RAM memory leak? 100% usage.

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Natima, October 7, 2013.

?

Have you experienced this?

1. Yes

75.0%
  2. No

25.0%
  1. Natima

Natima New Member

6GB of tri-channel DDR3 getting obliterated like no other program I have ever used. Cubase, Photoshop, Games, whatever.

This happens when loading a game, when in the system editor, and any other time a planet needs to be loaded.
    The picture shown is a system with a single planet, no more. CPU usage is generally low, around 10-20% with a few spikes - it's a 3.8Ghz Intel i7 920 Quad-core... not a problem. My GPU appears to be barely breaking a sweat as the temperature and fan-speed remain very low... much lower than if I am running CS:GO or R2TW.

It seems to the be only performance bottleneck for me, and has crashed my PC twice.

Attached Files:

2. Yemm

Yemm New Member

I've noticed that the type of planet you're on (blackness, cracks, and mountains.) cause extreme RAM usage.
    I'm pretty sure Uber are aware of it and are (probably) working on a fix.
  3. RainbowDashPwny

RainbowDashPwny Active Member

How many planets are you generating and of what size? With 8gbs I can generate around 7 planets with one being 1000 and the rest being between 200-600.
  4. Natima

Natima New Member

Like I said, that system contained a SINGLE planet. The size as you can see is 1391.
  5. RainbowDashPwny

RainbowDashPwny Active Member

Ahh, sorry. I am at work, skimmed over it a bit too fast.
  6. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

I voted yes I experienced this, but you have to take into account, the size of your planet is absolutely massive! that size of planet is definitely not optimized yet... Mine starts to do that around the 800 range, or at least it starts to become unstable, the last patch did a MASSIVE improvement and can actually use 800 sized planets now, but over 1300, thats just a bit crazy unless you have a super computer right now.

Here is mine at the same planet settings as yours.......

[​IMG]

Got 8GB DDR3, and my RAM hit 77% with my GPU VRAM hitting 980MB out of the 1GB it has, basically maxed, though the issue might be RAM based, there is some VRAM weirdness going on as well...
    Last edited: October 7, 2013
  7. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

1391 is a massive planet. Keep below 1000 and don't make tons of planets in a system. You won't be able to play the game with settings like that.
  8. Natima

Natima New Member

I guess either the option for such large planets should be removed (Or a warning displayed), or they should fix it so they don't hog so much resources.
    I get that's it's a massive planet, but that's an insane amount of resources for a game to be using. I'm not so sure it's a matter of 'Oh it's a big planet' so much as I think there's something wrong with the way the game is handing RAM and VRAM.
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

1GB of VRAM usage is pretty normal for PA. I don't think it is a complete bug. The RAM usage sometimes goes indeed pretty high, there are definitely still a few memory leaks and inefficient things at work.

EDIT:
    [​IMG]
    ~3GB of RAM for PA is still pretty average of what it uses actually. I've seen it go to 10GB. That's when I suspect memory leaks. I guess the 3 something is still just the result of a bit of unoptimized code with a rather big planet.

Also note they per default don't allow generating planets larger than -I think- 1500.

EDIT 2: Got the seed wrong in my first try, but it doesnt change anything.
    Last edited: October 7, 2013
  10. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Keep in mind the relative scale you're playing around with. I've mentioned that we do a lot of our 10 person free for alls on planets between 1000 meter radius and 1150 meter radius. A 1400 meter radius planet has almost double the surface area of a 1100 meter radius planet. That's a LOT of terrain, a lot of features, and a lot of additional information needed in memory. While I expect we'll be bringing down this usage a lot, 1400 is by no means small, even as a single planet. That's a tremendous amount of geometry data you're creating.

This isn't a memory leak. That's just a dang big planet. :)
  11. garat

To clarify, there MAY well be memory leaks, but I don't think what you're talking about here is indicative of one. It's just a ton of data.
  12. Rentapulous

Rentapulous Member

Gotta say, I managed a game on a planet of around that size and it was unbelievably fun. It did take forever to load though. Lots of naval battles.
  13. mistercheif

mistercheif Member

I'm just going to throw in here that with 16GB of RAM I've been able to generate a system with two 1500 radius planets, plus 4 200 radius moons, and that brought me up to around 10GB of RAM usage.
  14. garat

Based on our current usage, that seems high, but in the right ballpark, yup. I have a 32GB system at home and I have been able to use it all. :) Though it takes quite a bit of trying.
  15. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

Perhaps a second slider "Surface Area" that is tied to radius might be more intuitive for some people? They should be linked, so that moving one moves the other. Probably low on the priority list but something to consider.

Its hard to grasp how much playable area there is based on the radius, and as you said, going from 1100 to 1400 doubles the entire playable space, which is difficult to see at a glance.
  16. garat

I could possibly making the units toggleable. But radius is a pretty straightforward number to work with. Surface area covers such a wide range, not sure how well you could make it clear.

Maybe a pop up that shows the pi*r^2 equation? :)
  17. Zahav

Zahav Member

Maybe it should say 4πr^2 ;)
  18. srysbizness

srysbizness New Member

Its just ridiculous, you guys say that the recommended requirements are 8gb of ram, and I cant even play at the very minimum settings with 8gbs without getting 15 FPS.
  19. SXX

SXX Post Master General

When beta come out I generated 16 planet's with different types and default size and this only used about 10GB RAM, so I have no doubt that one planet even with 1391 radious shouldn't use 6GB RAM.
  20. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Are you sure your problem related to RAM at all? Upload your DxDiag.txt ;)