Planet smashing / minimum distance?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by bountyhunta, October 10, 2013.

1. bountyhunta

bountyhunta New Member

Hi
    Yesterday I discovered a bug ? maybe?
    I played on a system map with 2 planets where each has moon.
    But the orbit of the moons are so small that the camera is inside the moon when you zoom out while the planet is centered.
    I build Halleys on both moons, pressed engage but they didn't exit the orbit...
    Is there a minimum distance a movable planet should have to a planet?
    maybe the gravity of the planet is to big for halleys? is this simulated in the game?

BountyHuntA
  2. urablahblah

urablahblah Member

Sometimes it can take a few moments for the moon to be in the correct position in its orbit to exit and start rocketing around. Have you waited a little while?
  3. bountyhunta

bountyhunta New Member

i have waited roughly an hour for the first moon and 10 or 15 minutes for the second moon ...
  4. corteks

corteks Active Member

Might be glitching out cause your moons are too close then? What happens when their orbits are a bit further out so your camera isn't clipping through them?
  5. bountyhunta

bountyhunta New Member

no idea.
    i have to rebuild the system. it wasnt my system...
    but i think planet smashing is buggy in some situations
  6. corteks

corteks Active Member

So I figured I'd see if I could reproduce this. Created a system with 2 planets, one with a moon that was very closely orbiting the planet (such that it would clip through the when camera zoomed out)...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got up to orbital and tried to take an advanced fabber across to the moon. Since the moon was in such a close orbit the lander didn't seem to ever be able to build up enough speed to jump over to the moon's orbit, even when it was dropping down and pretty much scraping the planet's surface :p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately I wasn't able to try launching the moon with Halleys, but it looks like in some cases at the moment things can't break free from their orbits. It does make sense in a way because the engine is supposed to simulate physics when things are being moved around the system map. As such it seems likely if something is ridiculously close it may not be able to break free, especially if the orbit it's on is a bit impossible anyway.

I think it might be a bit of a compromise between generating physics for celestial bodies moving and using simple orbits when they are supposed to stay on their set trajectory that can lead to this situation. I mean in Alpha I can remember having a switch in the system editor that controlled the simulation. One mode was simple, set orbits. The other mode allowed you to set the starting orbits, but use a physics simulation to control the movement after you hit simulate. I found it was pretty easy to create systems that in the physics simulation mode would rather quickly decohese and start doing weird stuff, like planets catching each other's gravity and starting to orbit each other while wobbling away from the sun's gravity. Cause of this we end up with this sort of compromise so systems don't fly apart unless they're carefully crafted. Seems to me if something is only staying in orbit thanks to the simple orbit mode it's in, when it goes to actually simulating physics it may just be impossible for it to reach an escape velocity.

Hope that makes some sense. Didn't make out to write a big post :p