: 1954173"]ctrl+f

Already in the game.[/quote]

Dude. This functionality is not in PA.

OP.

Great idea.

It would totally change how FFAs work.

It would be a great game type.

+1
  8. Tankh

Tankh Member

I like this idea.
    Not sure if it actually works or not, but the idea here is that you are forced to use that option so you can't see the difference between enemies. Maybe two of them are allied? no idea.

This could be combined with an idea I heard someone suggest very early in PA development where you don't even know how many enemies there are!
    You could just click "Join Blind FFA" or something, and you just join a game with like 5 planets not knowing if you're facing 2 or 20 enemies, or even how many of them are on your planet. This also makes any decoy commander unit even more useful as you can pretend to be several players that are "allied" against one and force him to play unneccesarily defensive.

Of course this should not replace the normal FFA, but be an additional mode.
    fergie and zaphodx like this.
  9. fergie

fergie Member

That is a sweet idea too!