metal is dumb as rocks now

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by quazzi, September 27, 2013.

1. gnugfur

gnugfur New Member

Pledge $5,000 or more
    6 backers

We name one of the units in the game after you. We can use a variation on your real name or your nickname. We’ll work with you to come up with an appropriate usage for your name and an appropriate design for the unit. Includes all previous tiers.

Pledge $1,000 or more
    You selected
    91 backers

We create a custom unique commander just for you, that only you can play! Working with you, we'll design and conceive of the ideal commander to best represent you on the field of battle. You send us some source inspiration and we’ll make it look cool. Includes all previous tiers.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

So you have to options, leave, or realize that Game design is a long and fickle process where things change often. Neutrino has recently commented that he is thinking about maybe reworking the way metal allocation works, considering it was never worked on in-depth beyond the point that it was functional(from a code perspective) and there is plenty of work and options available to refine the system.

The old Setup had too much metal, that is the common opinion, and although it is still early(the Beta only officially started less than 12 hours ago) many like the overall result of the cahnge, but agree more tweaking is still needed.

It's still possible they could go back to the same density they had before but reduce the output of individual patches.
    Or they could tweak the system such that spawn areas tend to have higher concentrations to get things rolling faster.

Also don't forget about eh Egg Concept, that could get things rolling fast regardless(mostly) if the amount metal you have nearby.

Don't write it off so quickly, there is so much that can still happen.

That's the 5K reward.....

Mike
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  3. quazzi

quazzi Member

Lol dude I would roll you easily. I give you 20 minutes. I just prefer the metal the way it was. I beat 3 tourny players in under 20 minutes. good luck
  4. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

If your worry is about slow starts, remember that we're yet to see implementation of the Egg. And since the nature of the economy is exponential, a quicker start will mean a quicker everything else as well.

Edit: Damn, Knight beat me to the punch. xD
  5. quazzi

quazzi Member

All I'm saying is you should spawn on ATLEAST 3 metal spots. otherwise its dumb as hell. I like i challange but still.
  6. quazzi

quazzi Member

They want to see MASSIVE armies, a slow start means smaller armies. I just liked it how it was. I dont need to spawn in 15 metals. Just atleast spawn me on 3 metals. I dont need a 5 minute commander walk just to get 4 metals and an energy
    killzone5017002 likes this.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

No one is disagreeing with the core principle, just like in the alpha there is the chance you'll just get dealt a bad set of spawns, but that's to be expected because the systems aren't refined yet. Fixing it such that those edge cases don't pop up is something that'll happen gradually as the system is fixed and refined.

Technically it just means more time until you get to bigger armies.

Mike
  8. killzone5017002

killzone5017002 Active Member

I think the metal is way to rare now, though before I thought it was way to much. I think the main reason why the metal is more rare now is, getting out to fight and expand, use storage, and most importantly your eco is spread across the solar system. Think of it, if we had the metal before plus interplanetary eco thats just way to much. There definitly should be more metal but not to much you know :).
  9. adecoy95

adecoy95 Member

wow really?
    lol
  10. cybersunder

cybersunder Member

Metal now is better than it was. Expansion is harder and takes skill to defend. The issue isn't metal distribution, it's spawn placement.
    xanoxis and Murcanic like this.
  11. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Stop trolling quazzi, you're better than that. Plus who has the biggest **** doesn't win every argument.
  12. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Bragging about how 'skilled' you are only makes you look more juvenile.
    Most people (including me) agree that there were way too many metal spots before. I like the way it is now. Besides you will be able to set the amount of metal in the planet editor eventually so stop crying.
  13. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

I would be very disepointed if they returned metal to the old way.

There was way to much of it and no reason to fight over metal spots making the gameplay a stale grind fest, i didnt like it at all.

In the current version you have to fight over metal spots from the start to finish, its makes the gameplay much more intense and in my opinion better.

However, they should also make sure there are ~4 metal spots at every spawn (A script for the metal spot generation at the spawn locations perhaps, shouldent be that hard, they can even have the ~4 spots spawn around the commander after a player selects his spawn location).
    gnugfur and Murcanic like this.
  14. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Let's keep this civil please. In summary, it was generally agreed there was too much metal before, and so it has been reduced. Uber have said they are not finished with the generation method, so the placement and quantity are still very much subject to change in future.
  15. lancemich

lancemich Member

I partly agree with you, the metal is too few but it used to be too much so it shouldn't go back to the way it was but more metal should be added i think
  16. Tankh

Tankh Member

[​IMG]
  17. quazzi

quazzi Member

I just think putting 1 metal spot in random spots all around the map is just dumb. It makes of for slow starts. Also who builds a turret next to 1 metal? It makes raids super easy and defense much harder. I use to be able to get like 15 factories in 10 minutes, now its like 5. metal should not spawn with just 1 spot, atleast 3. You could easily just build 1 bomber and take our all of their expansion. I just find defending continuous 1 metal spots a little dumb. It will be so hard to judge a fair spawn in competitive play if metal is so far away. Half the time now you don't even get to choose your spawn because it takes so long to get in game. I have an i7 3.9 and 2 680's. I just don't understand the reasoning in such scarce metal. No one needs a cluster of 20 metals but no one wants random 1 clusters all over the place.
  18. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

Maybe an option to pick between clustered metal deposits and spread out deposits should be in order, then when game is being created , then the game creator can pick which type of game he wants , one with lots of metal or one with metal spread far and few
  19. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Not really. Slower growth means more time to harness the fewer units on the field. That means more chances to kill enemy stuff, lose a bunch of stuff, and so forth. It's not a simple A to B correlation.
  20. dukyduke

dukyduke Active Member

Indeed, there is less mex than in alpha.

I like both (but prefer more) as both have a different gameplay.

Do not worry about that, it will be configurable at planet generation later. So everyone will be happy.