For Backers Only: Faction #1 Symbol Thread

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by BradNicholson, September 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siggmund

Siggmund New Member

That's an interesting idea, actually. If we want to talk other Iconography related to Rome, other options include a laurel wreath with crossed Gladii, or a Scutum(The Roman tower shield)... that last one could even be used to give a "faction tactics at a glance", provided the faction's units perform as some kind of analog to how the legions operated.
  2. Badtoasters

Badtoasters Member

Turtle formation? Get it? XD EDIT-No one will get this
    And you're right it would be cool if you could turn your scampers/dox into legionaries!
    Last edited: September 20, 2013
  3. trousertrout

trousertrout New Member

I'm liking the gothic looking Volkswagen eagle posted earlier (post #14). It looks suitably machine like, replace the VW with a planet or something and you are golden.

Side note: I really hope some of the bot units from this faction involve a Scutum type object in their design. I can just imagine now massed ranks of bots advancing in testudo then crushing in with close range weaponry mhhhhhhhh!
    cinadon likes this.
  4. friendly0fire

friendly0fire New Member

I really like the idea of a phoenix, shaped just like the roman eagle would be ideal.

However, I think the planet's underselling the faction. They're ambitious and ruthless; why not have the phoenix clutch a star, or a galaxy?
  5. cthulhukid

cthulhukid New Member

How about this:

A pile of ashes in the shape of a dead bird at the bottom of the sigil, an exploding planet with burning chunks that resemble stars spreading out toward the viewer, a phoenix reborn is the main portion of the sigil with fiery wings spread wide (the exploded chunks of planets streaking larger under the wing resemble stars).

The dead phoenix represents the once-fallen commander. The burning, exploding planet represents the world of hurt they plan to bring to those who resist (and The Progenitors). The fiery phoenix is the reborn army--bigger, better, and badder than could be imagined. The streaking represents the prolific spread of this empire and the chunks that fall under the wings of the Phoenix represent that many stars that will eventually be nestled (safely?) under the wings of this Empire.

What's more to want? You have death, rebirth, awesome (fiery!) fury, the threat of annihilated planets, and the symbolism of stars under the wings (control) of the beast.

Yeah. :cool:
  6. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I think the symbol should be an Eagle firing an EMG out of its moth, while an army of PeeWees Scampers Doxen march below it.
  7. lonewingman

lonewingman New Member

In my opinion the symbols should be simple. So a similar style to the wings above, in the shape of an actual eagle perhaps?
  8. Rentapulous

Rentapulous Member

What about an olive branch laurel?
  9. dosbag

dosbag Member

A cloth flag seems a bit old and weak for a group of advanced machines, I am for the current idea of the eagle but if they happen to have an actual physical flag for some odd reason (not likely) it would look glorious as a standard that is holographic rather than a cloth and mounted on the back of the head of the faction. I found the 40k universe has always had excellent standards. However a symbol is probably going to shown in color scheme or emblems on the units rather than a physical flag.
    cwarner7264 and qwidmeyer like this.
  10. scorch44

scorch44 New Member

I like the idea of a Phoenix, that sounds poetic for a empire rising from the ashes. I also agree it should be clutching something else besides a planet, like the galaxy or a cog or something.
    mrwasquibl and williewonka like this.
  11. vymun

vymun New Member

Ok so since its supposed to be a roman legion style faction i do like the idea of the planet clenching eagle. I can't link anything so i changed my avatar to the image i found through google. I would replace the sun with a planet (or if you are so inclined, a solar system), and reduce the size of SPQR to move it closer to the image, probably with periods b/w the letters
  12. uberseptimus

uberseptimus New Member

I love you'r idea of the Roman/Classical empire theme for this faction, and I would agree with the eagle but I believe it's unfit in a time of Total War and devastating Machines. My proposal is to use symbols from The Byzantium and its 1st emperor Constantine the Great. You can modify the existing symbols with letters from the faction's commander for example.

S.P.Q.R is an initialism from a Latin phrase, Senātus Populusque Rōmānus "The Senate and People of Rome"-Wiki
    And so I don't find it fitting, If it were my call I'll probably go with something like "Imperium Terminus" which not only means "The last Empire" but also you can have you'r commander's name be Terminus, Plus you get the nice initials I.T

In the images below you can see Great Constantine's banner with the initials X.R which are the first letter's of Jesus's name in Greek~ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ. With this banner he founded his new empire. The Latin phrase "In Hoc Signo Vinces" means "with this symbol we triumph", a very fitting motto for a militaristic machine empire in my opinion.

The last picture is a red version of the Knights Hospitaller's Cross which from the first time I saw it in Rhodes Island I though it will look fantastic in a futuristic environment.

So to sum up I would go with Imperium Terminus cause its sounds kick-*** and "In hoc Signo Vinces" as a motto. The symbol of the Empire must be Red in my opinion, to highlight its aggressive and conquering nature.

Great Constantine.jpg In Hoc Signo Vinces.jpg Hospitaller Cross.jpg
    archcommander, kattelars and habaka like this.
  13. 1lostthegame

1lostthegame New Member

But if I understand what little lore they have given us, they don't remember humans, right?
  14. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

I like it.

[​IMG]
    Excuse the crappy photoshop skills.
    Gold eagle / Dark red background / black outline / Planet

Option B with 3 color pallete:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: September 20, 2013
  15. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

Now that I think about it, the cloth flag would be way cooler if it could be mounted as a cape on the commander ala the Gurren Lagann flag.
    taihus likes this.
  16. wolfman1911

wolfman1911 New Member

I am completely onboard with Septimus. As much as I like the idea of an eagle, possibly something like the UNT eagle symbol reimagined as jagged metal strips, I really like the imagery you suggested. Though I can't really see any context where a self actualized robot army would have the motto 'under this sign you will conquer' unless maybe it was handed down by the faction leader.

I also wouldn't mind wolf imagery, for reasons that should be obvious.
  17. lordxanos

lordxanos Member

phoenix.jpg phoenix holding/guarding a planet. Red seem very appropriate.
  18. borkyborkbork

borkyborkbork New Member

I have a really cool picture of a cow that I think would look awesome.
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  19. legola

legola New Member

"Quick" doodle of first thing that came to my mind.
    eagle.png
    Perhaps could look more "cartoonish" to fit the game graphics.
  20. LordQ

LordQ Active Member

Awesome, but I would consider adding more colours to bring out the phoenix versus the planet.
    lordxanos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.