Defense Massively OP

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by DoctorRobotnick, September 27, 2013.

1. DoctorRobotnick

DoctorRobotnick New Member

MASSIVELY.

Anyone else encountered this? Playing my first game with my friend, I built ~10 of the lowest level air/ground missile turret and wrecked upwards of 20 advanced bombers and 30 tanks while only losing 4 turrets.

Missile turrets need to do 1/2 or less damage or fire slower.
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Only 20 adv. bombers?

There's your problem.

What's 20, when your army should count in the hundreds?
  3. gnugfur

gnugfur New Member

Really?

I just played a battle where my defence got raped by enemy adv bombers. Though, there was about 100-150 of them and i only had 40 or so fighters left. Luckily i escaped to a neighbouring planet with my commander earlier in the game.
  4. DoctorRobotnick

*le sigh*

So 50ish units vs 10 turrets, the turrets should win? According to their cost they should go down immediately especially compared the the cost of an advanced bomber. I can't always play a game where I wait and build 1800000 units. Game should be balanced even for low unit count and level 1 defense structures.
  5. mkultr4

mkultr4 Member

I've only played a couple games but yeah turrets seem OP as a first impression, and that facilitates turtling. I'll keep playing for awhile before I start raging about it though, I'm still learning the basics.
    DoctorRobotnick likes this.
  6. gnugfur

gnugfur New Member

The essence of strategy, is choosing what not to do.

You should probably have attacked him with other units. Artillery combined with Adv Tanks maybe?
  7. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

Consider attacking from a different direction as well. Don't just run your units into turrets.
  8. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Paper is fine.
    Nerf rock.

Sincerely, Scissors.
  9. DoctorRobotnick

This is glossing over how unit balance is supposed to work at it's lowest level especially when you micromanage the attack and the direction (yes he did try to come in on the side where only one turret was).
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  10. shotogun

shotogun Member

I made a base with 200+ missile turrets and my enemy carpet bombed me with 600+ adv. Air units. I ran out of space to put anti air while he has the whole sky. Some adv missile defensive needs to be put up.
  11. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Exactly ^

Defensive buildings are powerful. Not OP. Just powerful.

They require lots of units and/or advanced units to take out.

20 units? That's a nice early game army. Try building 60+ units and then we'll talk.
  12. iyenrithe

iyenrithe Member

Defensive buildings really aren't overpowered. The are pretty easy to take out, you just don't rush a bunch of bombers into anti-air towers. Do it with tanks, or avoid them entirely. Its a spherical map afterall and they are not moving. Get him into a corner, get some tech 2 ground units up and leveler the crap out of them. 1 leveler can take out every single turret because it outranges them. Destroy his expansions with superior numbers

Or just rush with tanks, mobile units and map control win. Turrets just help you defend a little

EDIT: Also scouting is invaluable. You can even bring a bunch of engineers up and build pelters in range and bomb them to death
    Last edited: September 27, 2013
  13. Jandor

Jandor New Member

Defense has to be pretty potent, otherwise why bother with nukes, unit cannons and KEWs?
    janusbifrons likes this.
  14. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Irrelevant. Cost is not always an indicator of power.
    brianpurkiss and janusbifrons like this.
  15. ghostflux

ghostflux Active Member

People seem to forget one important thing, defenses are buildable right away, where as most means of destroying defenses is all locked behind advanced tech.
  16. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Immobile T1 turrets always beat mobile T1 units.
    It is the way of things.

Their power is offset by their immobility.

You are on a sphere. Go around the defences.
  17. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Anti air turrets are pretty much a hard counter to bombers.

So off course they would be more cost effective in a bomber vs aa turrets showdown. Your scissor will have a hard time beating his rock.
  18. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Imo there is only one big issue with defense and that is that there is no t1 answer to them. You pretty much need to go t2 to destroy any concentrated defenses (ie. anything more then a single laser tower).
  19. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Turrets are OP because they lack any hard or soft counters.

LEVELERS, HO! The final word in destroying ANYTHING (except air units) is Levelers.
  20. ghostflux

ghostflux Active Member

I'm sure you've noticed levelers don't outrange turrets now. Also levelers are advanced tech. Which means that it's no solution to the early game.