It's time to talk unit ideas

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by neutrino, September 30, 2013.

1. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Staring at your navel can be inspiring.

T1 Tricky Scout Sub
    Relatively fast (for a sub) and equipped with a special defense system that can 'spoof' anti-sub weapons, letting the scout retreat in the commotion. Moderate distance sonar. Similar function to Sun Fish, but trades speed and information for the ability to spy on active fleets.

T1 Destroyer
    Relatvely fast ship armed with cannons, anti-air guns and anti-sub depth charges. Short range sonar. Jack-of-all-trades, but requires large numbers to be effective at any role. (The blob unit of the sea.)

T1 Missile Frigate
    Radar and bombardment ship, armed with several small, inaccurate multi-stage missile launchers. Mainly useful for bombarding targets that can't chase it away.

T1 Amphibious Fabrication Boat
    Converts to a bot-like fabricator when on land. Potentially useful for transitioning from a naval starting position onto solid ground.

T1 Fabrication Float-Track
    The 'land' equivalent to the amphibious fabrication boat, just in case hovercraft are too obvious for you.

T2 Supralittoral Cruiser
    Cruiser with extremely shallow draft that can beach itself for additional bombardment range, but is effectively stuck if land units can't give it a little push.

T2 Transport Hydrofoil
    High speed large-scale aquatic transport. Can accelerate to a higher speed than all other ships, despite its speed.

T2 Sniper Sub
    Submarine with long ranged torpedoes. Can snipe navies and defenses from a distance, akin to artillery.

T2 Deep Water Sub
    Submarine that attempts to lurk below the crush depths of most naval units and weapons. Nearly untouchable, but mainly limited to scouting and economic harassment due to short ranged weapons.
  2. asgo

asgo Member

easy to solve, "Selfreplicating mine field" just to get a DS9 reference in. ;)
    iron420 and mushroomars like this.
  3. punkroadkill

punkroadkill New Member

Big Stompy Robot!!
  4. punkroadkill

punkroadkill New Member

Seriously though, Nuclear Artillery, a la real world, has to deploy, but fires small nuclear shells.
  5. Ringworm

Ringworm Active Member

A spider unit that can attach itself magnetically to enemy units (assuming it gets close enough), and either self-destructs, or "eats" the enemy unit by reclaiming it. The unit being attacked in such a way cannot defend itself by firing on the spider, but it's allies can, therefore also inflicting damage on the afflicted target unit.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  6. dabullet

dabullet New Member

Some unit ideas:

Transformer: Mobile bot able to transform itself into a turret, increasing damage but vulnerable to long range weaponry.
    Jetpackbots: Fast moving bots equipped with jetpacks, usefull for crossing cracks and canyons. Low firepower
    Mobile radar platform: Provides radar coverage in a small area around the unit.
    Missile launcher: Long range mobile missile launcher, comparable to a low damage catapult
    Flame tank: Close combat tank equipped with metal melting flame-throwers, effective versus blobs of units and buildings
    Chiller: Air plane equipped with nitrogen bombs capable of freezing units, reducing their move/attack speed

Btw, I'd also like to see some real asteroids in the game, instead of only small moons... Does anyone know if these might be coming?
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

What about "mine units"?

That's not what I would call them, just wanted to get people's attention. What about units, you deploy and they bury themselves, and when enemies come so close to them they pop up out the dirt along with any units close to them and any units close to any other unit that pops up, then they assist the first one that was attacked and attack it's target.

So basically, an ambush unit that jumps the unit that triggers them and gathers up against them in a swarm. This would also add "diversity" to the bot lineup along with the Recluse. You could call it the Trojan, or something better.
    Nayzablade and Ringworm like this.
  8. Ringworm

Ringworm Active Member

Would it be horse-shaped?
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Actually, I made a rough draft of a model for the unit.

[​IMG]
    plannihilator likes this.
  10. lackoffaith

lackoffaith New Member

I would like to thrown in FunkOff's idea of a land-based torpedo launcher. (maybe a tactical missile that deploys a large number of torpedo?)

