Idea(s) for new planet biome(s)! (pic)

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by commodorenarwhal, October 1, 2013.

1. commodorenarwhal

commodorenarwhal Member

Hey all

I recently had a few ideas concerning planets and how different and varied they might one day look. What kept coming back to me where some of the tile sets seen in Total Annihilation, particularly those added by The Core Contingency.

Some of these were truly fantastic, and I would really love to one day see them re-incarnated as full planets. My 3 faves were:

The Acid Plains
    abandoned city maps
    and the purple crystal-type tile-set.

I feel this last one in particular could look amazing, I would try and describe it, but as they say: "A picture paints a thousand words!"

So to try and capture it's potential I created a little something on GIMP. I'm no professional artist though...

Now go easy on me, I have tried to mimic the concepts created by Uber for the original planet biomes (here) , but hopefully you get the idea:

-- Crystal.png --

As I said, please go easy :)

I hope this image inspires you to imagine what other weird and wonderful planets we could be playing on in future.

A word on game-play (as I imagine it) for this planet:
    The land is formed from crystal plateaus, which vary in height, but are separated by cliffs, never hills. as such larger plateaus make good spots for building bases which benefit from natural protection against ground attacks - the drawback being you would have to use transports or aircraft fabbers to get them there. Naval development and combat would feature heavily on these planets.
    They might even be ravaged by occasional strong electrical storms, as a result of the unstable nature of the crystals poking out of the ground (someone could pad this out with some extra lore :))

What do you all think?

Cheers.

C.N. (aka L.K.)
    fergie, LordQ, RMJ and 15 others like this.
  2. commodorenarwhal

commodorenarwhal Member

(Saving this space in case I add another concept later :))
  3. cabinboymackrel

cabinboymackrel New Member

That looks well cool... :)
  4. jamesbjoseph

jamesbjoseph New Member

That looks fantastic! You're a great artist. Definitely nailed the style Uber used in their early concept art.

I'd really like to see some shader systems allowing coloring of planets come into play in the future...I think Mavor might have mentioned something about that in the last live stream? It would just be fun to create Mars analogs and other unusually colored planets. Coloring gas giants will/would be fun.

Also, your concept art reminds me of Eve from Kerbal Space Program.
    fergie and LavaSnake like this.
  5. corteks

corteks Active Member

+1 for your concept there, looks and sounds very cool!
  6. Devak

Devak Post Master General

To preserve the good old backer-forum feeling:

IT NEEDS MORE SWIRLY!

(looks good, and yes im joking)
  7. mrcthulhu

mrcthulhu Member

Nice artwork, and I'd definitely like to see a plateau-style map, but I think add some other variations on the colour, for the poles and equator where the planet is generally warmer/colder.
  8. sirstompsalot

sirstompsalot Member

Damn son.

That's really impressive. I like it.
  9. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

TIBERIUM
    Make the crystal glow and slowly take over the planet. (or do it for the purple crystals)

Magnetic/Ice Storms
    No fly zone

Partial Metal planet
    Make a large part of the planet like that of a metal planet.
    Last edited: October 2, 2013
    bradaz85 likes this.
  10. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

Nice artwork, I hope for crystal planet.
  11. comham

comham Active Member

That's really good! Imagine how it would look with a simple crystal diffraction effect as the day/night cycle progresses.

Do the acid world from TA next please :D
  12. commodorenarwhal

commodorenarwhal Member

...I like requests ;) Allright, I'll give Acid a go at some point.
  13. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

here's a thread that might interest you

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/alien-and-utopian-colored-biomes.52147/

I'd like to help you with your concept biome,
    The 2 biomes/custom planets im working on are "Alien and Utopian" one is green the other purple.
    I like the look of the purple rocks in your concept and i could easily do it by recoloring the desert brushes texture purple this would make purple rocks like in your art!! :) :)

Also..
    As far as i know Uber aren't looking to add anymore content "planet wise" just yet.
    If my information is correct that will be left for Modders and 3rd party developers after game release.
  14. maxpowerz

Also , if jon does put in the ability to color shift the textures of brushes, planets, and the atmosphere, from in game via a slider or something, then this planet concept could be achieved by just setting the desert planet to purple, this concept is similar to the desert planet biome only purple instead of brown.

if jon does implement that idea, the color combo's of land and atmosphere will be much closer to that of what was attained in the game Spore, which has 100's and 1000's of planet coloring combo's.

honestly i think jon WILL do it, the tech he's using is capable of doing what was achieved in spore for planet generation.
    Adding a slider so we can pick colors ourselves would be the grandest of features, its in spore why not have it in this!!! (tho its not a slider in spore, its an item one can use to recolor planet features when they have reached the space sim part of the game)
  15. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

That does look awesome. I think the abandoned city idea has a lot of potential too.
  16. Tankh

Tankh Member

Very nice art, and I like the idea of plateaus as the only land available. There might be some upcoming new units that could traverse them in a way that makes them very valuable for a map like this. Like Reapers in StarCraft II.
    commodorenarwhal and LavaSnake like this.
  17. thepyro13

thepyro13 Member

Honestly, the purple hurts my eyes, the thought of trying to organise a base on that backdrop is scary. However I like the concept and gameplay design.

My only recommendation would be to mute the colours a little.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  18. Tankh

Tankh Member

Reminds me of the map "Gods of War" in TA
    [​IMG]
    xanoxis, maxpowerz and LavaSnake like this.
  19. maxpowerz

i have almost made the "Gods of War" planet for PA in my current "Planet MOD" im working on.
    My purple colored planet template "Utopia" i have been working on has almost all of the features an layout style of the "Gods of War" map.

I will add a screenshot soon :) just finishing some things.

Link to my MOD thread, "please tell me what you think!" It's still a Work in Progress
    I will hopefully be updating the thread Daily to keep up with build changes to if needed :)
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/alien-and-utopian-colored-biomes.52147/

"Also my mod only works in the system editor so far :( you can make the planets and preveiw them but you can't play them in matches at the moment!"
  20. logon

logon Member

Imo they should go and do every type of biome that exists in our solarsystem from moons to planets and then after that add more.