For Backers Only: One Moon, No Waiting

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, September 19, 2013.

1. Devak

Devak Post Master General

To me, the rockets firing in the kickstarter video was one of the highlights. Like, one of those "YOU DIDN'T" moments where you gasp in awe and amazement.

the design looks cool but i'd prefer it to be non-flappy when stationary.
  2. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

YES so glad neutrino is on top of the Orion starship idea

That vessel is my single most favorite mad science project ever. Collosal external casaba-howitzer powered combustion engine, huge blast shield and giant pistons absorbing the blast propelling massive vessels the size of cities ...

/drool
  3. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Wouldn't you already have this control, seeing as how the engines are all sticking out at odd angles, and not pointing in a singular direction? A cluster of independent engines that can trust independently could change the course of its asteroid by shutting down (or at least throttling) some of its engines.

The flaps just add an element of ... flimsiness.

I guess that makes sense though; they're going to have like... zero hit points and be popped by a single wayward tank shell just like all the other units.
    That is the accepted 'truth' around the office, is it not?
  4. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Whine about all the things.

Keep up the crunch work, Uber. Great to see progress :)
    lordxanos likes this.
  5. nanolathe

Fanboy-out over any of the things, even if they're questionable!
  6. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

Questionable in this case is highly subjective. And playing the fanboy card seems a tad unfair here, when people are merely expressing their happiness that we may soon have planet-smashing in game.

On the flaps, looking at how they fit together suggests that they are part of the operation animation. I assume that when not in use, the rocket nozzle telescopes into the base, while the flaps slide and fold, covering the aperture. I don't really have much issue with the flaps, and there are other animation effects that could be applied to them to help reinforce the impression that the player is unleashing vast forces in their efforts to move worlds.

The only issue that i could potentially have is that the base looks a bit square, while I personally prefer the more octagonal shapes we have seen before. However this is such a minor thing that it is barely even worth mentioning.
    lordxanos likes this.
  7. nanolathe

I see something I find questionable and I call it out. It's better than the alternative of just mumbling along with the rest of the crowd (at least in my opinion)

I have not claimed that this isn't a case of a highly subjective view on the matter. However, objectively, there are several people who have questioned these thrusters. Thus, this is a questionable move on Uber's part by definition. It's very obvious, just looking through this thread alone, that some people fall head over heels for anything that Uber puts out, regardless of what form it takes.
    I am not one of those people.
    Last edited: September 20, 2013
    rorschachphoenix likes this.
  8. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

If we want thrust vectoring, why not just have gimballed thrusters?
    ethannino likes this.
  9. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

For some reason I'm really hoping that the rockets eject a long lasting trail of something, so observers on Planet A can see Moon very obviously bursting towards Planet B
    lordxanos, ethannino and kongkillha like this.
  10. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Fixed.
  11. nanolathe

I'm flattered you think I hold such sway over someones choice as to whether they 'fanboy-out' or not.
    ;)

Or perhaps you're suggesting that this is an act done, purely in defiance of my position, regardless of the merit of the opposing position. Do I have that effect on people? That they would clearly take a flawed position over resorting to the alternative of actually agreeing with me?

Just to spite me?

Maybe I am that influential...
  12. YourLocalMadSci

Be that as it may, stating that people who like an aspect of the game only do so because they are fanboys, is not a credible position. Implying that the only reason why an alternative viewpoint is there is because it's proponents simply "mumble-along" is not constructive. It polarises dialog such that an individual's points are not judged on their own merits, but are judged based on how well they agree or disagree with some form of official dogma. It is purely ad-hominem, and attacks the arguer, not the argument.

I would despise a forum where such a thing was considered an acceptable way to make a point. I would certainly not bother to post there. It is a mistake I have made an issue of in the past (even in your defence), and it is something I will fight in the future, regardless of whom it is originated by.

This has been something of a tangent on the subject rational discourse.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled posting.
    lokiCML, siefer101, smallcpu and 2 others like this.
  13. nanolathe

Hey, If I wasn't being attacked in the first place by someone randomly popping into a thread just to infer that I was a 'whiner', I wouldn't have brought it up.
    ;)

If someone can pass off comments like that without being called out, I'd stop posting here too.
    Last edited: September 20, 2013
  14. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

I posted in this thread to express my support of planet smashing. Please don't make the mistake of presuming that you were my primary focus.
  15. nanolathe

Oh, so you were attacking multiple people, not just me.

Well that just makes it all better, doesn't it?
  16. YourLocalMadSci

You are whining Nano :rolleyes::

"n.
    1. The act of whining.
    2. A whining sound.
    3. A complaint uttered in a plaintive tone."

plaintive meaning sad or mournful.

However, this says nothing along the lines of "a complaint which is unjustified". Whines may be perfectly justified. You may whine a lot but I have no issue with that, if it continues to bring up pertinent points of discussion. Whine is merely a statement of how you choose to make the points, not the validity of those points themselves. Hence why i don't think of it as a personal attack.
  17. nanolathe

Tone is inferred on the internet. I'm most definitely not sad or mournful in my posts.

If you're not reading my posts like in a tone such that you're desperately holding back a veritable tsunami of sarcasm and/or condescension, you're reading them wrong.
    ;)
  18. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

I think the flaps don't look bad at all. I imagine they'd add a lot of life to an asteroid while they change their angles to correct the course etc..
    I'd rather focus my critique on more important stuff *cough* projectile speeds *cough* unit hitpoints ;)
  19. nanolathe

That was the wonder of my post though... I was able to pass comments on both issues.
    Post economy. I'm an environmentalist. ;)
  20. YourLocalMadSci

So you are saying that none of Uber's design decisions make you unhappy?

because:

Sounds and looks sad to me.

Anyhow, if you wish to discuss this further, I suggest we take it to a PM, as this is somewhat tangential to the topic.