For Backers Only: AI building stuff

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Sorian, July 19, 2013.

1. vipez

vipez Member

Sorian is awesome so I'm sure he'll handle this somehow :3

Go Sorian!
    LavaSnake likes this.
  2. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

So I ran a few games with the AI, a couple games with two, one with three. It's improved so much beyond what it was before. I realize where my APM limit is, though I couldn't even pull a number out of my *** to give you.

The AI isn't good at breaking turtles, and while I know priority isn't completely implemented yet, the bombers that come in sometimes don't even attack anything at all. They just fly over and bomb a single extractor once, then do several flybys without attacking a thing.

That said, the way the AI judges where to attack is pretty impressive. Though there's problems with the AI's.. go-to strategy of moving it's units directly at you, and then just sorta.. making a right angle and going straight towards the nearest unguarded base entrance. Hell, I've seen it snake units just outside of my base over the range of several laser towers just to attack from the side. It turned the blob into a stream, and was easily taken care of.

My thing is this, it needs to hold it's units outside the range of artillery, or at least recognize that it's units are being fired upon quicker. I had time to build four advanced arty and halfway through a 5th before the AI realized it lost 70% of the bots it had sitting outside of my base, and made them run off somewhere. Keep in mind I only built them with a single advanced and 4 or so basic construction bots while stalling a +190 or so metal, so they went up pretty slowly.

I can't find any of the posts I remember reading about the current AI being difficult to take on, or the posts where it mopped the floor with the player, but to be honest I don't see it. It's not advanced enough quite yet, but it is impressive thus far, and I think Sorian's done a damn good job on it. Looking forward to more enhancements on it.
  3. dekate

dekate Member

i hazard the guess, if youre new to the game, they can come for a nasty surprise, the ai is fast on your heels if you want to learn the game.
    my first bot match nearly ended after less than 5min, when i got a blob of 20 in my base. my com took a bad hit, but i managed.
    i hope the AI will be adjustable like supcomFA with varying types of AI or a few sliders like "aggresiveness, hostility, speed, radarrange, etc."
    igncom1 likes this.
  4. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Actually, with the recent improvements I have been told I should probably increase the priority of setting up some difficulty options. Play tests have become .....interesting.
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

If its not a AI rebellion that is hacking the real world, then the AI simply isn't good enough. :p
    LavaSnake likes this.
  6. nobrains

nobrains Member

Could we get difficulty "do nothing"? It could act as a sandbox gamemode for now.
    zihuatanejo, LavaSnake and vipez like this.
  7. dekate

dekate Member

in my latest two games, with a friend agaisnt multiple AIs they pretty much did nothing... might because all three AIs decided to take bots in a mostly water map.
    but in the second match, we were on the same land mass, and still they stopped doing stuff after they built their fourth pgen and second mex...
  8. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Yep, if the AI doesn't start with 3 mexes nearby trouble ensues. Known issue on my list to fix.
  9. sinhosie

sinhosie New Member

@Nobrain after a wile the AI stops attacking or doing anything or gets stuck and just keeps paling units in one location so you can say we already kinds have a sandbox mode until Sorian gets the AI working correctly and doing more things... Cant wait till next update... Really I cant wait lol...
  10. CryFisch

CryFisch Member

i always get a servercrash in ai games after 8-9 minutes
  11. sinhosie

sinhosie New Member

Sorian the new patch has broken the AI if it starts in a water location it does nothing... Instead of having a water location as an option you should have the commanders start on land next to water... Also the AI builds the Metal Extractors under the water...
  12. corteks

corteks Active Member

Having water locations to start is so you can play on complete water worlds. Seems it's an AI problem with those start points that needs solving (like the problem of them spawning in a trench and not being able to do anything) rather than those start spots needing to be removed. After all you can build on water and your commander can move through water, so unless there's a glitch there shouldn't be a problem with starting in water.
  13. mrpete

mrpete Member

Or in a crater on moon biomes. Happened to me once, I was wondering why the third AI didn't do scratch and started searching, found the Commander in a mid-sized crater with one MEx and two power plants unable to move anywhere.
  14. corteks

corteks Active Member

Yeah last time I saw it was on a metal planet in one of the trenches. They'd actually spawned sideways, standing with their feet against the wall of the trench. Had to hit 'em with an orbital laser to take 'em out.
  15. badken

badken New Member

I just played my first game vs AI on a metal planet. I was having all kinds of fun building stuff and scouting around. After launching a satellite, I found the AI commander. He had built one metal extractor and two energy thingies and was just standing there. Not in a trench or anything.

So, I'm thinking, metal planets are probably not a good idea to play vs. AI right now?
  16. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I believe Sorian said further up that the AI doesn't work right at the moment if there aren't three metal spots at its starting location.
  17. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I attacked the AI's primary base location with a small number of advanced tanks. Rather than defend this prime location (where the commander and nukes were situated) the AI sent its bots out of the base to go attack me. It lost when my tanks found and overwhelmed his commander.

On the upside the AI was smart about using the bridge I had not yet fortified to get to my base.
  18. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Base defense has not gone in.
  19. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

Maybe Sorian's AI will become so smart it will finish writing the game... build killer robots... and take over the world. That's the good news... Well the bad news - Let's not talk about that. #Ubernet
    LavaSnake likes this.
  20. sinhosie

sinhosie New Member

For now we should have the option to select the AI location so we can ensure its in a location where it will function :)... I can tell you before the recent patch where you can now select a water location the AI was brutal and sending swarms and swarms of units and attacking from all my weak spots... It almost took me out but my swarm of bombers saved my *** and I had to use a lot because bombers right now are kind of broken... Keep up the good work Sorian and to tell you the truth I only look forward to the new updates to see what new things the AI does... So the first thing I look for in the patch notes is any info regarding the AI...
    Last edited: October 18, 2013