For Backers Only: Faction #1 Faction Naming Poll

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, September 20, 2013.

?

What Do You Think Our First Faction Name Should Be?

1. Pax Machina (Machine of Peace)

479 vote(s)
    28.3%
  2. Legonis Machina (Legion of the Machine)

665 vote(s)
    39.2%
  3. The First Empire

126 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Imperium (Empire)

425 vote(s)
    25.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bovinovino

bovinovino New Member

got a new idea for the name. Principatum Machinorum Sapientiae. It means Reign of the machines knowledge/wisdom. it is direct. It states the superiority of this faction. Its acrhonym is PMS
  2. ehyehasherehyeh

ehyehasherehyeh New Member

I came in here to vote for "Imperium" because I felt the name needed to be snappy, and the I liked the straight-forward nature of it, being simply a description of what they are. However, my mind was changed by some excellent posts on linguistics and meaning and I am now leaning towards the Pax Machina, though I also join the ranks of those who wish it updated to a more grammatically correct form (Are we not nerds? Whence our pride if not from being *right* about things on the internet?).

I favor Pax Machinarum (which I am given to understand translates as "Peace of the Machines"), as this is nicely representative of the faction's aims as I understand them, has a lot of subtle flavor and possibilities for interpretation, and, not least, sounds kickass even with no understanding of Latin.

(Oh, the irony that I must pass captcha to prove I am no robot in order to post my opinion on the politics of machines :D )
  3. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I'm not sure I think correct latin grammar is actually a goal here. We use plenty of words (in all the languages we speak not just english) that are bastardizations of latin and greek words. If the words actually sound awesomer that's a bonus but some of these are going to be hard for people to wrap their heads around I think.
  4. dustov

dustov New Member

I like the idea of Roman designations. But I think keeping it Roman rather than mixing in Greek would be more consistent. I like Pax Machina personally.
  5. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

I'd just like to bring this point up again, as it's a valid issue. Why would (essentially) living creatures define themselves as machines simply because they can create copies of themselves? If we start cloning humans on a large scale, will that turn humans into machines?

For this reason, it'd be great if we could combine the first two options into something like Legion of Peace, which, with my epic google translate skills becomes: Legionem Pacis.
    ucsgolan likes this.
  6. amuhrer

amuhrer New Member

i voted for pax machina and would be happy if the latin of it was improved.
    but i would totally change my vote if 'the last empire' was up for grabs. no empire builder ever thinks they are building the first one. they all think their empire is going to last forever.
  7. amuhrer

amuhrer New Member

if i can jump the gun a little, i think tempus lux would make a cool faction name. it sounds cool it it sounds like 'time of light' to non latin speakers. yes i know it just means 'time light', but it sounds much cooler than tempore lucem.

these commanders have trouble remembering their own name. how do we expect them to remember latin grammar?
  8. globalrelative

globalrelative New Member

Machina Pax Tempus

and on emblem written: Machinarum Sub Lux Pax
  9. Devak

Devak Post Master General

It's cool that everyone's flexing their Latin muscle, but also futile.

Yea this is my exact vision too, i'm glad i'm not the only one that feels that way.
    Legonis is weird, and i bet that in 2 weeks after confirmation, Legolas, Lego, 100 ways to spell it in proper latin, I Am Legion For We Are Many and every other conceivable joke will flood the interwebs.

Legonis machina and the Imperium choices are too generic.
  10. asteryz

asteryz New Member

The names are not bastardizations, they are correct. But the meaning is different to what they are portrayed to be.
  11. DeathToARM

DeathToARM New Member

I like Legionis Machina or Legio Machinae as this civilization has no civilians only soldiers or legionarys.
  12. Moranic

Moranic Member

I don't like any of these really. Pax Machina makes no sense since they're going to war, Legio Machina sounds too long to me, The First Empire doesn't sound badass enough and Imperium just means Empire and that would be a bit simple.

Why not stick to the eagle idea and call them The Aquilae? It's reasonable short, fits with the eagle idea and it sounds quite nice.
    lordbritish likes this.
  13. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Legion of the Machine.

Pax inferred too many things for my liking, though it could be a nod towards how they are inherently a peaceful faction simply trying to survive.

Imperium, eh, I'm a massive 40k fan but we don't need something similar.

The First Empire is nice and mysterious, but realistically they're not the first, or even the creators (Progenitors, heh). So nah.
  14. Artamentix

Artamentix Member

I don't like the use of latin in the first 2 names, Pax machina and legonis machina, to me it doesn't sound powerful and it doesn't roll off the tongue easilly. When considering latin or latin inspired faction names such as the Aeon Illuminate, it works in the sense that both words are also used in english, whearas pax, legonis and machina are not. I'd vote mainly for the Imperium because its short, powerful and a word used in english, and failing that, the First Empire.
  15. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

My original post about latin was a joke, if nobody inferred that.
  16. asgo

asgo Member

if assigning present day (technically not so present) Latin grammar to a future far far remote and where in the past of that future world Latin was longer used than in our case ...
    my point being, the translations of those terms can exactly be what they are described as, as long as you use the correct (fictional) reference grammar. ;)

the Latin discussion are fun, but not necessarily relevant.

side note, if the memory cores of those machines are as badly damaged as they seem to be, first year Latin grammar could be the first thing they lost (or as most students never stored it in the first place) in the process.
  17. osirus9

osirus9 Member

Now that it looks like Legionis Machina is going to win this poll, maybe we should have a second poll to see if people want to change that name to Legio Machinae to be more grammatically correct? Not to mention, I think it sounds more awesome anyway, and at the end of the day, more awesome things always win.
  18. angelmolina

angelmolina New Member

I like Legonis Machina but feels like it has too many syllables for my taste. I would have to vote for The Imperium only because it's the name of a faction in another game (Dark Reign) that I really liked.
  19. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Honestly I'm a little dissappointed. Over 50,000 backers and only just over 1,000 votes? 2%?
  20. comham

comham Active Member

Forums are never representative of the general population, even if you send out an email for a specific thing (this poll). Good case study I guess.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.