Start a game with AIs?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Venturai, September 29, 2013.

1. Venturai

Venturai New Member

Just picked up the game on Steam; figured that, now it's in beta, it should be quite nicely playable.

Only, how do you play with AIs? I'm seeing plenty of updates that list AI improvements, but there doesn't seem to be any way to add them to the game.

Just curious is all. Maybe I'm missing something.
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

You just need to create custom game and run it before anyone join, free slots will be turned into AI.
  3. Venturai

Venturai New Member

Thanks mate, I'll give that a go. Pretty weird way of doing it, to be honest, but I'll see if it works.
  4. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Just fwi: The AI only builds air units at the moment.

Also, we will eventually get a better way to set up games with the AI and probably also able to choose various AI personalities. Remember, its still very much a work in progress. :)
  5. ZeroSixTeen

ZeroSixTeen New Member

I'm having issues with this. I create custom game, I select a slot and I press ready. Then it says "The game will start when all players have selected and click ready" untill someone joins. it does not put in an AI it waits for other players.
  6. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Try to create new game again, there is some problems with it.
    ZeroSixTeen likes this.
  7. Venturai

Venturai New Member

I had this message, too. It sat there for a while, maybe a minute, and then the game just proceeded to load with myself against the one AI. It's strange, but yeah, it works. I was kinda worried that someone would join my game in the meantime, to be honest, because I don't really want to play with other people; and especially not when I'm just trying to figure the game out.

I'm impressed, though, to be honest. I love how it's obvious you're playing on a planet, and not just a map in the middle of nowhere like in Supreme Commander. The lighting and shadow effects are just awesome; I was on a death star planet, and I was doing some base building, and then I saw the sun shifting in the orbit behind. Very wicked. Also like how the music kicked in when the action happened, too; very cool.

Not quite sure if it'll be ready in December, or whenever it was meant to, but it's certainly coming along very nicely :)
  8. Devak

Devak Post Master General

It'll be playable and feature-complete, but Uber plans to keep working on it for a while.
  9. Venturai

Venturai New Member

Sounds good. They seem to be a pretty good developer; count me in already for whatever your next project may be, guys.
  10. FireDrakeX

FireDrakeX Member

You just have to give it time. For me, the game will start about 10 seconds after I hit ready when I queue up for a 1v1 vs. AI.
  11. Devak

Devak Post Master General

It strongly depends on the size of the system. It seems that beyond 4 planets, you hit a significant decrease in performance.

If anyone else is having such problems: reduce your system size and complexity to maybe 2 or 3 planets and it'll load a LOT faster.
  12. ZeroSixTeen

ZeroSixTeen New Member

I tried with 4 planets, and it did not seem to work. I really hope they come with a small fix for this. would be soooo nice to have a button for putting in an AI. As of now I spend more time trying to get into the game than I use on actual playing. Have been using the last 30 min only trying to start with AI before someone joins.. :( and I dont like exploring the game while another player (experenced or not) is trying to kill me. But I goota agree with you, this game is very nice from what I have seen so far. It is the game I have been fantacising about since I was a kid and played Total Anhiliation for the first time. :)

Edit: Does anyone know where you post suggestions or feedback so Uber can see it? we should request that this becomes a priority.
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Be sure, Uber read most of topics on those forums. Currently we just not in "feature request" stage, so there no such topic.
  14. kingjohnvi

kingjohnvi Member

Perhaps this should be stickied for new players who are trying their hand at this game for the first time?
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Nobody. Ever. Read. Sticked. Threads. :p
  16. tenshirou

tenshirou New Member

From what I have seen, it will only initiate a game with an AI if it is a "random" system. If it is one you made, well I have yet to see a game start.
  17. hotrod92

hotrod92 New Member

Actually, it will initiate a game with an AI even if it's in a system you made. I tested it out last night, and it worked fine!
  18. Syphonius

Syphonius New Member

This.

However, it does seem to be related to the system size you create. I put one together with four planets and it took so long to load that someone else always joined before launch. Trimmed it to one planet with moons and it loaded fairly fast.