What's the development plan (if it exists)?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by sokolek, October 6, 2013.

1. sokolek

sokolek Member

1) Does Über Entertainment have a patch/update plan?
    2) If yes what is it? :)
    3) We, the citizens of the Milky Way galaxy :cool:, would like to know when we can expect to have this and that fixed? :)
    4) Can we get the answer that is more precise than "before release date", or "when it's done"?
    5) IF answer_to_4="yes" THEN GOTO 2 :D
    Last edited: October 6, 2013
  2. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

1. No, they don't <3
    2. ^
    3. ^
    4. ^
    5. ^

PA's development is known as the iterative process. Uber sets goals at the beginning of each day, attempts to achieve those goals, and on a regular day they will achieve them. They keep doing this until they have a game.

This results in more instability and structure devolution over time, as different branches of PA are worked on simultaneously (and often broken simultaneously), the code becomes more convoluted and incomprehensible. However, the iterative process allows Uber to pretty much ignore the barriers placed on creative freedom by a "regular" development cycle, resulting in a much more rich and emergent game.
  3. sokolek

sokolek Member

Haha, personally I would have exactly the same approach myself.
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Nope, thanks. I'd like to be surprised a bit each time.

If there was some roadmap with ETAs I'm probably won't wait for (and probably won't test at all) many builds because then I would have waited for features I need. Current releases make me test them again and I'm sure it's not only me like that.

So traditional development with ETAs are boring to participate, IMHO :)
    fergie likes this.
  5. sokolek

sokolek Member

In my case it is opposite, I am not playing PA at all, until I get features that are most important for me fixed. When PA is patched, when log doesn't say much of what was fixed, I start the game, check if what I want is fixed. It is not -I quit. It takes no more than 5min.
  6. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Yeah, same here soko. I'm still waiting for the unit balance to be fixed before I play again. If I want to pit endless hordes of the exact same unit against one another, I can play Multiwinnia. And even then Multiwinnia is so random that it makes pitting the exact same amount of units against the exact same amount of the same unit interesting.
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

What will change for you then if developers will publicly post their plans and you will see that your feature is #9001 on list? o_O

For me personally it's will make waiting of new build less fun, but it's only me.

Also as I see if devs disclosures their plans publicly it's might result in conflict between people in community because some of us want proper modding support, some proper balance and some want ability to play on their super slow notebook. So I'm personally think that Uber need to keep work like they worked before.

Only thing I see as useful it's feature request system with proper voting limit because. Current bug tracker is not designed handling feature request.
    Last edited: October 6, 2013
    lokiCML and fergie like this.
  8. asgo

asgo Member

my guess would be, the main reason for not publicly posting their plan/roadmap is that there is near to no benefit from doing so.
    -the ones which can accept the terms "preliminary" and "subject to change" probably could have lived with current announced goals and specific answers to certain issues.
    - the ones expecting a punctual roadmap will be disappointed anyhow
    - the ones who's pet issues are scheduled at the end as well, as sxx mentioned
    -the ones who don't care one way or the other, will still don't care

so the number who would be satisfied would be limited and to make matters worse this plan would have to be updated constantly to not be out of date any time someone refers to it. ;)
    lokiCML likes this.
  9. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

My best guess would be,

----For the programmers-----
    Next 8 weeks will be:-
    Bug fixing on a daily basis based on Tester feedback, and then when most bugs are resolved maybe try to implement a new feature or fine tune an existing feature.

Then the last few weeks before release should be Graphical Polishing and Shader improvements, networking and rendering optimizations and stuff.

----For the Artists-----
    Next 8-10 weeks:-
    Designing the base units, adding animation's, bug fixing animations and animation optimizations. that will be added to the final release,

And for the last few weeks before release, Final Graphical polishing and texture polishing, unit visual polishing.

-------------------

This is only a guess, but im sure it would be something like that!!
  10. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

Yep.

I do know that they have GUI on their radar in the future, but not quite until the core mechanics are a bit more developed.

I'm just hoping the community will have a chance to participate in that (a bit).