For Backers Only: AI building stuff

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Sorian, July 19, 2013.

1. britlion

britlion New Member

Aha. Glad to see that. Apart from the client crashing pretty much all the time - getting into the beta to find single player was disabled was rather disappointing. I have no interest in playing against human players. They don't like me pausing and going to bed :)

(And I've never liked the idea that my success is someone else's aw crap. Or, far more likely, vice versa.)
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Be patient, when the game is released you'll have single player. Right now, the focus is on making sure the technical stuff works.
  3. rhart317

rhart317 New Member

Just so you know, if you host a game, and then click ready. you are likely to play against the AI and not other humans. I find I prefer this because I barely get the game going before the other person gets disconnected or quits or something because they just get "annihilated"
  4. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

I was able to set up a me vs AI match in the live build over the weekend. Create a game, click ready, wait for game to launch.

Granted, I am not trying to play on huge planets, so maybe that is the problem?
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Sometimes the lobby takes a lot of time to get the hint and start with the AI is all.
  6. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

It isn't the lobby, it is waiting for the server to start. If you have a large system or large planets, that process takes a while.
    zaphodx and igncom1 like this.
  7. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

I've noticed that when you just have a single large planet, the performance goes to complete crap, between 1-5FPS for me, but when I have the radius set to between 300-600 it runs at 60FPS no problem no idea why just having a slightly bigger planet absolutely TANKS the frame-rate, hence why it could actually be the cause to some of these crashes for other people...
    Last edited: September 30, 2013
  8. rhart317

rhart317 New Member

Yeah, I've been able to run several stable games with 3-5 planets in the 200-500 range. Only issue was when the UI crashes and I have to restart the client and when i come back about 90% of my units and assets are missing.
  9. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

500m radius = 3,141,590 sqm surface area
    800m radius = 8,042,470.4 sqm surface area
    1000m radius = 12,566,360 sqm surface area (or, 4 times that of a 500 radius planet)

(pretty sure I got that math right)
  10. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

so is there still a lot of optimization that can be done? or when you reach to those size of planets, its just down to not having powerful enough hardware?
  11. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Still lots of optimization to be done in the planet building stuff.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  12. DarkMater

DarkMater New Member

I just want the AI to start producing land units. :)
    RcCypher and LavaSnake like this.
  13. sinhosie

sinhosie New Member

Sorian,

If you need any help testing your AI on any new build before its release feel free to let me know as I am not into PVP and I am more into playing against the AI... I also like to play on planets that are 2000 in radius and I can test in any scenario if you have a test case that you want me to follow I can do that too...

-sinhosie
    LavaSnake likes this.
  14. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

@sorian

I'd be happy to help with AI testing too. I've played many games against it from late alpha forward and I'd love to see it start making more types of units.
  15. mrkroket

mrkroket Member

Talking about AI. There would be any way of having AI matches?
    I mean, sorian AI vs custom AI.
    nobrains likes this.
  16. sinhosie

sinhosie New Member

Try doing a group game add AI and your self... Move commander to another location and kill your self...
  17. greendiamond

greendiamond Active Member

is there any possible way to create a game where there are no ai's or the ai's do nothing like before. i really liked having the ability to experiment with builds without being rudely interrupted by bombing runs
    LavaSnake likes this.
  18. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

A sandboxish mode would be quite nice....
  19. ViolentMind

ViolentMind Active Member

The AI is really easy right now though. Just produce a bunch of fighters and set them to patrol around the AIs' base. Then queue a few hundred more up from a few Air Factories set to patrol the same route out of the gate. Then he won't bother you for the rest of the game. An alternative would be to set them to circle your base to defend. Either way that gives you time to do whatever you like, then when you are ready, move in for the kill!
  20. angelmolina

angelmolina New Member

I just got my hands on build 54631 now and the AI has bots. I guess we have you to thank for that Sorian! :D
    LavaSnake likes this.