A Build a Day Keeps Uber at Bay

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by archcommander, October 2, 2013.

1. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

You guys are getting enough sleep with all this coding, erm right? Seriously you should have a definite cut of time in your office and forget the build a day thing. You can do more work with a clear head than you can coding all night. Just a thought based on Jon's words in the last live stream. Disregard if you want...
    syox likes this.
  2. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

I second this, i know there are deadlines and expectations to live up too,
    BUT,
    I'd rather have a "late release" of a quality game and a healthy clearheaded team working on the game!!!

I don't want them push out a POLISHED TURD for release due to peoples high expectations and setting unrealistic deadlines :)

No matter how much you shine a turd its still a turd, you can even gold coat it, its still a turd at the center.
    PLEASE don't let this be the case here.

I watched 5 years of spore development video's and went rushing to buy the game when it came out only to find that, Will Wright had deadlines and was already past his release so he rushed the game out in the end dropping features that many people had seen in the development videos and wanted in the end game.
    in the end in my opinion as great as spore is tech wise the game was a POLISHED TURD :p
    zweistein000 and pheagey like this.
  3. maxpowerz

Maybe someone should have offered Will Wright one of these.. lol

http://www.turdtwister.com/

Maybe then he could have shaped spore in to a much better game .. lmfao

Would also like to add i have a lot of respect for will wright, he is a genuis and spore is an epic game!!!
    But showing people one thing and then giving them something else at release time is not a good idea!!. its almost like false advertising
    Last edited: October 2, 2013
  4. ViolentMind

ViolentMind Active Member

Maybe I'm just simple, but as far as I'm concerned, this game has been released. It's now priced the same as every other so called "finished" title out there (and we all know those release with tons of bugs and require more work to really complete). Most of the core functionality of PA has been implemented at this point. The primary focus going forward will be bug fixing, optimizations, improvements, and a bunch of (in contrast to what's been published so far) minor additions. Uber has committed itself to continue working on this game long after it's official release date. So, for all practical purposes, even after December (if they make that date), it will still effectively be a work in progress. Be honest, besides bringing more people into the game, will anything else really change about the way you view this game after its official release date? Personally I'm enjoying the hell out of it right now, and I much prefer this environment where updates can be released daily as they roll out. I don't need that to stay interested, but it does make it a little more exciting seeing things improve on a daily basis. Makes it feel to me like we're all right there at the Uber office watching them work, and feeling their passion to improve this game! Plus with smaller daily updates, fewer bugs are introduced, and we never have to wonder what they are working on.

Plus, they have a much larger team now. So that means they can work in shifts! ;)
    Last edited: October 3, 2013
    maxpowerz and LavaSnake like this.
  5. maxpowerz

@ViolentMind, i agree with you.

I just don't want the uberteam to overwork themselves or over sell what might be in game only to drop it in the end.
    I have seen it happen with many other titles by other developers over many years.

One thing does put my mind at ease tho, jon is making this game engine moddable, so in the end to me no in game content could be supplied with the game and it would still be great!!
    To just have this kind of tech to make my own RTS game it's AMAZING , sure as hell beats SpringTest.
    So already in my eyes this surpasses "Polished Turd" an is up there with HOLY CRAP THIS IS AMAZING!!!

I myself personally will be working my butt off to add extra stuff to game when its released.
  6. ViolentMind

ViolentMind Active Member

Yeah, the modders have already impressed the hell out of me with not only what they have done so far, but how quickly they came up with that stuff, and with what seems like not much to work with. I agree, they will keep this game fresh and great for years to come!

Plus, don't worry about Uber dropping this thing. That only happens to games when publishers are involved! :)
  7. RainbowDashPwny

RainbowDashPwny Active Member

“A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.” - Shigeru Miyamoto
    lokiCML, Grimseff, maxpowerz and 2 others like this.
  8. angelmolina

angelmolina New Member

Look Uber devs, it's very important to remember that no matter what, according to Star Trek, STDs do not transfer across species...

But seriously, I personally wouldn't mind waiting.
    maxpowerz and archcommander like this.
  9. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

It's not the quality of the end game that's my concern. The speed at which they have done this with a limited budget (including post kickstarter) compared to what other companies invest is mind bending. Programmers in particular work too late too often. Chill and have a few early nights... that's kind of my point. Lol.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  10. maxpowerz

I too am totally blown away with what's been achieved in a year's work by just a few people.

Will Wright had, Maxis, EA, and a heap of Disney Pixar artist's to help back him and he took over 5 years to make spore.

One big question i would like to know!

Was Jon inspired by the way spore generates planets? (deforming a sphere then using CSG to shape and add features to the sphere, then adding an alpha masked layer of color behind the planet to make it look like a glow around the planet with some radial blurring and diffusion to make it fade off around the outer edge),,,
    Or did Jon buy some of that tech off of Will and then rewrite it to suit PA's purposes?
    Or was it one of those rare moments of clarity one night while sitting on the throne?
    Last edited: October 3, 2013
    archcommander and Grimseff like this.
  11. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

They're passionate game developers, this is what they do. I'm sure they are all experienced and self-aware enough to know when they need to take a break and re-charge.

It truly is astounding how much Uber have achieved in a year with this game.
  12. punkroadkill

punkroadkill New Member

Sim City? what happens when you release a game to set deadline without actually thinking about it lol
    archcommander likes this.