Lategame units?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by shotogun, September 27, 2013.

1. shotogun

shotogun Member

I've noticed now that with the ability to blast planets to pieces mid/late game T2 units really aren't necessary. I mean You can hop on a planet and use nukes to keep the opposition from getting anywhere. I am wondering if there will be a super orbital unit or something that could take on a small army all it's own. It would take a long time but it could be powerful enough to establish a breach on another planet. I play TA a lot so this makes sense to me and with the new mechanics seems like a necessity.

Ideal characteristics

Super orbital unit health: Enough to take on a T2 army.
    Powerful enough to destroy a small army and establish an invasion.
    Can shoot down nukes but is very slow once landed to compensate.
    Cannot fly once landed because it takes a lot of energy just to take and liftoff.
  2. taihus

taihus Member

I'm not sure why this can't be replaced with just LOTS AND LOTS of normal units.
  3. onesparxy

onesparxy Member

So basically in my eyes this is what i see you wanting

A way to get around trying to establish a base on another planet without getting instantly annihilated by there huge home defense army and nukes since you can't build a counter in time.

I do think they need to do a couple of things to help it but it doesn't need changing since this is how you can help the issue

Solutions

They are bringing in pretty much drop pod units (get a drop pod i think 1 might hold 20 units which is enough to get a breach if you have 3 of them) it will be 1 big pod and it splits into smaller ones.

How to use them SCENARIO

Step.1 Land drop pods on there defended but not as defended as the home planet's moon
    Step.2 Bring in reinforcements with your other drop pods
    Step.3 Establish a base
    Step.4 Launch the drop pods onto the planet
    Step.5 It might fail but hey you have a moon base now that is adding pressure to there home planet suddenly you are being a huge pain in the *** for minimal resourced :)

Profit???
  4. shotogun

shotogun Member

Because normal units assaulting a different planet fortified with not only the entire planet covered in artillery and nukes but ion cannons is almost impossible but redundant to assault. If there is no super unit that can blast through some of the defenses then it devolves into a battle of attrition. The honest truth is if the enemy has an established base on the other planet and you cannot get an asteroid the game will never end.

I like the idea I have presented not only because it makes the game more interesting but because it adds an element of danger. Imagine taking over a planet and fortifying it to the ridiculous extreme like any good player would do. Normal T2 units and orbital will never work. It is like in TA where a player fortified their base and only a Krogoth could take down their defenses and that was with like 5 of them if the enemy was good.
  5. hanspeterschnitzel

hanspeterschnitzel Active Member

I thought of some kind of.. "jumper" unit. A unit that basically jumps from one planet's surface to another, in case they get close enough. And with jump I mean fly with one strong burst of its big thrusters.
    I had two ideas:
    Either one big unit, that takes long to build with an advanced factory or perhaps even has to be built by fabrication bots. It would be big, have a lot of health and a lot of firepower. I thought this might be a bit OP though so I though about the second solution.

A swarmer bot. It does less damage than a normal but can fire at air, moves faster and can fly into space. It's also pretty cheap. You would basically use those guys to overwhelm a planet's defence with sheer numbers or at least screen the main force of your assault. They would be the perfect unit to simply keep pressure on the enemy and they wouldn't require any special care since they can fight every threat themselves.. they are just not really good at it. The perfect cannon fodder to be fired by the unit cannon!
  6. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Some giant units would be cool, like some mobile walker that deploys smaller units, or something. I like the units from Universe at war.
  7. rawrfishes

rawrfishes New Member

As a guy whose main strategy is to have my teammate(s) make a heavily fortified base where I try to get an orbital station up so I can hide on a moon as soon as possible, I'd prefer there's no mega-unit capable of assaulting a small planet I've already fully laid claim to
  8. Xagar

Xagar Active Member

There are unit cannons, orbital nuke launchers, army-sized transporters, teleporters, etc. in the works.

Also apparently you're going to be able to nuke other planets.
    lancemich likes this.
  9. shotogun

shotogun Member

Still. How badly do you want a giant robot?
    bradaz85 likes this.
  10. b4ux1t3

b4ux1t3 New Member

You have no idea how badly. :)

Honestly, I think it would be a very. . .unique (for lack of a better word) addition to an RTS. There are things like it of course, scattered across various genres. But I think it would be a very different thing with this game. It could also be handled interestingly; it could be a super-powered commander, for instance, with the ability to not only attack and fab, but also to create units like a factory.

The possibilities are endless.
  11. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I don't see how it'd be "unique" after TA, SupCom/FA and SupCom2 already having done it, not to mention the other 'giant' robots found elsewhere like the Nod Avatar(I think?)

Mike
    lancemich likes this.
  12. shotogun

shotogun Member

Why not just make a unit called progenitor and have it be a giant super powered mech. Wouldn't be that much out of place. TA had krogoth so PA needs a giant robot.
  13. lancemich

lancemich Member

I hate the idea of that being implemented to the game, i personally think that an army composing of thousands of units attacking and being complete chaos is better than just one giant robot
  14. lancemich

lancemich Member

I hate the idea of that being implemented to the game, i personally think that an army composing of thousands of units attacking and being complete chaos is better than just one giant robot
  15. taihus

taihus Member

What role does it fulfill? In fulfilling this role, does it render any other units obsolete? Remember, we want to have a game where every single unit remains theoretically useful throughout a match.
  16. shotogun

shotogun Member

Useful in the sense it takes half a game to build and can obliterate an army of 500+ T2 units. What's wrong with endgame being a battle between giant robots and whoever is the last standing basically wins. Seems more fun then just throwing an asteroid.
  17. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

A planet wide conflict between thousands is more fun to me then having 1 unit walk around the map.
    chronoblip likes this.
  18. freehotdawgs

freehotdawgs New Member

I still think there should be an orbital death star like unit that blast giant chunks out of a big planet and destroy small moons and asteroids. It would take an insane amount of resources and if it got destroyed anyone can build engines on it and fly it into a planet.
  19. KNight

KNight Post Master General

That's supposedly the Metal Planet.

Mike
  20. freehotdawgs

freehotdawgs New Member

Will we be able to build some giant laser on it or something? Now that would be cool. Convert an asteroid/planet into a kind of giant unit by adding huge weapons to it instead of colliding it with the planet.