For Backers Only: AI building stuff

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Sorian, July 19, 2013.

1. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Build 10-15 air factories and set them to a patrol route around the ai. Then you have free reign to do whatever you want unharassed.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

To be honest?

I kept off the AI with one air factory and a bunch of turrets until my economy could handle 20 engineers insta building AA wherever I damn well pleased.
  3. crystaline109

crystaline109 Member

why are people using ground based AA defense to stop bombers??

The AI uses only bombers outside of it's core base. Bombers can only target ground. Use basic fighters on a patrol loop around your base (or the AI base if you are feeling aggressive) and you will never see a bomber in your base and never lose a fighter since bombers can't target them and the AI doesn't send air support with it's bombing raids.

I'm very much looking forwad to an AI that will send more than just fodder my way.

Sorian(or anyone else that knows): Will/does the AI have some sort of throttle on actions per minute? The TA AI always crushed me because I have a fairly low APM (i think i'm around 15APM or so). I'd love to fight against a very intelligent and adaptive AI that doesn't out micro me by an order of magnitude.
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Id rather get into the habit of building anti-raiding structures with a high vision radius, as it can be useful in the early game.
  5. DarkMater

DarkMater New Member

Any chance we will get a ground unit AI in the near future?
  6. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

7. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

8. Forgrimm

Forgrimm New Member

Really looking forward to that! :)
  9. DarkMater

DarkMater New Member

10. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Now instead of getting trounced by Bombers at minute 4, you get trounced by OP as all hell Scampers.

Sorian is some sort of programming daemon, I'm sure of it.
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

This is what happen when AI find bug tester guy (me) on 40th minute of game:
    AI_BOMBERS.jpg
  12. ViolentMind

ViolentMind Active Member

Soon you will be able to replace that pic with one that has Bots, instead of Bombers, in it! Haha
    Last edited: September 28, 2013
  13. kosmosprime

kosmosprime Member

Does that mean pathfinding now works?

Watch what happens when you stay on another planet for too long. It will create fields of bombers.
  14. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Pathfinding works better. I still don't have the one function I need to make answering the "can I path from A to B" question fast and cheap, but I have something I can work with for now.
  15. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

I am assuming that successful implementation of bot play will carry over into vehicles with very little extra effort?
    At least for first pass?
  16. Malorn

Malorn Member

I have to admit I'm curious how you'll end up handling AI interplanetary invasions. Seems like a classic problem area for AI.
  17. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

@sorian It seems as though Teams of AI regularly get caught up on each other where a Free For All this is much rarer. Is this a bug that is likely to get fixed soon? It looks as though it's some sort of pathing bug, however when it occurs it almost always causes all AIs on the team to just give up at the same time. Blowing up seemingly any AI building seems to wake them all up for a bit.

This morning I was play 1v4 AI and the AIs built a few Mex / Pgen and then all clumped together around one of the Pgens seemingly indefinitely. I blew up another Pgen and they all woke up and started building stuff. I left the game running for an hour or so and just went to lunch, when I came back they'd expanded a fair amount, to the point of running T1 bombing runnings periodically, but again seemed to have given up and were again clumped together within a sea of Pgens. Eventually out of boredom I started popping off Mex / Radar around their base border and none of them seemed to move. I decided to start hitting them directly, and killed one of them and they all woke up again.

Maybe once they can build ground units they will mount a bit more of a challenge, but for now I was hoping maybe Teams of AI would fill that void. I'm very happy you're avoiding cheating AI like the plague though :)
  18. Nasher

Nasher New Member

Does the AI randomly build structures or does it work towards some kind of goal? Like building nukes or reaching other planets etc?
  19. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Its goal is win. It achieves this by killing you.
    TerrorScout likes this.
  20. sinhosie

sinhosie New Member

Hey Sorian,

I am glad to see you are working on this project I have been a big fan of your AI mod for Supreme Commander... I really hope you make an AI that learns is very hard and challenging and it continues to evolve and grow into something beyond greatness as my friends and I love to play against the AI...

Thanks You...
    -sinhosie
    carn1x likes this.