Idea about planet smashing (Where does this thread even go?)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mrzipar, September 29, 2013.

1. mrzipar

mrzipar New Member

I don't currently have access to the game, so I don't have much knowledge about smashing planets in to each other, but is there much for deterring a planet that has already been launched?

My friend and I were just playing a game of SupCom2 and were thinking about how you can shoot down nukes, but we were wondering how you could stop a planet being launched in PA. You couldn't really shoot down planets that were coming at you because that would make it worse with fragmentation and now you just have a thousand rocks coming at you instead of a big one. One thing we did come up with was like a gravity sling shot. You could build the equivalent of a anti-nuke defense, a slingshot that you put energy in to to deflect the asteroid or swing it around and choose a new target.

This would add in a new element that the person launching it would have to expunge so much energy in to the smash. The more energy being put in to the thrusters would cost him more, add more power and damage to it, and make it more difficult to deflect.

The person on the receiving end could build gravity slingshots/deflectors/ giant baseball bat and could throw an amount of energy in to the asteroid either in the opposite direction- to lessen the impact; to deflect it to the side completely; or go all out and slingshot the asteroid/planet around their home world and sling it back at a new target.

This would be a great addition, I think, to the game. AGAIN; I HAVE NO IDEA IF THIS IS ALREADY IN THE GAME OR IN THE WORKS, I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT IS IN TO PA. Also, please tell me if this is supposed to be posted somewhere else, would love to see this idea or part of it implemented in to the final game, I think it would be a lot of fun!

Thanks for reading.

-Mr Zipar
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Deflecting it wouldn't really help, it'd just come around again, even faster than before potentially, your better off trying to commandeer it rather than deflecting it.

also it's possible that shattering a KEW will have a silver lining in that while the surface and anything exposed is destroyed, teh overall damage to the planet is more superficial and doesn't affect anything on the other side of the planet.

Maybe, still a lot of work to be done on the mechanic as a whole.

Mike
  3. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Pretty difficult to answer any of these questions yet, the whole mechanic is still very VERY basic. I think the ability to deflect a planet is unlikely to be put in, it would detract from the epicness of the sirens and looming shadow if your target had a chance just to bounce it back.
    However, as in the original trailer, and as knight said, splintering a planet/asteroid might be able to save your commander if he was on the other side of the planet. But until the game's more finished we just don't know.
  4. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

I still wonder what would happen if you blew up the engines while it was in route to blow up a planet...
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

It would likely drift off into space, assuming the system takes the constant thrust into account. At that stage even destroying a few(ie not all) engines could be enough to throw it off target, but it might be able to loop around again.

Mike
    Murcanic likes this.
  6. EternityCoder

EternityCoder New Member

It would be interesting if you could launch your own asteroid next to an asteroid heading toward you while it's in flight to throw off its orbit and make it miss its target... Another possibility might be to just smash another asteroid into it before it reaches you.
  7. thechessknight

thechessknight Member

It sounds pretty good to me and it would give you something to do with the gynormus economy one would likely have at that point in the game. On the other hand it doesn't sound like something you would build all that often. I'd be to busy building rocket engines on my own asteroid. It would probably be better to be able to send your own asteroid into one coming at you. This would fit with the saying a good offense is a good defense.