Build Notes - 54357 / 54382 / 54412

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Raevn, September 26, 2013.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

So, has anyone who is still awake figured out how to control planetary collision to smash an enemy yet? I have a block of 3x3 delta v engines sitting on a 1000 moon, just letting the server run idle for an hour and a half waiting to figure it out lol.

NVM, someone posted elsewhere, it takes 3 to move 200, so my 1000 will take 11-12?

Btw, that's a lot of metal, energy, builders, and build time. Will that ever be accomplishable in a real game? If so, turtling a planet has got to be pretty easy, and once its launched its got to have no counters whatsoever, whatever it hit dies with deathnote-esque resistance, which is none at all.
    Last edited: September 26, 2013
  2. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

The volume of a sphere doesn't linearly increase with planet radius. If each engine can move a set amount of volume, and a body with radius 200 takes 3 engines, then a 1000 radius body would take 375 ;)
  3. xedi

xedi Active Member

If you zoom out, you get indicators of how many Halleys are needed per planet, they have the delta v engine icons. If you don't see any, it means the planet is too heavy for it to work.

I'm not sure exactly why some have an S inside though. Does that mean it needs super thrusters?
  4. thetrophysystem

LOL! You mean the marker for "south"?

And I am almost entirely sure you mean mass INSTEAD of volume. Volume would at most affect how much surface area it would have available to put thrusters on, while mass is the measure of how much matter it has, how much literal existence in terms of total atoms it has. Mass has weight dependent on gravity, under earths gravity any 1kg weighs 40lbs (don't correct me on that), but volume does not, as a bar of gold weighs 40lbs but so does a human-sized chunk of carbon.
  5. xedi

xedi Active Member

No no no. This is what I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

The top moon there, for instance, takes 3 Halleys to be able to control.
  6. vipez

vipez Member

Maybe it's not a "S" but a "5"? Like 5x5 ?
  7. hohopo

hohopo Member

25 thrusters (5 by 5) is a heck of a lot to put on. It may just be we are still playing with a sub set of units, some of which they may have hidden from even the great and powerful raven...
  8. thetrophysystem

AWCMTHEFCKON!

I was just setting up a KEW when the gaddang power went out. No joke.

Sigh. Always days when updates come. Well, lets start all over again...
    bongologist likes this.
  9. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Awesome that we will finally have some more units to play with (even if they are still locked from our current versions). Looking forward to the Flux and Recluse.

Edit: Damn timezones btw. The patch came while I was asleep and I am still at work.
  10. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

So orbital fighter are kinda pointless against solar arrays as they are half the speed?

Maybe a typo with advanced radars sight?
  11. extraammo

extraammo Member

Restricted aim makes me sad. Like, whenever I brag about how awesome TA is, I mention that everything will at least try to shoot at everything. I always hated one-way exchanges in RTS games and I'm going to miss the all-shoot-all dynamic :(
  12. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

'Fraid that's the direction we seem to be heading in extraammo. It's about making the interplay between layers conform to the bare minimum of variables, thus making it less complicated to 'balance'.

Emergent gameplay behaviour is being sacrificed for predictability and control.
    liquius and extraammo like this.
  13. extraammo

extraammo Member

I'm okay if just a few units are like that but it makes more sense for effectiveness, to be the determination of unit choices for inter-layer confrontation, rather than restriction.
    nanolathe likes this.
  14. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I agree. I imagine this is a temporary fix to stop ants being so overpowered as we start Beta - which is entirely understandable. I'm hoping they'll come up with a better solution in time.
    liquius, ace63 and extraammo like this.
  15. nanolathe

Wait? Are you saying you don't want the arbitrary rock-paper-scissors mechanics that every other RTS is known for, but that Total Annihilation (the supposed spiritual inspiration for Planetary Annihilation) was famous and beloved for?

Well good golly gee wizz. If Gunshin could see us now.
    :p
    ace63 and extraammo like this.
  16. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

[​IMG]
    slavetoinsurance likes this.
  17. nanolathe

Hoyvin-glavin indeed.
  18. rabidfrog

rabidfrog Member

Why does PA_Music.fsb take sooooooo long to download: I want to play already! ;)
  19. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Ta is balanced? Far from it. Yeah there are more unit choices but any game played by the better players use maybe 4 attacking units per map. (Excluding PDs). TA should just be called hawk wars now.

This is coming from someone that has played TA for 15 years and loves the game. But to think it has a paper scissors rock system unlike any other rts is wrong.

I'm sure if pa has as many units as TA some people will think its pretty balanced while the better players will probably just spam what they consider to be the most efficient uhits
  20. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

So it's just like any game with dedicated AA units. If you want to protect your ground forces either build enough AA units or cover with air.

It isn't an exploit, it's called playing the game.
    RainbowDashPwny likes this.