For Backers Only: Megabot Experiment

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, March 14, 2013.

1. vipez

vipez Member

^This^

When should it be buildable? Before orbital - while - after - ???

How should it be build? Fabric - MegaUnit Fabber - ???

What weapons should it has? LaZorz - Rockets - pew pew - ???

What weaknesses? Air? - AA Turrets? - ???

How much HP? Less than a Comm. - More than a comm (surviving atleast 1 Nuke) - ???
  2. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

I hope I can provide some positive input...
    I think it should be a post orbital unit (late game) after T2 maybe built in a special high up factory?

One of the things is I would love this if it can be balanced. Much like nukes.

:D
  3. permaflame

permaflame New Member

You know what i would love? If it was built in an orbital factory and 'drops' down onto the planet below.
    iron420, lapantouflemagic and Eyebe like this.
  4. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

Interesting idea.
  5. banaman

banaman Member

just a random idea...
    instead of just having asteroids to smash into other planets...
    why not have them BE the super units? and smashing them into planets is just 1 thing you can do with them.

what I mean by this is:
    instead of having an asteroid smash into a planet (instant world shattering damage)
    the asteroid can instead choose to enter orbit of a planet, initiating a sort of 'planet vs asteroid' warfare.
    umbrellas, nukes, laser sats and space fighters are able to target each other due to close proximity. (less damage, more risky due to possibility of return fire, but can be done on multiple worlds)

as for the OP, that looks like a good range for something in between super unit size and regular... like a halfway point. when I think of super unit + PA, I think of something so big, that space fighters are going to be able to attack due to being so big.

as for functionality, there's lots of things you could do:
    super unit could be made to be a mobile umbrella or anti nuke launcher. it could have a prebuilt base design on it's back, and instead of being combat, it simply 'deploys' instantly making a small forward base of 1-2 factory's, an assortment of defenses and a few energy generators. or a giant 1 time use bomb (like a built in nuke that's on ground instead) or any number of other things.
  6. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

I don`t really mind what the megabots look like, or how big they end up being. But I would definitely love to see them in PA!
    iron420 likes this.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

This has been talked about as a possibility since the Kickstarter.

Mike
    archcommander likes this.
  8. celestialshockwave

celestialshockwave New Member

I think that is a good size super unit. I wouldn't complain if it was 20% or so bigger but I'd take that over no super unit types at all any day of the week.
    iron420 likes this.
  9. voidmirage9

voidmirage9 New Member

Looks like its just the right size, I wouldn't change it.
  10. deathcoy

deathcoy New Member

Yea balls!!!! Would love this idea. Kinda like Warhammer 40k Chaos Rising, where one of the commander global specials is landing a Venerable Dreadnought via a drop port from orbit. The AOE knock down/dmg from the landing and the presence of a Venerable unit that boosts surrounding units stats plus the firepower of the Dreadnought made it an extremely strategic global skill.
  11. fergie

fergie Member

Its pretty good size, wouldn't go bigger.....bigger isn't better, with advanced weapons like in a game like this, a bigger slower target is bad, and a bit unrealistic without shields, hate just having 100x the HP on something cuz its bigger than a tank.....
  12. punkroadkill

punkroadkill New Member

DO IT! DO IT NOW!
  13. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Yeah that size seems perfect. Its big but not to big, and its still big enough to seem quite scary.

You know a unit a huge when it makes commander even look like a peanut.

Wish you could build like 1 keep things interesting.then have say 3 different megabots, you would have to choose which one you would have on the field.

Could have like 1 megabot for land, 1 for air, 1 for water.

Definitely think there is much potential to gain from this compared to the time of making these.

Could even use them as other people have said as an exo skeleton for you commander. so that lategame, it because just a bit harder to kill him. The downside if of course that when he is constructed into a exoskeleton like megabot he cannot be air lifted off the planet. so you will have to remove that from him, which of course takes time.

It really adds some interesting pro's and con's
    Last edited: October 4, 2013
  14. sinhosie

sinhosie New Member

Cant wait for these to be added :)... Keep up the great work and please please please make the units look kick a.s.s...
  15. AfailingHORSE

AfailingHORSE Member

I guess if its worth doing, its worth over doing.
  16. permaflame

permaflame New Member

How about the unit is confined to the planet you build it on?

This could be because its too big to be picked up by the lander and it could be immune to teleportation as its too complex to be disassembled and then reassembled.

I do like the idea of having 3 different types though.
  17. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

So basically asteroid drive by shootings?
    archcommander likes this.
  18. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

YES YES YES YES
  19. fergie

fergie Member

I really hope there is an update on this in the livestream!!!! I want MEGABOT!
  20. camycamera

camycamera Member