anyone else hate when they start on scale 2 maps?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by mrmaximo, October 10, 2013.

1. mrmaximo

mrmaximo Member

Seriously they are way too ******* close for comfort.
  2. nobrains

nobrains Member

3. Z3K0N15

Z3K0N15 Active Member

nope :/
  4. kmike13

kmike13 Member

love it when it happens
    whisperr likes this.
  5. rec0n412

rec0n412 Member

It's a mixed bag.
  6. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Fight! Fight! Fight!

At least scale 2 planets aren't dull. Scale 5, you can probably tech to orbital by the time someone's T1 bots reach your base.
  7. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

Can be intense. MAD
  8. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

Forget scale 2 maps, I'm annoyed that moons don't spawn on default systems. Players using the system editor fixes it nicely but, really, it should be default to have at least 2 planets and a moon.
  9. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

You can make the map to your liking in the system editor. So by the time you wrote this thread, you could have made the perfect map for your play style.
    fergie likes this.
  10. GalacticCow

GalacticCow Active Member

Disagree. With the current state of orbital and interplanetary the balance is very broken and whoever gets the asteroid/moon either wins or forces a stalemate. Currently IMO it should default to one planet from scale 2-4, no other planets/moons/asteroids.
    lauri0 likes this.
  11. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Actually Scale 2 and 3 are pretty nice. Scale 1 is too small and scale 4 is often too big.
    fergie and Murcanic like this.
  12. hanspeterschnitzel

hanspeterschnitzel Active Member

I agree with MushrooMars. I like starting on a scale 2 planet and have a bigger planet on the other side of the sun.
  13. Schulti

Schulti Active Member

Yes!

All people who said that the maps are too small should play serval games on scale 4 or 5 planets - this will give them a feeling for great enough maps.
    Personaly im very fine when a game takes between 30 min and 1 hour.

@topic: Why do stay in lobbys with a scale 2 startingplanet ? You can see this before the game starts.
  14. tripper

tripper Active Member

Joining the consensus here, scale 2 planets are really good for a nice quick intense game. Going beyond the basics, this is great for teaching you how to play better as it forces players to act and react quickly. Of course starting positions can be a bugger with unbuildable mex spots and ending up johnny in the middle, :sadface: but this evens out if you manage to play a lot of games.

All that said, my true love is reserved for massive sprawling games that can take many hours to resolve. Unfortunately things are just way too buggy, unbalanced and the UI is tragically sub-optimal to make the larger games feasible right now.
  15. jurgenvonjurgensen

jurgenvonjurgensen Active Member

Scale 2 is the best planet size.
  16. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

But how can interplanetary get balanced without moons and asteroids present to mess around with? If the game gets balanced 100% and THEN moons and asteroids are added into the mix, they'll have a lot more trouble balancing it.
  17. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

Depends on my mood, if I want to be the queen ant I like small maps, KILL EVERYONE WITH ANTS AND THE QUEEN ANT COMMANDER!

If I want to go orbital I am not a fan. I just choose a game depending what I want, which is a nice feature, 6 man FFA on a scale 2 planet = uber combat.
    overseeker79 likes this.
  18. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

There isn't much point in balancing it yet. Its still lacking in a lot of areas.

At the moment I see orbital as something that is intentionally too costly. Its like this so that people don't build orbital every game.
  19. overseeker79

overseeker79 New Member

I Agree with this - "depending on what you want" ... That's the whole point of having the flexibility.

Create a couple of solar systems for yourself depending on what type of game you want to play ... and go from there!
  20. Reflexx85

Reflexx85 Member

"opens game, creates game, ... selects "generate new system"... problem solved ^^"