Bugs (editor in β Build 54459)

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by sokolek, September 30, 2013.

1. sokolek

sokolek Member

1) Previously I reported a slowdown bug (editor slows down at least 10 fold after previewing multiple (≥ 3) planets or after building the system -maybe due to lack of decent LOD).

Now I submit more β Build 54459 editor bugs:

2) System is not always saved after hitting SAVE (most often it is not saved).

3) Noncircular orbits are not saved correctly (all orbits are saved as circular. Elliptical (ε>0) orbits become circular (ε=o)). Editor should save ε of the orbit and for example location of second focus or the tilt of the orbit, or the planet velocity (and calculate orbit from it) and identifier of the object that is in focus of that orbit).

4) When many moons orbit a planet closely to each other and the planet but not colliding, often after reloading such system in the editor, instead of orbiting the planet, moons orbit each other. This probably happens when editor state is saved at the moment when one of the moons is closer to the other moon than to the planet. In such case, it is very likely that after reloading the system, such moon is going to orbit the moon it is closer to instead of the planet).

5) After reloading a system into editor, orbits not only become circular but often (however not always) planet or moon velocity changes sign (planet or moon travels on circular orbit and in opposite direction). This probably happens when you want your planet or moon orbit its owner in opposite (not default) direction.

6) Changed planet/moon names are not always remembered (editor often restores old planet/moon name)

7) Sometimes previewing again desert planets does not work (some parameter other than seed must be changed for preview to work)
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

There also other bug in editor: button "build" don't want to build more than 16 planets:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/building-a-system-with-approx-25-bodies.52052/

Even if I add more than 16 planets it's starting to generate only 16 and when generation is finished and I press button again it's just ignore command.

I still might generate more planets using "preview", but it's not seems like good solution.
  3. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

Planets tie into the virtual texture system which ties into hardware limitations. Bad things happen if you have more than 16 planets.

Celestial mechanics are very much a work in progress. Currently the game doesn't support non-circular orbits, even though the editor does.

Some of these other things are a JS bugs, and I'll bring them up to DJ.
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Can you put some *hidden* options into UI to disable this limit?

I'm just want to generate extremely large solar system with CPU and HDD only :rolleyes:
    This way my RAM/VRAM limited by 2TB :)
  5. sokolek

sokolek Member

Is there some plan for the order of what and when is going to be fixed in updates?