Ugly mountain ranges, tropical trees/beaches and ICE.

Discussion in 'Support!' started by ghost1107, October 3, 2013.

1. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

Mountains
    If you create a planet with many mountains the mountain ranges just dont look nice. They look like separate mountains just akwardly being placed next to each other. All mountains just pop out of the ground and are not gradualy but instant with an almost 90 degree angle. It's not like I hate the pointy mountains but they just dont mix well. Also no matter how small the mountain it will be covered in snow even if the planet has high tempratures. I mean those "mountains" are the same hight as my commander.

EDIT: Mountain sizes might look unrealistic incomparison to the scale of buildings and units.

Suggestions:
    Small mountains no snow
    Mountains with a more gradual slope, more natural
    Mountains that fit better together instead of /\/\/\/\/\/\
    Giant mountains that planes cannot fly over

Trees
    When you have a tropical planet, where are the tropical trees?

Suggestions:
    Add tropical trees.
    Pearl white beaches (only having brown beaches is boring)
    Add cliffs please, currently there are no cliffs only beaches.

Ice
    I would like it if there was ice in the game, especially on ice planets. It would be nice if you could destroy ice and it would frees over again in time. So that you can sink units by destoying the ice or sent ships to sail through the ice. (This would slow the ships down.)

Suggestions:
    Add ice
    If possible make it destructible (fun for both units and ships)
    Last edited: October 14, 2013
    rayfe, corteks and whisperr like this.
  2. hahapants

hahapants Active Member

I am all about this, but would probably require a complete re-working of their procedural generation system. We know they are working on the planet generator still and they will likely begin to add more sliders for us to play with as well as adding more types of mountains, shore lines, glaciers, whatever...
    ghost1107 likes this.
  3. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

We are all well aware the planets are only at a state of being playable, and beyond feature complete.
    I do like the idea of patches of ice, maybe not something that destroys ships, but regions of "slow terrain". Especially for pure water planets.
  4. borkyborkbork

borkyborkbork New Member

I like the idea of mountains that airplanes cannot fly over. If it's not an unbelievable amount of extra work I do think there is strategic value in that feature.
    thetallestone and Ortikon like this.
  5. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

Yeah, know it's still Beta. But thats also why I'm giving my opinion and suggestions. To help create/develop a better game. Some higer land platforms might also be nice.

I was a bit unclear what I meant was. To sink land units by destroying the ice there standing on. And for ships to beable to sail through the ice with a speed penalty.
  6. dacite

dacite Member

I agree with the mountains. It would nice if uber altered the biome generator such that planets had some semblance of plate boundaries and realistic mountain/volcano placement.

High Mountains should be in ranges but they could continue to be liberal with small mountain placement.
    plink likes this.
  7. plink

plink Active Member

I agree, especially with the mountains. Need bigger, wider and more varied shapes like in the original trailer and the early concepts. (I also like the trees from the second image.) What happened to these ideas/art direction:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: October 4, 2013
    rayfe, camycamera, fergie and 2 others like this.
  8. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

Yeah, that is what I mean and why I made this tread. :)
  9. fergie

fergie Member

The planets are pretty much bare bones so we can play on them..... from livestreams seems they will be adding in more detail to trees and having trees burn first....

im sure we will have a lot more changes to planets soon :)
    camycamera likes this.
  10. plink

plink Active Member

I'm not going to hold my breath though. There is a pretty big difference between where we are now, and what those concept images look like. The texturing and scale are very different. To move the game in that direction would be a huge change, and not an iteration of the previous design.
    Last edited: October 4, 2013
  11. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

I can only give input and suggestions in the end the once making the game are the programmers at Uber. I just hope they see the suggestions and get inspired and get ideas. Maybe they will like my ideas and put them in but it's up to them. I just want them to make a good looking well balanced game for me and everybody else here. I hope for a extremely epic game and a true successor for TA.

I say I a lot, Aye. :p