Adding Terraforming?

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Tontow, September 16, 2013.

1. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

If we are going to have terrain deformation then what about being able to level out the terrain so that it will be buildable again?

Or even digging a mote around your base or putting up a mountain range?

If you want a good example of what I'm talking about then go play TA spring http://springrts.com/
  2. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

3. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

I searched for the word "Terraforming". It came back with nothing. Thanks for the link.
  4. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

The link you gave is about units destroying the terrain. I was thinking more along the lines of construction units being able to change the terrain (IE: flatten, raise, lower).
  5. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

It is mentioned in the thread.
  6. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

mentioned but not discussed.

For instance, If we could use construction units to make mountains (make walls out of the ground) then should the current walls be replaced with a gate?

Do we want construction units to be able to change the terrain?

I think that if we do let construction units have the ability to change the terrain it should only be advanced tech and leave the current walls as basic tech.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

But they're still very much related, the same core idea drives both aspects and Neutrino's comments on it affect both.

To Neutrino, Terraforming is not a core element of PA, so it's not going to be part of release and honestly isn't all that likely to come after release either.

Mike
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

We were promised destroying the planet. They aren't adding building a la minecraft.

However, the planet generator already adds terrain as well as removes, and otherwise directly modify a normally round planet. This can be used to make mods, where units can add and subtract geometry from other existing geometry, leveling mountains and carving rivers and building up walls.

In an rts, id expect terrain be too exploitable if edited.
  9. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

What about digging a la mine craft? Dig a tunnel into the enemy base.
  10. KNight

No.

Mike
  11. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Digging a hole straight through the center of the planet would make an excellent counter to metal planets. The metal planet is just PEW PEW PEW PEW and your terraforming satellite just says "nope", blasts a hole clean through the planet where the beam would hit. The beam then travels through the hole, out the other side of the planet, and (not so) harmlessly into space.

Planetary Annihilation - the final word in strategic dickery.
  12. KNight

MushrooMars, you changed you reply, but I'm still going to reply to it because it took me awhile to remember where this was;

Mike
    Kruptos likes this.
  13. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I remember watching that, it was more of a reference to that crappy new version of Total Recall than based on logic.
  14. MasterKane

MasterKane Member

While I think that full-scale terraforming with tunnels, underground multilayered bases and stuff will add a lot of fun tu the game, it's unlikely that engine will ever support it, since it requires full-3D pathfinding (that one is really hard) and significant UI enhancement to support terrain cross-sectioning (not that hard, just tricky to get it convenient). Ajusting terrain height, like in Zero-K, should not be a problem though - it's just a matter of design decision.