Unknown SSL protocol error

Discussion in 'Support!' started by ZigCat, September 28, 2013.

1. ZigCat

ZigCat New Member

hi
    i wanted to see what changes the beta was bringing since the last time i played PA, so i booted up the game, accepted the terms and was greeted with the following message:
    Error connecting to UberNet: Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to ubernet.com:443
    [​IMG]
    after clicking the [OK] button, the game closes.

i checkt my firewall, my adblocker and my proxy, but nothing changed whether they were active or not.
    i also tried checking the integrity of the game files as well as uninstalling and redownloading the game.

is there anything i can do to get the beta running?
    i would greatly appreciate any help! =)
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Few questions:
    1. Do you have any antivirus or firewall software installed?
    2. Do you have anything especial in your network configuration? E.g proxy server, VPN or something like that?
  3. ZigCat

ZigCat New Member

1. yes, i have. looked into the config and doesn't seem to block anything.
    when i disabled the firewall completely, i still got the same error.

2. yes, i do. but the same as above. i looked into those and tried disabling them.

it's just, that this is the first time i have any problems launching the game. i paused for quite some time, but in the alpha everything was working fine. (besides the bugs and stuff, of course =) )

what could i try next?
  4. ZigCat

ZigCat New Member

new update, still the same problem. =(
  5. occusoj

occusoj Active Member

Some general ideas:
    Is your computers clock way off?
    Can you get wireshark and use it to take a look at the handshake?
    Do other applications using SSL work?
    Is uberent.com resolved to 50.18.191.90 for you?
  6. SXX

SXX Post Master General

7. ZigCat

ZigCat New Member

thank you very much for your input. =)
    going down your ideas one by one.
    -my clock is set perfectly. except if for some reason we aren't in the year 2013 and i was living a lie all those years. =)

-i never used wireshark, but i looked into it. i THINK i got it right, but all i can do i interpret the infos that tool throws out by what i know.
    this is what it says: [​IMG]
    looks okay to me . . . i guess.
    i cropped the window to show only the communication with the uberent.com server.

-i THINK my ssl is working. online-banking as well as my web-mail sites work without problems.

-i can ping uberent.com and get the right ip-address.

still no change in the behavior of the game though. =/

@SXX
    you are right. i am using the eset scanner.
    i trying to find a way to rip a coordinated hole in the wall right now. =)

let's see how that turns out, since completely disableing the firewall from the context menu doesn't seem to change anything.
    Last edited: October 1, 2013
  8. occusoj

occusoj Active Member

Im sorry to say, but thats not ok.
    Thers the client hello but then, seconds of nothing and another client hello after some time instead of a Server Hello, Certificate and key exchange.
    But that means nothing as there are packets missing, the numbers should be continous. Did you set up any capture filter or something like that?
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Try to remove it's completely for test, you can always install it again.
  10. ZigCat

ZigCat New Member

can you give me a quick guide how to propperly use wireshark?
    the interupted numbers could be because i sorted by ip-address and the game wasn't the only process creating traffic.

as much as that would help, but i'm really not comfortable with completely removing the whole security suite from my computer.
    the beta isn't THAT important to me, even if it is the single game i payed most for in my whole life, and i bought the Crysis 2 Nano Edition...

besides, i contacted the ESET customer service for help.
    mybe they have some helpful ideas. =)
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I can only give you some ideas which might help you. If you don't want to try... then probably you'll never get why it's not working.

Remove/install program it's not that hard. ;)
  12. occusoj

occusoj Active Member

Of course.
    Just start the capture before launching PA as you did and sort the packets by their number, which is wiresharks default.
    Then, in the field where it says "Filters:" enter
    ip.host == 50.18.191.90

This will only display the communication with this ip (=uberent.com).

Besides that, I second what SXX recommends. Remove ESET, completely. Your not getting infected by everything bad around the internet during the 5 minutes you launch PA or write a post in this forum.
    Unless the government is after you or after data you posses, I wouldnt be concerned. And if so, ESET most definately wont help you ;).
  13. ubermaugustine

ubermaugustine Uber Alumni

ESET Antivirus has caused connection problems for many of our users in the past, presumably because of the way in which it attempts to intercept SSL traffic. Perhaps you could try disabling "SSL protocol checking" in the ESET options: http://kb.eset-la.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN3076.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  14. ZigCat

ZigCat New Member

perfect.
    disabled SSL certificate verification all together and now it works! =)

i guess i'll try to tweak it a little, so i can have at least a little bit of addet SSL security.

thank you very much! =)

and about uninstalling my security suite: it's less about the lack of security for the duration but more about getting all the settings back to what they are now.