For Backers Only: Faction #1 Symbol Thread

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, September 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

O/T: What's with all the cthulhu in here?

'Mrcthulhu', 'cthulhukid' - are tentacles the in thing now?
  2. Devak

Devak Post Master General

first off: credit to mrchtulu for some of the stylistic ideas. But this is how i imagined it to be:

[​IMG]

COG:
    The cog both represents the machine nature, a planet, and how each planet is only a cog in a greater machine.

it represents a bird grasping a planet. It's very simplistic but symbols should be simplistic.

Orange: bird
    Red: face and talons of the bird
    Black: cog.

EDIT: hold on, i'm making the bird UberOrange
    EDIT2: it's difficult to find the exact shade of orange to get UberOrange
    EDIT3: Oh my god. so many likes! thank you everbody! (just a humble engineer here)
    Last edited: September 25, 2013
  3. mrcthulhu

mrcthulhu Member

Well... the master is coming, and his voice must be heard... so that the world may be raised from it's low pedestal to a new and higher ground... where we may be turned into proper beings...

- Nah only kidding it's just a coincidence :rolleyes:
  4. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

All the talk of the tentacles in the lore probably brought them in.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  5. dreadflint

dreadflint New Member

Too American? The Romans used the eagle as a symbol before us, if anything, America is ripping off Rome.
    Nelec likes this.
  6. angelmolina

angelmolina New Member

Wow, I really like this one. I vote for that.
  7. Nelec

Nelec Member

I am really loving the militaristic German eagle look.
  8. irishscott

irishscott New Member

^^^^ Awesome.
  9. xfreezy

xfreezy Member

from all the entries here I think this is the most profesionel one.

Also I'm surprised that not more artists proposed something yet :p
  10. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Personally I think this is by far the best symbol produced. Very stylised and simple (which is definitely in keeping with the game)...

It would also look good in a range of variations (e.g. just as an outline of the main shapes as if engraved into metal... like on a shield or large section of armour on a Commander perhaps?)
  11. mrcthulhu

mrcthulhu Member

I'll take a crack at 4 and 1, maybe 3 after.

Looking good, I'd say fatten/define the arms and tail more; and the eyes should be put above the cog because as it stands it looks like another claw, after that add another smaller triangle alongside the claws and that could be a pretty sweet symbol.
  12. little

little New Member

I really like the simplicity of the design! Fits very well into the PA style.

I like the idea behind it, but I find it a bit too... "detailed" for a logo used by machines. I would expect their logo a bit more of the "function over form" approach. Maybe try a version which has a bit less detail in it to see how that would turn out?
  13. alantoner

alantoner New Member

How about incorporating a legion motto into the banner. I was thinking of something along the lines of "Corpore Ferrum Cor Ignis" (Body of iron. Heart of fire). It follows along with the Roman legionnaire theme they are going for and every organization needs a motto.
  14. mrcthulhu

mrcthulhu Member

And done!, going to give 3 a leave, having nothing but problems with the crushed planet, and I've had enough after the lion...

PA_Faction1Symbol_5.png PA_Faction1Symbol_6.png

To be fair, the size of seeing these symbols isn't going to be viewable save from in fanart and close up screenshots, an abbreviation of the faction name could work, but a full motto isn't going to be large enough without dominating the unit itself (Would be cool to see a faction skin which was just one colour and the motto sprayed over the unit though...).
  15. Nahtonaj

Nahtonaj Member

Just putting this out there, but since there will surely be other factions, maybe not playable, but other factions for sure. What would be a symbol for the progenitors? I don't think the progenitors will come about until later in the story line which also arises the question as to who this first faction is fighting in the lore? Since the progenitors are being built up so much, they will have to have very strong visual styling as they do already in the commander. So based on the nearly nothing we know of the progenitors and what their commanders look like. What are some ideas for the progenitor symbols? Perhaps some of the ideas to come from this might transfer over to the brainstorming going on here.
  16. mrcthulhu

mrcthulhu Member

I think that would require a separate thread entirely, but as a starting off point I'd say that it could be based around a monolith-looking thing or an all-seeing eye like HAL;

Or something along the lines of dominance or authority, due to the power needed to control so much of the galaxy and have the tech to create AI super-armies.
    lordxanos likes this.
  17. Peepl

Peepl New Member

Hologram flag? A metal pole with a flat hologram of the flag.
  18. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Living inside of a machine instead of a flesh-bag means nothing.
  19. alantoner

alantoner New Member

Agreed. I don't think it would be integrated into the symbol directly. I do think if they develop a flag or a story line, it could be integrated into those.
  20. cthulhukid

cthulhukid New Member

Just a name from an old Kingdom of Loathing character I had maybe 4+ years ago. It has a nice ring to it.

Besides, when you go plumbing the depths of the vastness of space, there's a good chance you'll run into some of the Great Old Ones. :cool:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.