Also I would like to see both a hover tank and an amphibious tank that travels underwater for surprise beach assault.

Also an orbital deployed, mid-power boat; can be dropped on land as a makeshift kinetic weapon
  11. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

That's called a regular bomb. It turns hit points into wreckage. :D

Mines are special because they are a defensive tool that has to be used in anticipation of the enemy. They are very difficult to use in a proactive way. Because of that, they require a different mindset to use successfuly. That's all well and good for a RTS game.
    I make the assumption that this conversation has been done before. Mines are not a bad idea, but it is difficult to make one that is consistently useful. A mining option should not be made irrelevant by a single detector or any number of tanks with guns, and I'm sorry if you have trouble following that. It really is a tricky thing to do well.

The anti air option can work very well, because even if you can see the mine it's no less of a hazard to deal with. Interceptors have to get up close to do anything, bombers can't do squat, and ground forces have to run straight into your defenses to clear them out. It would be a very difficult thing to deal with, making it a very successful defense.
    Badtoasters likes this.
  12. icedomain

icedomain New Member

Some mobile multi-platform aircraft repair unit. In TA we had land, sea, and air units that were mobile and have air units dock with it for repair. I'd build a couple, assign them guard units of the same type (air/land/sea) and then put them on patrol routes away from the front line, but still near my own flight paths so the planes could repair as needed. Was quite nice, and prevented the need to fly all the way back to my base for repair - usually a death sentence since there were even more enemy forces in-between the first battlefield and my base.
    iron420 and LavaSnake like this.
  13. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

That would be quite helpful.
    zorro125 likes this.
  14. dalante

dalante Member

Orbital weapons platforms beyond the killsat and fighter.
    I'm talking Boats in Space.
    Space-Tanks
    Space-To-Air
    Air-To-Space
    Space-To-Ground arty/missile boats
    Space-To-Space
    Transports capable of carrying more than just one unit

Useful for planetary invasions beyond just sending in waves of satellites and having to build your invasion force on-planet, and if they function in-orbit only then you don't get the homeworld battles you were worried about making.

Stuff like this, from the fanart thread
    [​IMG]
    bradaz85, archcommander and LavaSnake like this.
  15. dala1984

dala1984 Member

WARNING use with caution due to extreme potency!!!

The BUG, Bugger, AI Swarm Bot:
    A small fast moving spider like bug that assimilates every unit and structure it comes in contact with,
    using the metal and energy it collects to reproduce extreme numbers of it self.
    Like a wave they sweep the land.

Can only be construct by the commander.

Comes on-line with in 30 sec so be sure you are not on the planet when this happens.o_O

I see this thing as a parting gift. Build in your on base it starts to consume your base copying itself,
    moving to the closest unit or structure.

It should be weak easy to destroy in few numbers but annoying if left to consume a big base and if it wins control of the plant it should become self aware.

Thus creating and AI COMMANDER. :D
    Nayzablade and LavaSnake like this.
  16. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

Decoy buildings, very little resource to build has no real purpose but to act as a target for opposing players

Bombers that drop sea mines

Mini subs for underwater scouting without being detected

Missile launcher like a V2 rocket. Unit rolls up deploys aims missile takes time to shoot and missile can be intercepted by air does damage to target and small surrounding area very weak armour

One for Lava planets unit rolls up next to lava collects it rolls into enemy units/base gets destroyed explodes lava other them so a suicide bomber unit
  17. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

The bacon unit. If you have it when your commander dies it will throw bacon at your commander in a team game and resurrect him Can only build one per game per side
  18. lafncow

lafncow Active Member

MIRV launching artillery/tanks!
  19. icedomain

icedomain New Member

Was looking through the fan art forum and found a post with a concept model (#post-719426) for what looks like a Fido, but it closes its legs into a brick to for firing.

Me, I'm think a mobile cannon platform would be pretty cool, so maybe this is a slow-walking dual-Bertha cannon that can be mobile, but has to settle before firing and then unsettle before moving again increasing the mobility cost and possibly energy cost.
  20. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

zweistein000 likes this.