Disappointed with game direction

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Siigari, October 4, 2013.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

This is not a sequal to PA/TA.

This has lots of similarities to those games, but takes the game in a rather new direction.
  2. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Fun fact; The the units are as detailed as SupCom. They have almost exactly the same number of polys and the texture size is comparable (if not better).

They are just of a different style. Get used to it. It's not changing.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  3. Siigari

Siigari Member

I had a chuckle at that XKCD map thing, haha.

Alright so basically what I'm hearing is this is going to be like TA but it doesn't have the immersion factor yet?

And yeah I see elements that are more closely resembling TA than FA, then I see some that are vice versa. Either way, it is a closer representation of TA than FA.
  4. nanolathe

That's debatable.
  5. Siigari

Siigari Member

This is a forum, please share your thoughts.
  6. enderdude

enderdude Member

WELCOME TO EARLY BETA: WHERE BUGS ROAM WILD AND GAMES ARENT FINISHED, ENJOY YOUR STAY.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  7. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I see you're not familiar with Nanolathe ;)
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  8. hanspeterschnitzel

hanspeterschnitzel Active Member

Such threads make me want to gather people who make such threads on a planet and... then..... incomming KEW! Hahah. Seriously though. You complain about the graphics? Did you watch the "gameplay visulization" trailer, yes? You did that, right? Before you gave Uber $150? Did you think that this trailer was showing a completly different game?

Personally I LOVE the style of this game. It's great. It isn't cartoonish (Mike explained why it isn't), it's simple, easy to understand and still looks good! The explosions heavily remind me of the game Worms though, and I liked that game and I like the explosions, too. (The mushroom of the nuclear explosion could stay a bit longer though)
  9. nanolathe

We're seeing tier obsolescence between T1, T2 and 'T3', the reduction of interaction between layers, arbitrary enforcement of rock-paper-scissors mechanics, paper-thin unit armour, a focus on large scale engagements to the total detriment of small scale skirmishes, an increased pacing and focus on twitch reaction skill and micro...

And that's just scratching the surface.

---

Everyone on these forums will become acquainted with me WrongCat... it's just a matter of time.
    :p
    psycros likes this.
  10. deleterus

deleterus New Member

I love that style of graphics) Tanks looks brutal, buildings have moving objects.

And about fractions, i said that question too.)) I CAN live with 1 fraction, but i want to see a FACE of that fraction. Name, emblem, flag, emperor\king\president\lord\CPU, MOTIVE of war!!
  11. greendiamond

greendiamond Active Member

i care nothing for graphics i dont see why people beg for it so much it looks good enough. why do you need good graphics to play a game.

besides they said that graphics was post production we wont be seeing huge improvements in that till near completetion
    Murcanic likes this.
  12. greendiamond

Every time i read your posts in other threads i always feel like your expecting perfection from beta. We barely even started adding all the units. Of course they are going to have a unbalanced health to power ratio, crappy layer interaction, and rock-paper-scissor syndrome caused by all of the previously mentioned problems having to also be somewhat fun to play. we have to have this frankenstein of a game to test game mechanics. there is just too many parts missing to have the game that we want.
  13. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Seems you opened your mouth for both feet sir!!!!.......
    Get em guys!!!
  14. greendiamond

???
  15. psycros

psycros New Member

Soooo glad I didn't back this game. Everything about it screams imminent failure. Fortunately it looks like Wargaming.net and Chris Taylor are working on the real TA 2 :)
  16. occusoj

occusoj Active Member

Good enough, the worst enemy of advance or progress.
    Wat? Electric light? Candles are good enough.
    DSL? Nonsens, 56k is good enough.

No, dont ever argue with "good enough".

Why people beg for good looking games? Well, maybe because many of them like nice visuals. One doesnt buy ugly houses, cloth, cars or dates girls best viewed in total darness unless theres no other option.
    Graphics isnt the most important thing, thats gameplay/balance and stability for sure, but it ranks high up.

And besides that, I think the problem is that its actually less detailed and currently looking a bit worse than games much older.

It will be playable on highest settings in the future and as long as it looks like the concept art already released, Im ok with it. Nothing spectacular but ok. I fully understand that its on a somewhat tight budget and appreciate the decission to chop graphics and factions instead of much more vital stuff.
    Would have been nice though if it had looked really outstanding.

Honestly, I dont think its over the point of no return yet. How do you come to the conclusion its already over?
    What do you expect from a beta? Such development stages are full with bugs and far from complete. Thats nothing unusual.
  17. greendiamond

im so glad you cut out the second half of my point there any thing to help your argument.

when i said that i was talking about myself I dont care about graphics I think it is good enough as. i dont care if they try for better graphics in PA i know they are going to improve them and add shaders and all that other goodness
  18. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

19. greendiamond

oh but what do you mean by feet and mouth???
  20. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

People with sense please stop feeding the trolls..... if they can't read and understand WORK IN PROGRESS!!!! Then that's their own stupid fault for not doing so.....