GPU makes odd noise while "earth template" planet is in view on system editor

Discussion in 'Support!' started by ironmyr, September 27, 2013.

1. ironmyr

ironmyr New Member

GPU or PSU (Not sure which) is making what I can only describe as a soft, constant, cricket-like noise only when earth template preview is in view. When slightly off the screen, the noise stops. The noise is also accompanied by a sharp drop in FPS.

GPU is an Nvidia 470 GTX

Attached Files:

2. class101

class101 New Member

Almost sure your computer is dirty, try to get your hands on a air can to clean the dust
  3. guzwaatensen

guzwaatensen Active Member

clearly there's some way for the developers to fix this...

On a more semi-serious note, if your GPU really is making audible noises there's clearly something wrong with your computer...

If it is however your hard drive that goes crazy because of al the virtual memory used, then that's perfectly normal, maybe just defragment your disk sometime...
  4. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

We've been known to melt the occasional GPU.
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Looks like current build have serious problems with Nvidia GPUs, do you have same problems in office too?
  6. rick104547

rick104547 Member

This noise can be normal on higher end gpu's. I have it too happens generally when my gpu is under heavy load (but PA is currently too light for that). If everything else just runs fine its no problem except the noise ofc. Some card have it more than others.
  7. microapple

microapple Member

Thats the sound of pain. Pure pain.
  8. ironmyr

ironmyr New Member

I understand that it's not uncommon for cards to make noise under strain, I just thought it would be relevant / interesting that it was only presenting this while rendering the preview for the earth template planet.

I'm not proposing this so much as a help me fix this, more as a please be aware that this exists if you aren't already.