Interplanetary artillery guns?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by h4344, September 15, 2013.

1. h4344

h4344 New Member

Can we expect any sort of artillery guns that can fire at other planets when they enter a specific range? It would obviously have to be rather close to be effective (with planet movement / balance issues). But it might be nice to utilize asteroids as mobile artillery bases rather than just death stars (don't get me wrong though i cant wait to hit a planet with one).

The only 2 situations where said gun could be utilized would be by either moving an asteroid close enough to a planet (assuming your not restricted to planet killer or nothing) or if 2 planets gravitational orbits take them within range of each other every so often.

Balance
    • Fires big boy shells so the impacts would be about 25-50% the size of a current nuke
    • Uses about 10000 energy per shot
    • Reload time of a minute or 2
  2. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

3. h4344

h4344 New Member

From what i read that only hints at a good possibility of one. Goes into no further detail past that one sentance mentioning it.
  4. exterminans

5. necroe

necroe New Member

personally i cant see planet to planet bombardment to me a good idea, rather it would be to be something you have to build near the enemy planet (ships to mass-propel asteroids, satelite-based weapons, etc.) this gives the defender easier time to actually defend against it.
  6. exterminans

Near the enemy planet? You mean like on the moon?

That's the idea ;)

You won't be able to do planet 2 planet bombardment right away. You need to get to a higher point first and accuracy is also reduced for ultra long shots. (That is if ultra long shots are allowed at all.)
  7. ethannino

ethannino Member

If the Pelter can shoot a certain distance on a certain planet, it should be able to shoot farther on a smaller planet.

It would sacrifice distance for accuracy, so if you're shooting a planet from the moon, then you're shots will miss most of the time. Something like an antinuke would protect you from these artillery potshots, and the unit cannon.
  8. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

So basically you want my original idea from the KS drive by shootings with planetary bodies? Fully agree it'd be awesome