Good Fps - Bad Fps its the editor!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by blockbuste, October 1, 2013.

1. blockbuste

blockbuste New Member

Hey,

as i wrote in another Thread it made a huge difference for me to use the Pa launcher and not steam to install and play the game.

Another geat difference for me makes the surface of the planets and Biome Scale and Heigh range settings in the editor.

For example:

I can play a solar system with 8 (i think more is possible) planets, 7 moons (radius 200 each) and an earth (radius up to 100 - didnt tried it higher) with 40 - 80 fps, 130 if i zoom out completly. All i have to do is setting Biome Scale and High range to 0 on the moons in addition the earth must have less water, less grey hills and no cracks! (look at the picture)

If there is one planet with hills or cracks etc. i only get 30 fps.

I made some pictures so you can better understand what i mean! Just wanted to share this for people with bad performance!

I have an I7 2.87 Ghz 4cores
    8 Gb ram
    Nvidia Gtx580
    Game runs ion SSD
    For closer look download Dxdiag!

Taskmanager says game uses 40 % Ram!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      931.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      356.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      647.1 KB
      Views:
    • DxDiag.txt
      File size:
      61.1 KB
      Views:
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Interesting find, need to test it myself.
    Please can you use CTRL+P next time, so more details about FPS will be visible on screenshots?
  3. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Oh would you look at that, Boolean Operations generate hundreds of extra polygons. And hundreds of extra polygons damage performance.

I thought I predicted this happening earlier Q_Q
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I doubt hungreds might affect performance while even simple planet it's 1 million poly.
  5. blockbuste

blockbuste New Member

As you can see i made the shots in the editor so they are not very informativ. But i can make ingame shots tmorrow!

I tested it for an our but i think there are more adjustments that affect the fps but Iam happy i found some solar system i can Play on.
  6. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

Agreed - mountains absolutely kill performance. But I haven't noticed a difference with the water.
  7. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

SXX, I mean hundreds of extra polygons for each Boolean operation. Each planet has 100-1000 Boolean operations done to it depending on its size; some of those stack on one another, which creates exponentially more excess polygons.

Edit: If you don't believe me, look at a Moutain planet or a Metal planet vs. a Moon.
  8. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

blockbuste, you can use CTRL+P in the system editor or anywhere else in the client. ;)

Attached Files:

• PA1.PNG
      PA1.PNG
      File size:
      409.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: October 2, 2013
  9. 6animalmother9

6animalmother9 Member

Unless what he was implying that if you multiply 1 poly a factor of 100.