MacBook Pro Rendering Problems

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by rmadams, September 27, 2013.

1. rmadams

rmadams New Member

I was really excited to play the beta, and was able to load everything up fine, but the textures hardly render at all on my 17" MacBook Pro (OSX 10.8.5, 2.3GHz Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6570M 1024Mb Graphics) Any suggestions? See picture below for what it looks like:

Screen Shot 2013-09-26 at 9.33.52 PM.png
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's well known problem of AMD GPUs on OS X: FS#1990
    Currently you can only try to use integrated Intel card and disable discrete one.

Devs are know about that problem, but look like it's related to AMD drivers for Mac :(
  3. LE212405

LE212405 New Member

There are a few issues while running on the Mac OS. Most of it is rendering and compiling errors. Such as longer then normal load times, planet editor runs significantly slower then the PC system. For instance, load time to launch your commander crashes 4 out of 5 times, forcing me to leave my game. Also when I use the orbital mover, I can't load any units on the loader at all. Also when I hit a large unit count, it crashes my Mac. Also in planet editor, the sun is lost and no where to be seen.

Trouble shooting already attempted:

-Uninstall and re-install all local content.
    -Switched between both graphics cards to verify if it is one or the other.
    -Killed all applications running in the back ground.
    -Ran side by side comparison to verify that there is a difference.

My system Specs:

MacBook Pro With Retina Display

Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory 16GB 1800MHz DDR3
    Graphics Onboard Intel HD graphics 4000 512GB
    Graphics Dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5
    HDD 512 Flash Memory ( This was clocking a speed of 2.3GB/s read time at time of play )
    Software Version OS X 10.8.5
    Last edited: September 27, 2013
    smg666 likes this.
  4. smg666

smg666 New Member

Same problem - very long load time (9 mins). MacBook Pro Retina - 16Gb RAM.

How can we help with diagnostic ?
  5. aeonsim

aeonsim Active Member

Please comment on the Bug report and add any system details.
  6. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

You're running into the same graphics issues as I do on mine (same Mac Book - 2011 ish model).

Steve and I are hoping to look at it today, and maybe figure out what's going on with the virtual texturing on mac ATI.
  7. aeonsim

aeonsim Active Member

Awesome! Thanks Garat, this is by far the most annoying issue for me & I guess other Mac users. Crashes are pain but to actually load in then see everything is black is rather aggravating, especially with all the much nicer looking videos the windows players have been posting!
  8. LE212405

LE212405 New Member

Its also happening with the Nvidia on the new retina's. I think its in the rendering and the compiling, pre graphics cards. Im also a little concerned what might happen in the new OS Mavericks due out soon. Hopefully they can anticipate this.
  9. IMPhill

IMPhill New Member

Phill here - reporting same issues as OP.

System specs - Screen Shot 2013-09-27 at 18.53.41.png
  10. gbnet

gbnet New Member

Same issues. Macbook Pro. Game is horribly slow and crashes all the time. Havent been able to play a single game. And I've been waiting for months for this. :(

Screen Shot 2013-09-27 at 21.12.43 .png
  11. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

Uh. oh.
    I have the same issue.
    It's not nearly as bad as yours, I would say perhaps 10% of my planet surface is blacked out?

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit with a Radeon HD6950.
    Latest drivers.
  12. drakfire666

drakfire666 New Member

13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Attach your DxDiag.txt.
  14. rubberducky73

rubberducky73 New Member

Same problem here, similar specs as Phill on my Mid 2010 iMac... Possibly a bit worse than OPs photo.
    PA.jpg
  15. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

SXX, thanks!

Attached Files:

16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

You have one video card, right?
    Also you mean there is black textures which stay black for all game or they just loading slowly for you?
  17. judicatorofgenocide

judicatorofgenocide Active Member

exact same problem here. Dont think update your drives is an answer as currently nvidia drivers will not recognize the cards without heavy work in the programing, then after that the drivers update but you cant turn the sli hybrid graphics on so the answer "update drivers" isn't gonna work for this one.

Attached Files:

18. IMPhill

IMPhill New Member

As an update to my previous post here - I've just downloaded and ran the game from my Win7 drive on this exact same machine, and it runs fine. Little lag on the terrain texture rendering when zooming in and out, but all the graphics are in place and can see all details.

REALLY Odd, seems like a OSX problem, not a driver or card issue....?
  19. enderdude

enderdude Member

Theres nothing wrong with the computer itself, its the graphics card, although it has great fps the craphics card is crap, it does this stuff on a normal occasion all we have to do is wait, i know i have the same exact thing and it does this all the time, i have seen several people with the same card and it does the same thing, we just have to wait for Uberent to find the problem and fix it.
  20. smg666

smg666 New Member

I just updated to v.54459 and the load time is normal (<1min) and the graphics rendering is fine. So, looks like they have made a fix. Well done guys.

System: MacBook Pro 2012, 2.6 GHz 16GB Mem, NVidia GT 650M 1024MB, OSX 10.8.5