PA on SteamOS?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Slacker, September 23, 2013.

1. SXX

SXX Post Master General

You don't really need to stream game which running on Linux.

You can't run it on RPi because there is no ARM client for Steam, not even 64-bit version for x86.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

on that note, that really needs to be fixed. like hello? steam client is installing Pa in program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common I take it?
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Why this need to be fixed? On windows PA contain both 32 and 64-bit executables.
  4. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

I can already do this with my PC though. :D
  5. pudeldestodes

pudeldestodes Member

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/ as mentioned under "in-house streaming".. as long as int means streaming of the game data as a video stream and not the game files..

you're right about the rpi architecture..but if the game will be a video stream, there also other possible solutions with a lean pc connected to you're tv
  6. retrry

retrry Member

You can't run it now. But look at Nvidia Shield. It has ARM processor and it has Steam client and you can stream your games to that. Wild speculation: SteamOS streaming will be on Nvidia Shield technology so ARM client is very possible.

Edit: just look at the tweet from Valve employee here.
    Last edited: September 24, 2013
  7. paprototype

paprototype Member

Code:
    In-home Streaming

You can play all your Windows and Mac games on your SteamOS machine, too.
    Just turn on your existing computer and run Steam as you always have -
    then your SteamOS machine can stream those games over your home network straight to your TV!
    Very nice feature.
  8. tatsujb

if this requires already having a computer, how will this help convert console gamers?
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I doubt Valve ever want to deal with console players, but with low prices SteamBox can easily gain popularity in poor countries where is currently no traditional console market.
  10. tatsujb

but it won't help if you don't have the pc to run the games. i thought the steambox would have it's own hardware. :(
  11. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Why install an OS designed to run on a TV with a remote/pad if you are going to plug a mouse and a keyboard on it?

exactly,dont see the point too ;)
  12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Streaming is for titles which aren't native on Linux.
  13. retrry

retrry Member

Now that is just illogical :) Why wouldn't they wan't to deal with console players? As I understand the main thing of SteamOS + SteamBox is to be attractive to console players.
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Because Valve isn't as big as Microsoft or Sony, they can't create own ecosystem from scratch in one year. I wish them best of luck, but I think all this activity is more for some basic diversification, than idea to create some console right now. E.g they will create it's all slowly and won't try to sell in to large audience.

If they want to appeal to console audience they need to get native Linux ports of at least most of new AAA titles. Yeah there is Ubisoft and EA games which is really hard task, but they also need GTA5 (it's obviously will be released for Windows in 7-8 months), Witcher 3, Mad Max, Thief 4. Can Valve manage to get native ports of those games? I don't sure, really.

Streaming is good idea, but only for PC audience. Many console-oriented players have nothing else except cheap laptop with Intel HD or some low-end Nvidia/AMD GPU connected though laggy wi-fi. And streaming aren't suitable for those players.
  15. al3xtec

al3xtec Member

Thank you! This is what I was hoping to find. :)
  16. goodbean

goodbean Well-Known Member

Since PA is going multiplatform including linux, its not much of a stretch. Just wondering if there will be alternate control methods besides mouse and keyboard that would fit the living room.
  17. retrry

retrry Member

They can't? They already have the ecosystem and they are the biggest player in digital games market which means they have a some leverage :) Show me a console launch that has/had 200+ games on day one.

And about this will see in the future. It would be pretty stupid to think that they charged head-on without a plan :)
  18. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

If the game is just a console port (except for previously Xbox exclusive titles):

Of course native Linux ports are possible. Not possible for Xbox exclusive titles since they were written for the DX graphic stack exclusively, but games which had also been released for the Playstation are usually flexible enough to be ported onto OpenGL as graphic stack and every OS of your choice.
  19. overseeker79

overseeker79 New Member

I wouldn't expect that it would be too much work seeing as how PA is already being built to be played on STEAM ... and xPlatform ...

would be awesome to have galactic battles on the big screen in the living room :)
  20. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Gears of War for example is made on Unreal Engine and I know few guys who seen GoW3 on PS3 in Epic office. Also used graphics API aren't important at all, exclusive games are exclusive because Microsoft/Sony paid for it.

And one more important thing: porting from D3D to OGL is much easier than porting from PS3's LibGCM which is used in most PS3 titles. PS3 games don't use OpenGL, it's just big marketing lie of Sony.

Also porting from D3D/Windows is easier because there is already tools for that, e.g Ryan Gordon tools:
    http://icculus.org/
    And PS3 got alien architecture with low-level GPU API. Xbox360 also got low-level options, but most game still use normal D3D on it with some low-level tricks to improve performance.
    Last edited: September 25, 2013