Space Battle?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by atharol, September 21, 2013.

1. atharol

atharol Member

So anyone know how it will work with the transport between planets? ive heard there will be teleporters and also ive seen a trailer proving you can shoot away your commander with a rocket to another planet.
    but will there be Ships? like transport ships,small fighters and battlecruisers you can control?.
    i guess it would be very unstable if the battlecruisers could shoot on planets from above but i asume that would be disabled ;).
  2. shockchief

shockchief New Member

as far as i know, the idea is that orbital troops will exist, people call it air v2.0.
    how exactly will the launching units work no one really knows except uber atm, but there will be no space battle aka the battles will only take place in proximity of a planetoid
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

you should NOT expect to have startrek or starwars like spacebattles ..
    the focus is on surfacebattles even tough there might be stuff like orbital fighters
    they will be planetary only not interplanetary .. but transports or landers will be interplanetary as well as nukes
    and i imagine long range artillery would too ... actualy capturing asteroids is what will be your pseudospaceships since you can build engines, weapons and unitlaunchers on those

ps: for the future please search the forum for existing threads first ..
    this topic has been openened a couple of times already
    Last edited: September 22, 2013
  4. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

There will be no ships. At all. The only spaceships there might maybe be are interplanetary transports, and those will likely be unarmed.

The player base and the developers are strongly opposed to both a wet navy in space, as well as an Air Force in space, which constitutes the entire realm of spaceships. Small satellites will be the primary currency of orbital combat.
    lokiCML likes this.
  5. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Uber has said they want to emphasize battles around planets. Heavy space power will ruin the ground war.

Space/orbital vessels can still take up some support and artillery roles, but it won't be the game's main focus.
  6. sirstompsalot

sirstompsalot Member

Well, I don't know about you, but I have a calling to mod in space battles.

Why? Cause AWESOME suckahs!
    archcommander, lokiCML and tatsujb like this.
  7. GalacticCow

GalacticCow Active Member

I'm sure that's on the top of the hypothetical "for community to mod" list.
  8. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

There's been lots of speculation on this, and nothing is very definite.

The only definite thing is there won't be any Star Wars/Star Trek/Battlestar Galactica style space battles.

Uber has experimented with orbital (NOT space) combat, but they may take those out.

As has been mentioned, Uber wants to focus the game on ground war.

Everyone does expect mods to come out for space battles.
  9. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Evidently, PA aircraft don't need air to fly. All you have to do is kick those thrusters into full blast and fly out of orbit.

Voila, space battles. Of course, since T1 aircraft are made of paper, they'll probably get carried off by the solar wind.
  10. aerospacefanatic

aerospacefanatic New Member

Being in orbit takes significant speed, and it also takes a lot more to change your direction (slowing your current orbit and going in the direction of the new one). It's not like you can use air to brake and turn like aircraft (and aircraft really should not be working on airless worlds). Also, there is quite a large difference between getting to space and getting to orbit.
  11. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

well we don't have orbits for units, I think that's what Dementiurge was reffering to.
    For a refference on how the forum community took it when the first orbital units were released here is the thread started by neutrino. please read without posting on there again: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/orbital-units-2-directions.51008/

And this is the biggest thread about possible orbital impementation before the orbital units were in Pa started by YourLocalMadSci : https://forums.uberent.com/threads/a-comprehensive-example-of-orbital-combat.49829/
    there are many more threads you can search for.
  12. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

The point is, PA's aircraft DO fly on airless worlds. That, combined with their long range and high maneuverability, means they have more than enough thrust and fuel to reach orbit.

I highly doubt anyone is going to remove aircraft from the Moon and Metal planets because of this petty little discontinuity with real world physics. That also doesn't mean anyone is going to merge aerial and orbital combat (e.g. sending bombers cross-planet to harass an opponent's asteroid base), but the possibility is there if it's wanted.
  13. verybad

verybad Active Member

I hope someone DOES mod things like aircraft from airless worlds, just because there's no difference between any of the worlds now except the way they look. It would be a LOT cooler if they had to be played differently.