It's time to talk unit ideas

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by neutrino, September 30, 2013.

1. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Maybe a plane that has a ground mode because the air interceptors if your opponent never gets air means they become redundant.....
  2. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

No that's just funny. We could call it a T1000 or something?
  3. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Metal planets can transform into Unicron?
    archcommander likes this.
  4. canadiancommander

canadiancommander Member

Many great unit Ideas have been suggested in this thread. However, the core unit set has to be fleshed out befor any extra units are added. Luckily there is only one core unit missing a transport ship, used to transport units over water / quickly reposition units. As it stands on maps with many islands there is no option but to go Air/Naval.
  5. FireDrakeX

FireDrakeX Member

I'd like a hunter-killer satellite that can work as a sort of turret to help defend your planet from large groups of orbital fighters. It's main goal would be to shoot at orbital fighters.

For a basic tech unit, I'd love to see something like a baneling: a bot that can bury itself, cloak, and the explode when other units run over the top of it.

Top tier: transportation pad/warp gate that work like a nydus worm to get land units from one planet to another. However you'd have to build the gate on the other planet with fabbers, so it wouldn't be like how the nydus worm works, where it builds its own exit.

A transport plane for tanks would be wonderful. They're so slow.

I'd also love some low level scout unit that would drop cameras constantly that would reveal fog of war in a tiny radius. Those cameras would last until destroyed or a set amount of time (like 120 seconds).
  6. bradburning

bradburning Active Member

Hope i have not had to much cross over with other peoples post but gave up going over all the post a few pages in. :p

Stormer - Bot - T2
    Amphibious version of the slammer. I just love the idea of seeing an army of bots emerging from the ocean floor to attack.

Blink - Radar shielding Tank- T2
    Very expensive tank which has a small AOE around it blocking it self and other units from radar. This would not be stealth so units can still be seen ounce in line of site.

Whirl wind - AA tank - T2
    Long range version of Spinner on Leveler body, higher rate of fire.

Torpedo Boat - T2 Boat armed with a torpedo turret and anti land short range cannon.

Support Boat - T2 Boat an up gunned version of a frigate but also armed with a radar (range idk umm some where between standard and advanced). I feel this is needed to go along with missile boats and to bring some limited AA to tier 2 naval by the added cost of radar ect.

Guardian - Orbital deference satellite - With there being no good counter to orbital fighters swarming over a base killing solar satellites and my very expensive Advanced radar satellite. I know work is being done to make the iron cannon to make it a viable counter but I still would like more options. I see the satellite being fairly expensive with a range significantly larger than Orbital fighter and as durable as laser satellite.
    Last edited: October 5, 2013
  7. hanspeterschnitzel

hanspeterschnitzel Active Member

I would prefer to have no orbital fighter (they kinda ruin the orbital feeling) and isntead only have such defence satellites. They could produce missiles similar to anti-nukes, but they use them as an anti-sat weapon?

Will units have secondary weapons by the way? Like, in SupCom a battleship had its strong main guns, some flak and anti tactical missile defences. Will some of PAs units also have more than one weapon system?
  8. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Can i vote AGAINST air-based unit transports?

Seriously, it will just open up transport air-blobbing where filled transports and some sacrificial lamb (cheap interceptors?) fly past thick AA and drop an army behind your defensive lines, screwing you over royally.

I would VASTLY prefer if we just move around armies via Unit Cannons (let the units be shot down mid-flight by the Umbrella) or unit cannons mounted on ships, but god please no Air Transports.
    zweistein000 likes this.
  9. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

10. Devak

I would expect the unit cannon to be far more end-game than something along the lines of a T2 bomber.
    zweistein000 likes this.
  11. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

How in the hell are advanced units end game?

End game is asteroid throwing, and battlefield destroying.

I fully expect unit cannons to be in the mid game.
  12. Devak

we may need an additional phase..

I would consider it:
    T1 >T2> Orbital>Interplanetary (as phases).

I would put transports in the T2 phase but the Unit Cannon in the Orbital phase. Thus, the part where your base gets steamrolled by units popping in gets delayed by a phase.

Anyway, i expect the Unit Cannon to shoot units into orbit from where they can land at a location of their choosing. I feel that if we add an air transport, we're just combining the power of air and land into something far stronger than either. I get that this is the purpose of the transport, but it's also too prone to being a too effective strategy. I would prefer to see Naval get a transport to promote the use and rule over the seas in stead of fixating too much on Air.

Ultimately, i feel the reason all this stuff in the PA (but also TA and supcom) universe exists because the logistics of moving large armies is flawed and that the Commander is the answer to this flaw: locally building up the armies in stead of moving them in.

