Mac and Linux: Getting Started

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by garat, June 14, 2013.

1. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Don't spend time on 32-bit, there is no excuse for using 32-bit Linux distributions on gaming-grade hardware.

Better spend some time on open source Radeon drivers performance. Or make some instruction how we can help you with it. E.g we can collect any amount of debugging information like apitrace dumps.
  2. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

Fair enough will let me friend know, personally I am fine with 64bit, I think people should upgrade and stop dragging the 64bit push back.
  3. pihpe

pihpe New Member

Hello!

I am also experiencing the flickering mouse cursor, tried to mess around but to no avail. My system specs are here:

https://gist.github.com/Pihpe/5973897

Using the 325.08 driver at the moment.
  4. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

I made flickering mouse cursor go away by enable compositing with xcompmgr.
    I have LXDE which does not support compositing so different than normal config. The trick is to configure your desktop to use xrenderer for compositing instead of opengl if you have compiz, gnome. KDE something like that. The bug appears to still be there with compositing just less visible, cursor only slightly flickers and game playable. I wonder if the PA UI is using compositing.
  5. armoredmammal

armoredmammal New Member

Re: Mac and Linux: Getting Started - How to download for Lin

I feel like this thread should be stickied... I don't know if I'm blind, but I had no idea how to download the Linux version of the alpha until I found this thread.

(You, know because I didn't see the subforum... :oops: )

PS: I also can't seem to figure out the trick to making it run under Linux Mint 13 Maya 64 bit. I get the sound and window with a black box using FGLRX, but link the libudev.so didn't do anything.
  6. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Re: Mac and Linux: Getting Started - How to download for Lin

Seems like you met Vsync issue:
    viewtopic.php?p=768153#p768153

Try to play with Catalyst settings. It's can be fixed at least on last Beta driver.
  7. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

sim stats being reported really high on my linux box, like 2900 fps for client and 8000 for server and windows7 stats much lower don't know if sim stats being reported correctly in linux
  8. UberWilliam

UberWilliam Uber Alumni

Yup, they are jacked. QueryPeformaceCounter on windows and clock_gettime on linux don't return times using the same units and we stupidly just pass the raw values from the server (currently running on windows) to the client (running on windows, linux, or OSX) without any fixup.

I would care more if:
    1 - this was more than just a debugging tool.
    2 - planets crashing into each other worked!

:)

-William

ps: I actually really do care. I care about every bug, no matter how minor. But gotta prioritize...
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I'm tried to ask this many times but don't get an answer... Let's just try again.
    Will be assets (shaders, JSON, etc) auto reloading available on Linux anytime soon? :oops:

I'm have many of modding ideas, but I can restart game each time I changed shader for example. And game is broken on my Windows machine because it's have Intel HD. I'm do some testing of shaders using APITrace, but it's not really designed for such task.

And Intel card is actually bad to check something related to lighting because it's doesn't render shadows properly even on Windows.
    Last edited: September 4, 2013
  10. UberWilliam

UberWilliam Uber Alumni

I'll take a look at it and see if I can slip it in. Unfortunately, it isn't critical path, so I can't get too distracted looking into it. It doesn't stop anyone from being able to play the game and it isn't necessary for the features we are trying to get in for beta, so alas, it comes in kinda low on the priority list.

-William
    SXX likes this.
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Thank you for answer, for me it's really important that somebody actually know about that issue even if it's will be done in late beta.
  12. jeroendedauw

jeroendedauw New Member

I got an alpha key and have played the game a bit on my Windows box, after directly downloading it. Now that Linux support is in, I'd like to play it on my Linux box, and have it installed via Steam. From what I understand, I ought to be able to own the game in steam with my same key. Not sure on how to exactly do this though.

Did the uberent.com/user/linkedsteamaccount thing, which worked (Your UberNet account jeroendedauw (jeroendedauw@gmail.com) is currently linked to Steam account Jeroen De Dauw.). PA is not showing up in my Steam game list though. Is there some additional thing I need to do?

Edit: I figured I'd just get the archive for now, and went over to store.uberent.com/Download/Install. The link is broken ("AccessDenied"). I can get the exe, but not the tarball.
    Last edited: October 4, 2013
  13. ubermaugustine

ubermaugustine Uber Alumni

To get PA to show up in your Steam library, you'll need to convert your PA key to a Steam key at https://store.uberent.com/account/mykeys. Once you've done that, you can activate the Steam key in Steam and PA will be added to your game list.

Is your computer behind a firewall by chance? We've seen cases where the CDN we use to distribute the downloads refuses requests from web proxies that set the X-Forwarded-For header in the HTTP request.
  14. aonoa

aonoa New Member

Is anyone else getting integrity errors when attempting to decompress "PA_Linux_54757.tar.bz2"? I've redownloaded it many times, both with Firefox and wget to no avail. I've not run into this issue with prior build archives.
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Check checksum, mine result:
    Code:
    $ md5sum PA_Linux_54757.tar.bz2
    376531043a2e3b71cc67a8468ab9e239  PA_Linux_54757.tar.bz2
  16. aonoa

aonoa New Member

I was just about to post my md5 checksum, and mine is different from yours:
    Code:
    $ md5sum PA_Linux_54757.tar.bz2
    ac16324bc4f4f04f10a665ae56c79035  PA_Linux_54757.tar.bz2
    It's size with ls -s is "440320" or with ls -sh "430M".
  17. aonoa

aonoa New Member

Something is definitely going on with my downloads, I just downloaded it twice with two different filenames using wget both times and the files have two different md5sums. Both these checksums also differ from the one I posted earlier.
  18. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's looks like you have some weird problem with downloading. Do you have any proxy/VPN/etc?

PS: File size should be 449953298. Try to use wget and if it's stops before this file size loaded re-run it with "-c" (continue) flag.
  19. aonoa

aonoa New Member

When using wget on a different system, storing it locally instead of through samba, I get the same checksum as you. When I then check that same file over a samba share using my gaming system, it shows a different checksum. However, downloading it locally to my gaming system still shows flawed checksums.

Seems like it is something odd going on with my gaming computer.
  20. SXX

SXX Post Master General

dmesg?