Game not responding and massive memory usage

Discussion in 'Support!' started by mackoftexas, September 28, 2013.

1. mackoftexas

mackoftexas New Member

Hello, I bought Planetary Annihilation the other day and every time I join games with other people it seems to take an extremely long time (~5-10 minutes) to get into the game. Secondly, once I am in the game, it is very laggy to the point that I am getting around one frame every 30 seconds. This stabilizes if I do not touch it as it takes an additional few minutes at the starting camera position and seems to be working normally but as soon as I attempt to zoom in or click on my Commander it begins to lag.

I have updated all my drivers and am running in Windowed Mode, I attempted to search for fixes but only came up with the Official Debug Thread on the PA Beta Board which I cannot link to due to me being a new user, this seems to be more for outright crashes rather than 'Planetary Annihilation is not responding so I have not attempted these fixes yet. All other programs are slow to respond and it takes a long time for me to alt+tab, additionally when I was able to check task manager it appeared my CPU usage was spiking to 100% and then back down to regular levels every few seconds. On Processes PA.exe was taking upwards of 2 million kilobytes of memory.

I have uploaded my dxdiag, for anyone who is interested. Thank you for your help.

Attached Files:

2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

This is totally okay for PA. This game can use lot of RAM. Also you just one of unhappy Nvidia users around here, there is nothing you can do about that except wait for new patch.
    class101 likes this.
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

One question, you are bought PA on Steam?
  4. mackoftexas

mackoftexas New Member

Yes I use NVidia and yes I bought PA on Steam. Thanks for the reply, I look forward to the next patch.
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

mackoftexas likes this.
  6. iyenrithe

iyenrithe Member

Is there something about Nvidia cards this game doesn't like? I have a GTX760 and it hasn't had any problems yet. Just wondering. But yeah this game is a ridiculous memory hog at the moment. Some random I joined had an 8 planet solar system (I didn't notice or I would have left) and it ended up using 7 gigs of RAM and 25 minutes before I managed to join. I just let it go because I was kind of curious

Sad thing is he wasn't there when I got there -_-
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Game in active development, it's mean each build remove old bugs and add new bugs, it's also might trigger different problems in drivers. 54412 just had a bit more problems with Nvidia cards as I see, probably it's already fixed in 54459
    iyenrithe likes this.
  8. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

I'd like to point out that 4GB of RAM isn't much more than $60.
  9. mackoftexas

mackoftexas New Member

Turned off Steam Overlay and my FPS was phenomenally better, only tried one game with it off but I will post more results. I cannot stress enough how much a difference it made, it went from 10 minutes of waiting with >1 fps to less than one minute start time with smooth gameplay throughout. Thank you.
    legola likes this.
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

This looks actually cool, seems like we know first problem which slow down game. :)
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  11. o

o Head Honcho Official PA

Memory usage exploded somehow in the last couple of weeks and we're working on getting it under control. We have several other performance improvements in the works as well. All coming soon.

SXX nice catch on the Steam Overlay issue. We'll talk to Valve about that.
    cwarner7264 and Methlodis like this.
  12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

May be you can ask them about Steamworks SDK for Linux x86_64 as well?

There is many Linux users stuck as account linking on Steam. Valve added support for 64-bit games to the Steam Linux Runtime more than two weeks ago:
    http://store.steampowered.com/news/11423/
    Probably they can provide 64-bit version of SDK now... :rolleyes:
  13. legola

legola New Member

Holy **** I can confirm this!

Thank you!!
  14. Nielsoneter

Nielsoneter New Member

Hey all! Yesterday I bought PA through steam and I was really looking forward to it. But I can't seem to get in a game. I can get in a lobby, choose my army and hit the ready button. But then It just keeps saying 'starting game'. So I've waited a couple of times up to 15 min. but nothing happens, the game just crashes.
    The task manager says that it's not responding and it's using all of my RAM and CPU. I've tried disabling the steam overlay but it didn't help. :(

I will upload my dxdiag and thanks for helping out.

Attached Files:

15. mackoftexas

mackoftexas New Member

Just tried another game today, had to restart my computer because of it taking so long and then turning off my monitor. The monitor was on but it just said 'No DVI Input' and went dormant. This seems to be connected with the amount of planets in the game too, I'm not sure though. I'll keep trying to play games and post my findings.
  16. deso88

deso88 Member

All I can say is that having 3 planets, 3 moons and 5 asteroids (which are all basically planets) killed the game instantly (>6 GB RAM).
    I'm guessing resolving the memory issue might be a priority for Uber right now.
  17. Roedhip

Roedhip New Member

I've been completely unable to play against other players (the closest I've got to successfully joining a player game is the time I finished loading after the game had ended), partly because of massive wait times and also because I keep disconnecting from the server in some way. The RAM being used by PA when I try to join a game is around 5GB and there is literally no more RAM for it to use on my computer. I have managed to play against bots without too many lag issues, but I hope the RAM usage gets under control in next patch.
  18. ulciscor

ulciscor Active Member

Whenever i start PA up, i get this on my task manager. It seems there is a number of these, is this meant to be?

Attached Files:

19. deso88

deso88 Member

This is normal. It's the UI system of PA, which is webkit based. It always spawns a buttload of processes.
  20. philipzzz

philipzzz New Member

Having a similar problem here, the game refuses to load and an error message pops up saying "pa.exe has stopped working" can somebody help with this? I don't think i'm using an nvidia graphics card but i'm not sure, i'm not that tech savvy.

Attached Files: