Mac Beta doesn't render planet textures in game

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by negascout, September 26, 2013.

1. negascout

negascout New Member

I'm running the beta on an iMac with the attached graphics. I played on what I believe was a lava planet and just saw a solid brown ground. I couldn't see metal points or any other ground features. I'm going to try on Windows later today to compare.

Also the zoom mouse sensitivity was insanely high w/ my standard Apple mouse. I might be able to adjust this in the settings.

AMD Radeon HD 6770M:
    Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 512 MB
    Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
    Device ID: 0x6740
    Revision ID: 0x0000
    ROM Revision: 113-C0170F-170
    EFI Driver Version: 01.00.544
    Displays:
    iMac:
    Display Type: LCD
    Resolution: 2560 x 1440
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Built-In: Yes
    Connection Type: DisplayPort
  2. sirstompsalot

sirstompsalot Member

I'm running an AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB, and I'm having the same issue. On windows the common response is to update your drivers.

What year is your iMac?
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's known issue of AMD GPUs under OS X: FS#1990
    You can't fix, only play on Windows and wait before Uber fix/bypass the problem.
  4. mrosseel

mrosseel New Member

Same here with macbook pro 2011 late edition, AMD Radeon 6750M; bought the beta 2 days ago, a bit dissapointed I can't play it now :(
    I'll try the girlfriend's windows laptop, hope it's not too underpowered.
  5. christopherschultz

christopherschultz New Member

Same issue for me. Details:

MacBook Pro Late 2011
    Intel Core i7 4xHT (8 threads)
    8GiB RAM
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    Mac OS X 10.8.5

Can't run fullscreen: always runs in a window. I even went down to preset "low" graphics settings and it sped things up a bit, but didn't improve the visuals. The game eventually crashed -- not sure if it was graphics-related or not. The mouse was all wonky, too... middle-drag would rotate the planet about its axes as expected, and then suddenly did ... other things: translate the world along z-y without z (so, no rotation, could only see the horizon, etc.). Not sure if those issues are related.

The in-game display is unusable: planet looked completely black with odd pixels of grays, etc. in random places. After a while (2 mins?), the texture beneath my commander was painted. Could not see any metal, etc.

gfxCardStatus indicates that the discrete adapter is not being used at all -- it's still using integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000.

I'll try again after using gfxCardStatus to force discrete graphics.
  6. SXX

SXX Post Master General

If you have texture bug it's mean AMD video card is used. I don't sure if this good news or bad news. :confused:
  7. christopherschultz

Forcing the discrete GPU seems to stabalize things a bit, but I can't really see any more. It really does make sure game no fun to play :(

I also found through sheer bumbling (could have read the manual, but ... yeah, right) that CTRL-N places a green dot over every metal resource. Huzzah! Now I don't have to manually scan every part of the map, sweeping the metal-extractor ghost just to find metal deposits.
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

You can try to force it to use only integrated Intel graphics, performance won't be perfect, but there won't be texture bug.
  9. Glorysaber

Glorysaber New Member

I am having same issue with my 2011 iMac ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB. What I've learned over the years is that people like to blame issues on graphics cards when 90% of the time its untrue. This is not a graphics card issue but an issue Uber needs to fix. You can't say it's a known issue for AMD just because 2 people had a AMD that had the problem. Ive seen this far way too often where people blame it on the chip but in fact it is just a plain bug that will be fixed in the future. Uber is just probably using some graphic feature that some older cards don't support or something simple that once defined (Not the simple part) can be fixed easily. All we have to do is wait for it to be fixed in a release.

It kinda sucks, before I couldn't play because of performance and fps now the old issues are fixed I can't play because of this.
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Every issue with PA it's something Uber needs to fix, no mater it's their bug or Apple/AMD/Nvidia/Intel bug. I totally sure if this were easy they'll fix this already, so it's most likely very tricky problem.

This might be true if that also happen on Windows/Linux as well, but this happen only on OS X. So it's definitely drivers issue.

And also it's seems to be happen on every Mac with AMD, not only old ones with old GPUs.
  11. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

I've had this, and still have it, since a few builds back, though it wasn't there at the time I first played the alpha. Same thing, 3 year-old mac with AMD card. Hopefully this won't be an issue when I get my new MBP at the end of this week.
  12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's depends on what videocard is inside. :D
  13. aeonsim

aeonsim Active Member

@negascout @christopherschultz @mrosseel

For all the new Beta players:

If you press F11 the game will switch to a debug mode known as Flow field view, which will show you were things can walk. It's enough to make the game playable but is rather ugly. Press F11 to turn it off again.
  14. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Hmm, Intel HD 4000 + NVIDIA GT650M with 1gb GDDR5

that should cut it, right?
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Yeah it's should be okay.
    As long as I see on Windows most Nvidia users have problems and on Mac AMD users mostly.
  16. christopherschultz

At first, I didn't force anything (expected dynamic-switching) and what I got was:
    • gfxCardStatus says "i" indicating it was using integrated graphics
    • reflections of my web browser windows (in reverse) all over the bounding cube of the universe in the background of the game)
    • an ultimate crash
    I'll try forcing integrated to see what happens.

I have an old Windows laptop that looks great, performs badly.

*Bonus: in the game I started on my older laptop, the AI totally went brain-dead and is just sitting there. Gives me a chance to play around with all the toys without worrying about an opponent ;)
  17. christopherschultz

Aah, yes: running in discrete mode crashes the game ;)

Getting the new build this morning... hopefully that will improve things.
  18. christopherschultz

Build 54459 is an enormous improvement. I'm still seeing other windows reflected on the bounding cube (I took a screenshot this time.. not sure the best way to attach it).