Planes without atmosphere?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by byemberlight, September 30, 2013.

1. byemberlight

byemberlight New Member

Am I the only one wondering how the aerial units work on moon-type worlds where there is no atmosphere? Seems like it would be better if air were unavailable in those environments. We don't have naval on planets with no water! And it would help vary the game up a little more...
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I would like that, but again, its all about balance.
  3. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Why would they need the atmosphere to work?
  4. igncom1

5. Tankh

Tankh Member

I agree would be pretty cool to remove air units on planets without atmosphere. If you think about it, the air layer on a moon is basically just a lower altitude orbital layer. In that case, why can't they interact?
  6. tripper

tripper Active Member

I was under the impression that they are placeholder units.
  7. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

and? a space shuttle has wings sure .. but it does proppel intself through space via jets ...
    so theoreticly every plane that has jets could travel through space..
    i could imagine that for planes similar to harriars or the F22 those have also jets to manuever around

thing is though this is not a realistic game ... semirealistic at best since it uses mechanics based on realism
    Last edited: September 30, 2013
    beer4blood likes this.
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I have no idea, but doesnt a space shuttle has wings so it can reenter into the atmosphere and land like a plane?
    That's why pure rockets dont have wings. They never come back like that.
    So if you're argumenting with "we have super high tech stuff to fly that doesnt need air", then why do you even need wings at all? Wouldnt anti-gravity driven planes be formed like ... boxes maybe? Like tanks?
    Would look ugly though xD
  9. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

the perfect shape for antigrav-non aerodynamically flying spacecraft would be a sphere ;)

wrong, as airplane jets are air breathing, while vacuum engines need to carry their oxidator
    extraammo likes this.
  10. MrTBSC

that´s the point...
    they actulay don´t need wings if they would stay in space ...

seems like we got us a perry rodan here ^^

so what if those planes WOULD carry an additional oxidator with them
    wouldn´t that work?
    Last edited: September 30, 2013
  11. extraammo

extraammo Member

I think restricting planes on atmosphere-less planets would be an interesting dynamic. This only makes sense, of course, if they act like planes to begin with. In cases of takeoff and landing, they do not act wing dependent.

Then again, kryovow makes a good point in that the engines wouldn't be space compatible.
  12. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

Well technically we are playing with robots that use advanced future technology and are able to travel planets relatively easily. You'd think they overcame the atmosphere problem :p
  13. kryovow

actually Ive been reading Perry Rhodan for a year now :D but aside from that, a sphere simply has the best volume/surface ratio which is good in space. Like penguins, they get bigger the colder the environment they live in ;)

Planes who carry oxidator would not be feasible in an atmosphere, as they would be too heavy.
  14. hanspeterschnitzel

hanspeterschnitzel Active Member

It would be an interesting mechanic to only have ground based units on the moon.
  15. kryovow

it would. And orbital of course. They said in the last livestream, that they would add more special units. One kind of special unit could be a "air layer" vehicle that doesnt need air. ^^
  16. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Technically speaking, a unit doesn't need wings to fly, and a unit with wings could still 'fly' in space, it all comes down to having enough thrust.

Mike
  17. MrTBSC

how much heavier would be liquid oxigen and hydrogen be compared to the standart fuel those planes use
    it wouldn´t be entirely impossble though, would it? or did i understand something wrong?

hence the spaceshuttle example
    but what with stuff like harriers ... could their engines be adapted to flight in space and atmosphere?
  18. igncom1

Gunships would make the most sense in a airless environment, because they don't maneuver with wings like normal planes.

Planes that can work in an airless environment would be more like rockets, and would turn like rockets do, due to having no working wings.

It would essentially be just like orbital at that point.
  19. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Not the engines themselves, but the overall idea behind harriers yes.

Considering the current state of orbital you couldn't tell them apart.....

Mike
  20. igncom1

That was bitter, but understandable.