Without shields, Turtling is a far less effective strategy than it is in most games. I fear Air transports (i again say: AIR transports) just make that strategy impossible and place way too much power in the Air regime.
    zweistein000 likes this.
  13. ucsgolan

ucsgolan Member

I want to see a unit can changes direction of bullets and missiles (something like mobile shield, but unlike shield, it does not absorb damages but send the bullets to out of area this unit covers and the bullet still give damages to other units). I think that I saw something like this one in Black ops Mod (Lambda field).
  14. infowars

infowars Member

Because no one ever gets tired of hearing it - Bring back the krogoth. It is the coolest bot that existed ever in anything ever.

But, in addition to this, can/sumo is a great mobile defense unit, but you remember the leveller? That t1 riot control tank that was great at swatting peewee/flash swarms? Again, I like units that are clearly mobile defense, slow, long range, decent HP.

This is not so much a suggestion of a unit, but, with the experimental tech titan sized walker units, give them jetpacks. It can be a buildon, so when they walk out of the factory/get built by engineers, you can click on the unit, and choose a jetpack upgrade. Your titan becomes inactive and the nanolathe frame builds up for the jetpack.

This is a crazy idea, but this is why I like PA, it feels like it'd be appropiate. Once your massive huge bot of death n destruction has the jetpack, point it into the enemy base, launch it, and watch it drop down with a massive kinetic impact, jetpack falling off as it stands up and starts killing anything that survives the inital blast. Utter pandemonium.

As PA will be on spherical battlefields, it's not like what you can do in previous games with having lines of defense towers that the enemy would throw themselves upon, and for this, I would like to see jetpacking krogoths :D
    iron420 likes this.
  15. infowars

infowars Member

I forgot to add this. Didn't the loyalist do that with missiles, redirecting them? A unit that could redirect/reflect fire would be so much fun. The akido of defense :)
  16. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

I was surfing through the "Why no advanced AA?" thread over there, and was thinking about how to add a flak-type aircraft without actually using the same explosive air-burst rounds that other flak cannons use.

The gatling gun unit for anti air that Mike brought up in the thread was pretty cool.
    Then I thought of it. The Shilka. It's a quad barreled auto-cannon type anti-aircraft unit that worked similar to how the T1 AA cannons worked in SupCom, but instead of two shooting at the same time, this monster cycles the barrels relentlessly, and these mass bullets will tear your hull into cheesecake before your mind registers that you're being fired at. (I know full well that they're prone to overheating problems.* Checked the wiki, and this was already solved with superior cooling.)

A good example of this monster in action is a trailer for World in Conflict. Check out the bit around 0:55.

I don't know if this kind of unit design is The Bestâ„¢ but it's definitely flak that's different. It's not too bogusly overpowered since it should miss a decent bit, but would definitely not be as broken as air-burst flak can get. In large numbers, they'd do low damage extremely quickly over a smaller area and cause a type of fear to fly over them using air units.

In contrast, this same unit was extremely effective at ground troop deployments, so perhaps it would be decent at killing raiding bots at the basic level or anything with light armor, but do little to no damage at all versus real tank armor. Plus this type of unit can be slow to move, medium turret speed, and slow aiming. It already has strengths, weaknesses, and a counter built into it. Constructive criticism, anyone?
    Last edited: October 5, 2013
  17. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

I do agree with this but not in "game ender" fashion. This game is about vast armies build by rouge AI commanders trying to annihilate each other. Note the "Vast" in that sentence. I'd like a megabot to be something that can take on moderate T2 armies at the most (like I posted in my megabot suggestion tread 10-25 at the most, but is should cost around 25-50 T2 units resource wise). That way you still get the super unit that wrecks havoc when build and you can spam them in limited numbers but 1 unit will never end the game unless you ignore it while it takes on your commander in a 1v1. The only way I kinda would allow this is if you commander would be riding that super unit (but even then I'd rather not have it that strong).

I agree with that 100%. Nay for air transports.
  18. mictomli

mictomli New Member

Does Uber have the intention to add shields, radar jamming and other such buildings. Maybe more importantly.... is there a list of units and structures under development so I don't have to repeat questions that have likely already been stated.
    How does the idea of a hovercraft troops transport sound?
    Back in the days of TA and in the expansion, they brought out defense structures (guns) which, when not firing retreated into an underground state. Not that they were camouflage, the bay doors were still plainly visible. But this could be a viable alternative to shields if Uber didn't want to add them.

I am definitely enjoying the game! I would like to see radar jammers soon, I miss those surprise attacks at close range!
  19. mictomli

mictomli New Member

I feel like these.."gattling tanks" or structures, would have limited range versus the missile fire AA that is currently in the game. How about a adv AA which still fires a missile, but the missile breaks into multiple war heads?

20. mictomli

mictomli New Member

I think Teleport gateway would be a FANTASTIC alternative to a flying transport or any other transportation unit.
    I know alot of people are saying the best way is to build new factories closer to the fight and walk up. But if you have tons of infrastructure pumping out units, why just leave it behind?? Teleportation gateways, (like stargates) is a great idea. thumbs up to you.