why can your teammate destruct your commander?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by punkroadkill, October 10, 2013.

1. punkroadkill

punkroadkill New Member

So I start a game just now, teams 2v2v2v2, but my hairy ballsack of a teammate decides he just wants to "watch" instead, so as soon as the game start he deletes both commanders.

any chance we can make it so you can only destroy your own commander?
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Because the whole point of that particular game type is 100% shared unit control. It's not the kind of thing you should be playing with randoms. There will be other game/alliance modes as well.

Mike
  3. punkroadkill

punkroadkill New Member

I get that of course, but why do you need to share a commander? surely the point of a commander is that its "your" point of control?
    LavaSnake likes this.
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Like I said, 100% unit control, long term I imagine you'll be able to set the number of commanders an "Army" spawns with, at least you could in the Pre-Alpha so I'm assuming it'll come back eventually.

Mike
  5. punkroadkill

punkroadkill New Member

for those that care, surely its pretty immersion breaking to have someone else control your commander, yes its handy when someone leaves mid game, but then theres no reason you couldn't take control your own when you're both there and both commanders when you're the only one there.
  6. punkroadkill

punkroadkill New Member

and like I said, I get that, what I'm asking is why is it 100% unit control and not 99.9% unit control?
    thetrophysystem and LavaSnake like this.
  7. rockemsockemrobot

rockemsockemrobot Member

I completely agree with you. I've had problems where at the beginning of the game, the other player takes my commander. Very annoying, screws me up for the rest of the game because you can't adjust the keystrokes.

I know it's MY commander because if you hit 'cc', it zooms to your commander. Commander shouldn't be shared by default. Maybe add an option to share him?

I've been in enough games where people complain about this that I submitted a ticket on this just yesterday:
    http://pa.lennardf1989.com/Tracker/...ned=rockemsockemrobot&order=history&sort=desc

You read my mind, I hope they do something about it. Go up vote the task.
    Last edited: October 10, 2013
    LavaSnake likes this.
  8. lapantouflemagic

lapantouflemagic Active Member

actually, i think it makes sense to share it, well maybe you can disable the self destruct command.

imagine your are doing something on an other planet or whatever, you don't look at your commander. then your teammate notice a sneaky move of your opponent and thinks he should evacuate your commander, he can just do it.

if he has to type you to run away, then hope you'll react fast enought, well, you might just get killed because you played with a douchebag a few games before.
  9. blizzox

blizzox New Member

Share commanders, but have each commander have an "owner" that is the only one that can do destructive **** to it, and make it so owners take precedence with moving the commander

still allows for abuse, but a lot of plain dickery is countered without losing the unit control
  10. Si1Foo

Si1Foo New Member

sharing ones commander is stupid and doesn't make much sense especially when there is no identifying marks or names separating each others commanders

there is a couple of ways to make this easier make the team colour be the primary one and make the secondary colour be unique to each commander and what they have built thus keeping the full share of everything but giving a visual que of what eachother is doing easily

you could also give the commanders names over there heads i find it really annnouying when we split the commanders and he takes mine and i take his and then he dies with mine

but i personaly think each commander should have its own controler ad only when a player is dced or left should the team get control of it if it is alive
  11. fergie

fergie Member

Why can you stop your teammate from destroying HIS commander? that is the real question

Always gonna be trolls in the game, take 2v2 as casual or premade teams and not just randoms....
  12. rockemsockemrobot

rockemsockemrobot Member

I think this can be resolved like in StarCraft, a unit share checkbox; instead of in this case a commander share button. By default, only you control your commander. If you trust your teammates, you can share him so he may evacuate your commander or whatnot.

Anyways, a commander share checkbox would enable everyone to be happy. Those who micro their commander can be certain noone else will. Those who want to share may do so as well.
  13. lapantouflemagic

the problem is that you start from the following situation : my teammate wants to screw my game.

sorry guys, but you can't do anything against him.

he can't ctrl+K your commander ? fine, he can do it with the rest of your units ?
    you forbid him to kill your units ? fine, he builds sh*tloads of fabbers and sells your stuff.

or he forces his units to attack your buildings, or he self destrucs his commander in the middle of your base, or whatever. you'll never be able to force him to play with you, forget it. just leave the game, blacklist Cpt. ballbreaker and live your life.
    cwarner7264 and fergie like this.
  14. fergie

fergie Member

Yup, Trolls will be trolls....damn in a 2v2 he could just do nothing at all and get you killed by being a 2v1 now heh
  15. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

This is why the mid game leave and return. Mainly for the galatic war I am assuming. If each person had a commander when you joined it would have to spawn a new one (Over power which ever side had more people drastically) and when you left he would be a sitting duck.
    You got stuck with a troll, It happeneds :(.
  16. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

In shared army mode, don't play with pubs.

Hopefully alliance mode will be in soon.
  17. rockemsockemrobot

rockemsockemrobot Member

... so true... Even a checkbox won't prevent a troll from ruining a game. Since you mention blacklist, maybe a system like what World Of Tanks has might help. A player complaint system, that could prioritize trolls so they play with other trolls. Didn't chat roulette do this with people who showed their penises? I think that ended that, maybe I'm wrong.
  18. lapantouflemagic

[off-topic]
    wait, you mean that wasn't meant for that ? :eek:
  19. fergie

fergie Member

in the livestream Brad was joking about just deleting all the commanders....then it was brought up "wait...is this the version you cant do that anymore?"

so looks like they may remove this option.... I dont understand if that means you cant destroy your commander at all.... or just not in team matches. or what

either way, i dont like it...as right now the only way we can have a match between 2 or more people with live streams with casters that can view the entire field is by having one team destroy commanders and then stream the match while having full view of the map

right now PA-matches has one match uploaded every day, and it would be a real shame to lose this, not only as someone that enjoys watching them...but for Uber, who is getting a ton of free PR on youtube and twitch.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  20. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

Upvoted the ticket. Thanks for posting it.